I am a FT8 Addict and I need radio help

belvdr

No longer interested in living
BTW, I should have mentioned that I run FT8/FT4 all the time (but also CW/SSB). So the very complaint I have about awards being diluted is partially my own fault, if my logic is correct :)
I've tried remembering the details, but it was 6-7 years ago. It was a minor event, so I don't recall much. In version 1.6 (maybe 1.7), you could configure it to transmit CQ and it would do so for a period of time, and respond to anyone who responded to your CQ automatically, then start calling CQ again. That's how I typically operated.

I did try FT4, but back then, hardly anyone was using it as it had just come out, and FT8 was all the rage.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've tried remembering the details, but it was 6-7 years ago. It was a minor event, so I don't recall much. In version 1.6 (maybe 1.7), you could configure it to transmit CQ and it would do so for a period of time, and respond to anyone who responded to your CQ automatically, then start calling CQ again. That's how I typically operated.

I did try FT4, but back then, hardly anyone was using it as it had just come out, and FT8 was all the rage.
FT8 is so slow that my attention span can't deal with it. With the SFI pretty good these days, there is usually quite a bit of activity on 10/12 FT4 during the day, 15m to a lesser extent for some reason, and 20m. I use it because I really have a crappy location, squeezed in amongst a heavily forested property with a 100 ft shale wall directly to the east of my place. FT4 is much more "fun" than FT8 since the exchanges happen so much more quickly.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
FT8 is so slow that my attention span can't deal with it. With the SFI pretty good these days, there is usually quite a bit of activity on 10/12 FT4 during the day, 15m to a lesser extent for some reason, and 20m. I use it because I really have a crappy location, squeezed in amongst a heavily forested property with a 100 ft shale wall directly to the east of my place. FT4 is much more "fun" than FT8 since the exchanges happen so much more quickly.
I agree, and that's what attracted me to FT4 initially. I had good luck on 15/17/20. 40 was always more active than the others, but there was room to jump in. I tried 2m FT8 once and heard no one. I always thought that would have been an interesting catch.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I agree, and that's what attracted me to FT4 initially. I had good luck on 15/17/20. 40 was always more active than the others, but there was room to jump in. I tried 2m FT8 once and heard no one. I always thought that would have been an interesting catch.

I'd love to do some weak signal work on 2m. Again, pretty useless at my current location. Might manage a couple contacts simply because of the advantage of FT8. But not enough to justify putting up any decent yagi for it. Always wanted to do SSB on VHF/UHF. Maybe someday I"ll get the opportunity. Yeah I forgot about 40m, which does see a bit of FT4 activity at times. As soon as my furnace fan shuts off I'm going to jump on 10/12 FT8. The fan wreaks havoc right in the FT4 subbands on 10/12m.

Ugh A Index = 27, K Index = 7. That takes the wind out of my sails.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just about every HF radio produced by the major manufacturers in the past 20 years has had some form of computer control. I don't think it would be difficult to find a suitable radio on the used market.

Probably the least expensive new HF radios are the Yaesu FT-891 (if you can find one in stock) or the Icom IC-718.
DX Engineering & GigaParts are currently showing the ICOM IC-718 in-stock.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Normal WSJT-X won't allow you to operate unattended. It's pretty low if you operate like that (and I have a feeling you really dont). That's why the ARRL and CQ awards are garbage now though. People running the FT modes, but worse running unattended in automated mode. No skill, no work. Just rack up the QSOs.
You can't run FT8 unattended. Once you make a contact you can finish that one contact on auto, that's it.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You can't run FT8 unattended. Once you make a contact you can finish that one contact on auto, that's it.

There is software out there that allows for completely unattended FT8/FT4, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Not really sure what the point of that would be though, other than to just rack up contacts.

If you don't mind spending a little more money, the IC7300 is a great radio. I have one that I just use for FT4/FT8 and Field Day and the like. Probably a bit overkill just for FT4/FT8, but so easy to set up and use.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I also recommend the IC-7300. No fancy interface required for digital modes. Just connect a USB cable between the radio and your computer. That's it.

The radio uses SDR technology and covers 6 meters (which considering the current sunspot cycle, should be really hot for FT8 this summer).

K0WWX

I also recommend the IC-7300. No fancy interface required for digital modes. Just connect a USB cable between the radio and your computer. That's it.

The radio uses SDR technology and covers 6 meters (which considering the current sunspot cycle, should be really hot for FT8 this summer).
Another vote for the IC-7300. It's a much better choice than IC-718 for FT8. It has built-in sound card, USB CAT (as noted), even the FT8 presets built in. By the time you add the needed accessories to the 718, it will cost just about as much as a 7300.

Another good choice is a used Kenwood like the TS-590S. For FT8 it should be just as good as the newer 590SG or the IC-7300 and it should cost less than a used IC-7300. Has CAT and built-in sound card.

merlin

I used to enjoy FT-8 and my plane Jane IC-718 worked fine but I never tried hooking up CAT. There was not much to switch from digital to SSB, just reset the Mic gain, the power and make sure all the filters and DSP are off for the digital stuff.

Have not been on FT-8 for a while because I got put off by all the crowding in one little spot on the band. I had my SDRplay one one day and took a look, there was one spot on the band packed full of FT-8 and nothing anywhere close on each side. Not impressed!
I have found it about like any obscure never never land call that people want to log and let the pileup begin.