I cannot stand Halton EDACS system because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I haven't successfully monitored this system in ages.
I can get the Burlington Tower well enough, 2-4 bars on my 296, the freqs are listed in the LCN order, it is set in EDACS wide set to AFS.
I get activity, t/g's show up but very rarely do I get anything other than the wonderful EDACs beep beep beep
There is def activity on the v/channels but rarely do the tags and voice comms go 2gether.
I tried this out in Aldershot the other week and the same thing.
TIA, would appreciate some help.
Eric

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I remember someone talking awhile back about there being special patch talkgroups or something which make the Halton system a royal pain to listen to. I never listen to Halton, so I have no idea about the system or any of the channels/patches, but maybe that's what is causing the issue?...Aside from the crappy signal strength you're seeing. 2 to 4 bars should be enough to hear no problem, I can hear Toronto Police when the signal is down to around 1 bar.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Are you seeing valid talkgroups show on your display...if so problem might be in your scanner programming? EDACS must be programmed in in the proper LCN order.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
It is in the order listed on this site for the Burlington site. It was programmed properly.
Right now I am getting this tower at 2-3 bars from Toronto and I am always getting the t/g's and OCASIONALLY actually getting lucky enough to get voice transmissions (as we speak I am).

As I mentioned in my earlier post I have never had much luck with EDACS systems.
My 296, for whatever reason does a horsesh*t job on these.
Same went for Toronto's EMS EDACS.
I am off to Burlington 2day. I will play around with it and see how it goes.

If you want I'd email my ARC250 file and perhaps you can find that I am doing something wrong.
E

jellotor

Eric, one thing I forgot to ask...is it programmed as EDACS wide or narrow? It should be narrow, I believe. That may be the cause of some of your EDACS headaches.

rhutch

I monitor it all the time while passing through with no problem (396). Try EDAC's narrow like Jellotor said.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
rhutch said:
I monitor it all the time while passing through with no problem (396). Try EDAC's narrow like Jellotor said.

Yes i agree thats what i have it set to, but most of the time i get the patch groups only... After i get my 330T i will try and do a system search and see what we find maybe were missing a few TG's? Since i am close to the board of Mississauga and Oakville I get strong signal... I will also turn it on my feed now for the afternoon for anyone to listen to...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Guys: I tried narrow. On narrow it switches the mode from FM to NFM.
I also havent heard anything on it. When I lock onto the control channel on EDACS Narrow, nothing, no ids pop up.
On EDACS Wide there is sparadic action.
I can sometimes hear what is going on but most of the time nada. The signal was good in the Brant/QEW area but really weak in the Aldershot area.
Honestly I am at a loss; I have always hated EDACS systems; I 'd probably not give a rat ass about Halton but if there is a major incident it would be nice if an analog system that should work would work.

This is the orde rof the frequencies (I left channel 901, bank 10 blank):

It is set to the following:
Delay=no.
Record is 'checked'
Icall is set to On.
and the ID format is AFS.
Both the activity ID and
Emergency Alt are also checked.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Still the same ol' bullsh*t.
I am in the middle of the city of Burlington.
On EDACS narrow I cannot hear a thing.
On EDACS wide I can get the tower well but cannot normally track any talkgroups.
;-(((

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Pointed in the right direction and it works now.

Thanks to Rainbow 6 I got this system working!
I had the freqs in the correct order but I skipped a channel I.E. I used channel 901 instead of 900, a deference to my Pro 93 days (skip the 1st channel).
Thanks 2 all those who helped!
E

xml

The system makes excessive use of patches to not only interconnect the sites but to conveniently confuse the heck of your scanners. On a system radio, these patches are seamless.

jellotor

On a scanner with the patches programmed it's relatively seamless too. I was missing parts of some conversations at one point...programmed a few of the patches I had forgotten and was off and running.

niko

what exactly does the term patches mean, and how can i configure my pro-94 to pickup halton(oakville) edacs, because its not working!!!

can that file u guys have be uploaded to mine too?

Status
Not open for further replies.