• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I guess channel 19 is dead??? what are the truck drivers doing now?

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
To answer the original question, for Canada at least, in my neck of the wood (Qc prov) many truckers use “FM radios” as they call them.
Depending on which company they work for, many have VHF radios on company freqs but also use these VHF commercial radios on wide-area designated (simplex) frequencies for wood-logging and can thus talk between different company trucks (outside back-country wood-logging areas).
In B.-C. Province they have a similar concept, which they call LADD channels, they are simply 4 designated frequencies for wood-logging.
…But they tend to use them outside back-country roads as an alternative to (sadly) extremely short-range CB.

slowmover

1).

2).
SKIP Problems in Noise Abatement.

It’s in

(One) Who What Where
(Two) How

These may be longish for the barely-literate, but it’s important that context of use is understood, as, first (prediction), and, second, what alleviation (realistic) exists.

You’ll see that this is misunderstood in the second thread.

This is radio thus details matter.

Those details are why those posts were made.

A 1989 radio rig with average antenna system & physical installation doesn’t stand a chance.

Skip is the greatest set of testing conditions you’ll find.

These are paid opponents. About two dozen of them on AM-19 24/7/365. A form of censorship. Constantly recording and watching waterfall displays. Compiling reports behind a friendly, folksy level of BS. Encoraging dupes to join in.

Those who give up
go back to herd-member status. Defeated, and controlled (WAZE). The Enemy demands you bow down to his intercession in all things.

As to How, I’ve given you a level of detail I doubt you’ll find elsewhere. Your experience and that of others who tackle the stinkbug are the help I hope to receive in turn.

Last edited:

niceguy71

I've been waiting for Slowmovers response also?.. actually I asked the question to the forum... but I was tempted just to send it to Slowmover...... I can't believe he would shut his radio off as it's a life saver for fog / icy conditions and such a help for a detour or collision ahead...... but I can't see anyone being able to use it with the amount of high powered people on it constantly now

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
they use AM CB's on 19 to talk to scale house's and shippers to find out what door / location to back into...... truckers need 19 at a lot of businesses they use it for detours and so forth.... but with those mega powered radio's I doubt anyone can use channel 19 more than a few hundred feet away.
If they are at scale houses and business they hear each other fine.
I see a lot of gravel yards and warehouses in the area with a big hand painted sign out front that says "Truckers we use Channel12"... another company has one, say's we use CB 15
Most likely due to the fact that 19 was mostly used for travel, not business operations.
it used to be real handy having everyone on 19
Business operations and travel conditions equals **** show.

Look at channel 16 on marine. Used for hailing help. Once you hail, CG asks you to go to different channel to keep 16 open .

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
Part of the problem is we are pretty much right at the solar maximun right now. So skip is indeed very active these days. And it doesn't need to be high powered rigs. I've talked to England and Scotland recently with my stock President Mckinley radio (LSB channle 37 or 38). So you are going to hear a lot of folks on days when the skip is up. Which at the solar max is most days.
You could try listening a couple hours after the sun goes down. sporadic E skip need the sun and dies at night.

Your saying that your noise is always 9+ is also concerning and my be part of the problem.

A lot of cars now just scream radio noise on AM. On our last car I could not find a decent way to mount an antenna where it wasn't picking up a horrible screech from the cars electronics. Even when the radio was connected to a battery completely separate from the car. A noise floor of 9+ is going to really degrade your ability to receive anything but the strongest signals. When you say always 9+ is that:
Just on channel 19 or all channels?
Daytime and night time?
Is it as bad when the car/truck is not running? (you'll need a separate battery to test this you your CB isn't wired directly to the cars battery).
Is it as bad then the car in turned to the "Accessory" position (electronics truned on engine not running)
Is the noise there if you run the CB from a separate battery.

it could be engine noise or it could be things like the CAN bus in the car screaming AM noise into the air.

He said the noise is only on channel 19, from high powered stations, and the noise is not that bad on other channels. It is NOT RF NOISE from his vehicle. Wiring changes etc. will not make a difference in this case. It is high power stations jamming up 19.

niceguy71

Part of the problem is we are pretty much right at the solar maximun right now. So skip is indeed very active these days. And it doesn't need to be high powered rigs. I've talked to England and Scotland recently with my stock President Mckinley radio (LSB channle 37 or 38). So you are going to hear a lot of folks on days when the skip is up. Which at the solar max is most days.
You could try listening a couple hours after the sun goes down. sporadic E skip need the sun and dies at night.

Your saying that your noise is always 9+ is also concerning and my be part of the problem.

A lot of cars now just scream radio noise on AM. On our last car I could not find a decent way to mount an antenna where it wasn't picking up a horrible screech from the cars electronics. Even when the radio was connected to a battery completely separate from the car. A noise floor of 9+ is going to really degrade your ability to receive anything but the strongest signals. When you say always 9+ is that:
Just on channel 19 or all channels?
Daytime and night time?
Is it as bad when the car/truck is not running? (you'll need a separate battery to test this you your CB isn't wired directly to the cars battery).
Is it as bad then the car in turned to the "Accessory" position (electronics truned on engine not running)
Is the noise there if you run the CB from a separate battery.

it could be engine noise or it could be things like the CAN bus in the car screaming AM noise into the air.
when I said the noise was always over 9+ I meant just on 19 from sun up to sun down...
every other channel is normal...
but 19 is filled with high powered radios asking for skip or dead keying mics or just being stupid.... it used to be I could turn up the squelch and not hear these guys and talk over them for local conversations...... but I think their close enough that I can't turn the squelch up much more!
as soon as one idiot leaves 5 more take his place! it's like 19 is the new Super Bowl 6!
I don't see any way to ever use 19 for people travelling anymore...
it's always like someone is sitting next to you with 20,000 watts and dead keying the mic... my Signal strength meter is just about pegged, and my 12 watts AM can't talk over these guys.

slowmover

He said the noise is only on channel 19, from high powered stations, and the noise is not that bad on other channels. It is NOT RF NOISE from his vehicle. Wiring changes etc. will not make a difference in this case. It is high power stations jamming up 19.

During heavy Skip they tend to all be busy. On anything other than 19 it also tends to be friendly versus an induced frenzy.

slowmover

when I said the noise was always over 9+ I meant just on 19 from sun up to sun down...
but 19 is filled with high powered radios asking for skip or dead keying mics or just being stupid.... it used to be I could turn up the squelch and not hear these guys and talk over them for local conversations...... but I think their close enough that I can't turn the squelch up much more!
as soon as one idiot leaves 5 more take his place! it's like 19 is the new Super Bowl 6!
it's always like someone is sitting next to you with 20,000 watts and dead keying the mic... my Signal strength meter is just about pegged, and my 12 watts AM can't talk over these guys.

Post in thread 'I guess channel 19 is dead??? what are the truck drivers doing now?'
I guess channel 19 is dead??? what are the truck drivers doing now?

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
maybe "Mr nice guy" needs to get himself a 2000-watt amplifier and join the fun!
ok JK.

I started out in CB in the 80s and it was a different time then. everyone used handles or numbers. in the last 15 years or so here in Florida, CH19 has less and less activity, and when i do hear truckers, they generally refer to each other as "driver" hey driver, coming up on your left.
if they have a QSO they just talk, with little to no cb lingo.

I do find that local CB channels for the residents of particular cities tend to have more traditional cb talk and lingo, including the use of handles....

side note, remember sir mix-a-lot who rapped baby got back in 1993? hed a huge CB fan, his handle is prime minister.

sir mix-a-lot - no excuses on the bowl
lots of CB lingo
if the link doesnt work just search youtube for prime minister cb

slowmover

SNR reduction. Keep at vehicle problems as they’re usually masked.

Tackle Common Mode. Filter both ends.

RG240UF is generally accepted best choice for mobile (custom length).

Etc.

Skip is your “opportunity” to gold plate. See if it works.

Clarity is — literally — the game.

niceguy71

maybe "Mr nice guy" needs to get himself a 2000-watt amplifier and join the fun!
ok JK.

I started out in CB in the 80s and it was a different time then. everyone used handles or numbers. in the last 15 years or so here in Florida, CH19 has less and less activity, and when i do hear truckers, they generally refer to each other as "driver" hey driver, coming up on your left.
if they have a QSO they just talk, with little to no cb lingo.

I do find that local CB channels for the residents of particular cities tend to have more traditional cb talk and lingo, including the use of handles....

side note, remember sir mix-a-lot who rapped baby got back in 1993? hed a huge CB fan, his handle is prime minister.

sir mix-a-lot - no excuses on the bowl
lots of CB lingo
if the link doesnt work just search youtube for prime minister cb
I laughed... You think 2000 watts is enough??? .
...years ago if I was driving, 19 would be on with the GT
squelch up high and I could still hear people close giving / asking for traffic or road conditions ..
Guess I'll just give up on 19.... The old days are gone.

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber

I had considered getting a CB for traveling, but it seems like it would be a waste.

I was into CB way back in the early 70's, but now it is just a big mess.

Some truckers are on GMRS, but there is no official travel channel, and not the majority of truckers.

slowmover

I had considered getting a CB for traveling, but it seems like it would be a waste.

I was into CB way back in the early 70's, but now it is just a big mess.

Some truckers are on GMRS, but there is no official travel channel, and not the majority of truckers.

The Triumph of Evil is one man at a time.

Read what I wrote.

MiCon

Mike
back in the 90's CB channel 19 was always busy
First off, I appreciate your frustration. You asked a simple question and all you got was mostly references to the 'noise' level, and stories from other posters.
I don't know "what happened to ch 19". From what you've said, it's pretty useless as a travel channel. Is it possible that the truckers have switched to another channel for contact & info?
I'm not a CBer (used to be, back in the 60's). When I travel I take an extra scanner with me to scan the CB channels. I'll lock out the really busy/ noisy channels and see if I can pick up any local traffic on the others. Something you might want to try. In all seriousness, I've found that except for the garbage, there's hardly anyone using CB anymore.

a417

Look at channel 16 on marine. Used for hailing help. Once you hail, CG asks you to go to different channel to keep 16 open .

Helped by the fact that there is a single (federal) agency responsible for that task, and babysitting the channel.

Trucker700

that's kind of what I figured.... I think 19 is dead..... I don't really know what you can do other than turn off the radio... I see a lot of gravel yards and warehouses in the area with a big hand painted sign out front that says "Truckers we use Channel12"... another company has one, say's we use CB 15 I don't know how to deal with it... it used to be real handy having everyone on 19
I hauled all kinds of landscape rock and agricultural products before I retired. None of the quarries or loading facilities used channel 19 for on site communications with drivers loading or untloading. Each one used a different channel just to keep away from all the chatter on 19. Plus, they didn't want to cause interference to drivers out on the road.
When the sunspot cycle is peaking like it is now, it becomes a challenge to hear anything close by. Noise mitigation can help, but, it won't overcome a signal arriving at your antenna from a distant station that is stronger than the one right across from you.
There's not much you can do other than to lower your RF Gain and hope for the best.
James