I have to buy a new scanner for a Birthday President, need suggestions

Nasby

location it shows on my profile i live in the san juan islands so does my neighbor, lol

Sorry I didn’t delve into your profile.
Let me very clear since you seem to have “all the codes”. I’ll just say good luck to you.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Nothing sucks more than buying a scanner you thought would work in your area for a long time, to upgrade to digital not long after purchase. Better to future proof and buy a good scanner with what will eventually happen. May cost more but you won’t be buying another scanner. I think the 436 would be a good scanner for you and your friend. Phase 1 and 2, zip code scanning and not as expensive as the sds series scanners. Since you have the 536, you already know this. Others have posted other scanners that would work and less expensive. You will have to decide which is better for you. Good luck.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
I think for my neighbor I will do an at125 or maybe a whistler 1010 or a 1025 since she only wants the sheriff channel, lol for me I will do the 436, lol, I might just get her a whistler 1010 and a 1025 or a at125 and a uniden 365crs and call it a day she has both base and mobile, then she is good, lol

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Dang....I wish a friend would buy ME scanners...Then again, no. Because they ain't got a clue.o_O

RFI-EMI-GUY

yes it is but I am asking for suggestions I already have all the codes for san juan county and more, I am looking for suggestions for the late 40s or early 50s woman whos interested in the sheriff part of the scanner, lol I am currently listening to my 536 and getting a hoot out of it.
If all is needed are the anqalog FM conventional as opposed to P25t and trunked systems, there are many cheap and small hand held scanners. I just picked up such a scanner up for $20 at a hamfest that is tiny. I wont recommend this model because it has some technology barriers. (needs some programming hacks). But it should give an idea what is out there.

Here is one new $99.99 Uniden analog scanner.

etnad2

I live in San Juan County, all the population lives on islands, connected by a ferry. All local Fire, Law and EMS is conventional. Traffic is fairly low, and almost non-existent at night except for the occasional Fire/EMS dispatch. Our radio system was just upgraded, so I don't think we're due for an upgrade any time soon. The WS DOT trunked system does include the ferries, but it's VERY low traffic. The other traffic on that system out of county road related stuff. IMHO, a 436/536 is way overkill, unless you have a great antenna and want to hear some other distant county traffic. Save your money and buy a conventional scanner.

Akuriko

That's funny because in July everyone here recommended me to get a 536 and I did saying they can upgrade the system at any time, so i followed their advice.

and another thing is with my 536 i pick up 8 counties and Canada and on my 15x I pick up 4 counties so I to me it was money worth spending to hear everything in Canada, Whatcom, Skagit, San Juan, Snohomish, Kitsap, king, Jefferson, and Clallam

Reactions: wtp

RFI-EMI-GUY

That's funny because in July everyone here recommended me to get a 536 and I did saying they can upgrade the system at any time, so i followed their advice.

and another thing is with my 536 i pick up 8 counties and Canada and on my 15x I pick up 4 counties so I to me it was money worth spending to hear everything in Canada, Whatcom, Skagit, San Juan, Snohomish, Kitsap, king, Jefferson, and Clallam
Nothing wrong with a 536. I have one. But 99% of local traffic is on trunked P25 so few choices. I did discover that the VHF FM intercity channels are used a lot for BOLOS and hit and runs because every city and county in Florida has a different trunk system and the dispatchers relay those type messages on the VHF like an intercom.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I would go with Whistler TRX-1 handheld or the TRX-2 base. These 2 are P25 Phase 1 and 2 if your agencies go to P25 and trunking.

etnad2

You didn't list listening to all those other counties in your requirements, so I thought you were trying for just San Juan county. If you're in to all that other traffic, great!

Akuriko

You didn't list listening to all those other counties in your requirements, so I thought you were trying for just San Juan county. If you're in to all that other traffic, great!

No, because at the time I didn't know a 536 with a decent antenna could go far, I assumed with a radio shack pro 97 the sheriff was the only channel I could hear, then I got the 536 and programmed it, it opened my world, once I started scanning through sentinal and through the zip code scanner is was scanning pretty much so much I couldn't stop listening so then I started putting a list together counties by counties and figuring out how far it could go, the 15 was a gift and it was harder to program but I decided to try for 4 counties to start and it worked too, lol haven't tried the go bigger on it, I find it a joy to have, however, it is slow here on the island unless you get a traffic stop of other issues, as for my naibors birthday present since its for her to be nosey neighbor on the sheriff, lol why do you think when the sheriff shows up to our me and hers apartment complexe all the time, she has to be all nosey, I hear it, listen to it and then go oh, ok. as for her reqquirements she wants just the sheriff so a affordable scanner from amazon or scanner masters with a service search would be fine in my opinion for her, it can also work for her if she goes to whatcom or skagit counties as well in her car. or I can find her a brand new older model cheap on eBay in the box as well, new and well an open box can work too, lol as long as it takes batteries, and has a plug or can acquire a plug I would think she would be golden, lol

but back to my 536 for a moment I didn't and I repeat I didn't expect it to go this far out, but since it has I can say for a fact I only expected to hear a few channels not parts of Canada as well, lol, to me it makes the hobby more enjoyable knowing more knowledge from so many areas with a digital scanner, I could have hung up the hobby and moved on but I was determined to make it work and it has.

Chris0516

Now let me be clear as I want to utilize the 2nd question for myself, I am interested in getting a new scanner for myself as well, I can't have enough Scanners, so I was thinking of a uniden 436 or 325P2 for myself, I think the 436 would pair nicely with my 536. I wanted to get your opinions on both questions.
I second the response below.
Another plus for pairing a BCD436HP with your BCD536HP is you can share the same programming between them!

Akuriko

So the neighbors gift went off just fine, so what I did what I picked her up a uniden 355N for her office/2nd bedroom shes tickled pink, then I went and for her bedroom a whistler 1025, then for her car a whistler 1010.

and she had enough money to boot with the scanner project for rechargeable batteries when she goes off the island to take her scanner with her, all had electrical plugs.

before we delivered and installed the scanners I had to explain the reason for the scanner choices for the neighbor's gift, the neighbor is over 50 plus and forgetful, she got a lesson, I chose the models for ease of operation and no need to program, so far every time its on the fire/ police bands it picks up, that's all she wants anyways,

could have gone with the phase 1 digital trunk scanner but I think this will keep her busy all the time from any room in any part of her home or on the road.

for anyone interested in the conventional 355N look here

for the 1010 look here its also conventional

and for the 1025 look here.

anyone who wants a simple easy to use the scanner that has pre-set banks for what an elderly or disabled person wants to listen to i highly recommend it, I also spent some time on the installation and teaching so while helping out the birthday lady I decided to take review notes of the radios, I hope you all wouldn't mind reading the reviews when I finish putting it together on my word document. I love our hobbies of radios, testing radios and listening to radios :D

now back to my coffee, lol