I just scheduled a campus visit a ITT Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningman_77

At the Canton, MI location. For the School of Electronics Technology. Hoping to get a bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering Technology. Anyone have experience with this school w/ opinions? Or does anyone have a similar degree from a MI school that has opinions/recommendations? I see that Eastern has an electronics engineering program... And Central

Last edited:

RayAir

You are going to pay about $450 a credit hour and just their associates requires about 90 credits, in other words $30,000-$40,000 just for an UNACCREDITED associates degree. I don't even want to know how much a bachelors degree would run. I just haven't heard much good about ITT Tech. My friend went there for a computer degree and they had him rung up for $36,000 in loans, but here's the kicker, they said his starting salary after graduation would be something like $70,000 (so he told me) and entry level I.T jobs just don't pay that. He makes $20/hr now. I am sorry to sound negative, but I thought you should at least know. Don't take my word for it, check it out, but please compare other schools. PM me for more info.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I recall ITT Tech being investigated for some type of fraud a few years ago. Not sure what the outcome was.

TheZach

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ITT is basically a diploma mill school, its unacredited and family dollar toilet paper carries the same weight as one of there diplomas.

burningman_77

Yep yep...

I have been reading reviews on the net about ITT Tech. There is way too much controversy on this school for me to even give them a visit. And $450 a credit hour is rediculous!!! The "fast track" to education seems too good to be true. I'll go the more traditional route. BigBlue- I don't have the grades to get into M-Tech (one of the finest schools in the country), or the fat to survive the winters up there!!! Watch this video on the same degree I was looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHUOFMBo4PI (thanks SIG-INT). F Sally May for working with these bandits.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Electronics Degree

At the Canton, MI location. For the School of Electronics Technology. Hoping to get a bachelors in Electronics and Communication Engineering Technology. Anyone have experience with this school w/ opinions? Or does anyone have a similar degree from a MI school that has opinions/recommendations? I see that Eastern has an electronics engineering program... And Central

Like others have said, skip ITT. Too bad the ol' RETS wasn't still around. You didn't get a degree, but you did get an education.
If I was you , I'd just start at one of the community colleges. Schoolcraft, or HFCC, or Monroe or WCCC, wherever you live. You may find an associated from one of those is good enough for a decent job.
If you want to learn the communcations field, radio work, network infrastructure, whatever, the best education you are gonna get is getting on-line and figuring out how stuff works. And then getting hands-on experience, tear into it. Start at Agilent's website, the folks that make RF test equipment.
Download their pdf's on APCO-25, TDMA, etc.

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Community Colleges are the way to go. Also check out your local vocational technical high school's adult education programs.

KD8JUV

Have you thought about Ferris State University at all? I was up there for a semester to do their Computer Networks and Systems degree before I realized (mind you an expensive realization) that this degree was far more EET than I ever wanted to do. Being a computer guy by profession and not having much interest in how Ohm's or Kirchoff's laws affect the administration of a network/operating system, I was quite put off by the program and bailed. I am more than willing to talk with you about my short experience at FSU, just send me a PM. You can find the EEET degree for Ferris here: http://catalog.ferris.edu/programs/263/ .

G

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Community Colleges are the way to go. Also check out your local vocational technical high school's adult education programs.
Yeah, get your AS at a CC and transfer to a University for your Bachelor's. It's the best way to go when you can't immediately fund a Uni from the get-go.

KD8JUV

I do agree with RobKB1FJR and wayne_h that CC's are the way to go. I got my AAS from WCC in A2 however I wasn't paying close attention to Uni requirements. Keep your eye on what will transfer to whichever Uni you decided on and knock out as many non-program pre-req's as possible.

G

burningman_77

I already have been attending Schoolcraft College and have nearly maxed out the limit on credit hours you can transfer (60 hrs.). So... I'm looking for the next step. I also have seen and heard mny a good thing about the U.S. Coast Guard. They apparently have an excellent school for elecronics. And it's free :). Hopefully I'll see the recruiter soon... Of course I'm going to look at other things before I sign away 4 years of my life, but then again, it could be a very fun 4 years. Thanks for the replies people!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.