I need a 6 meter vertical

wz0c

Premium Subscriber
I've used the Diamond CP62 for many years and its got some gain but its also got some little capacitors in the base that limit its power. I burned mine up and replaced the caps with much better ones and now it can handle 500W just fine. I also had a Cushcraft 6M Ringo. Actually it was a heavy duty commercial version but the Ringos don't decouple the coax from the antenna very well and your mast and coax become part of the antenna. I only used the Ringo a few times camping and I recently dumped it at a local ham swap meet.

If I had to do it over again I would get the Sirio Tornado 6m 5/8 antenna for $89 US. It fairly bullet proof and there is a company that remanufactures what looks like a Sirio CB antenna into a super heavy duty version of the Tornado called a Dominator. Its nice but pricy.

A couple of the posts in this thread have mentioned that the Diamond CP-62 6m vertical antenna has capacitors in the base assembly. I have a CP-62, which I've been having a lot of trouble getting to tune (SWR 10:1), and it does not have the capacitors in the base. Does anyone have a picture of these and/or a schematic? Perhaps that would explain why this antenna won't work in its factory configuration.