I need another comm port

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
Im trying to run two scanners... a bcd996xt and996t using ProScan on an old Dell Optiplex running Windows XP Pro SP3. One is connected to Comm Port 1 using a serial cable. I tried to connect the second scanner using a USB cable... But under options for the software, I am only offered Comm 1.. no other ports appear. Is there something I can do to add a comm port? When I look at my device manager, All that is shown in COMM 1 and LPT1 (printer port) .. I dont even have a printer. Can anyone help?

spooney

When you are trying to install the second scanner, do you have the first one up and running while your trying to install it? If not then that is probably why it is not selecting the next available Comm Port or you don't have the correct software driver installed for the usb connection. Is your usb cable a usb/serial port type adapter?

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you don't have the drivers for your USB cable installed or they installed incorrectly. Plug the USB cable in and check device manager under USB devices. You should see the device listed there. If not, then you need to find the drivers and install them. If you do see it there, then check Comm ports again and see if it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.