I put an old crystal scanner back into service... with a new trick even the most expensive scanner does not have. You might want to too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

One day the toilet will analyze your pee... The results will go to the Feds - I mean your doctor.
We already have that, sort of. Our waste water treatment plants for different parts of the city analyze the waste for all kinds of different substances and we get reports that can tell how much cocaine there are from different areas of the city, most from where all the night clubs are of course, and how and when the levels change. High levels means more cocaine are on the market and have then a lower price and a higher risk of dealers trying to expand their territory with increased level of violence between drug cartels that often include innocent victims and a higher police alert are needed. Other analyzes are also done like the amount of antidepressive substances indicating people are not feeling well and the amount of desperate people have increased that are more suspectical to do desperate actions.

/Ubbe

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Do you have an old crystal scanner? If so, you might be interested in this...

A couple of years ago I purchased a mint condition RCA 16S400 crystal scanner to replace one I wish I had never gotten rid of. even in mint condition it doesn't look at home in my living room. So now it's sitting on top of the armoire out of sight, with the antenna upside down, but it works great. Anyway being that it's not easy to get to, I decided to give it a new function... VOICE CONTROL!

That is the beauty of those old scanners, if power goes out, no big deal, when they come back on they just start scanning again, perfect for an Alexa compatible WiFi switch. So now when I'm in the living room and want to listen to the scanner I simply say, "Alexa, scanner on". When I want to turn it off I say, "Alexa, scanner off". It's great for when I just want to monitor my favorites.

View attachment 155148
$15 in your neck of the woods

Bob1955

Do you have an old crystal scanner? If so, you might be interested in this...

A couple of years ago I purchased a mint condition RCA 16S400 crystal scanner to replace one I wish I had never gotten rid of. even in mint condition it doesn't look at home in my living room. So now it's sitting on top of the armoire out of sight, with the antenna upside down, but it works great. Anyway being that it's not easy to get to, I decided to give it a new function... VOICE CONTROL!

That is the beauty of those old scanners, if power goes out, no big deal, when they come back on they just start scanning again, perfect for an Alexa compatible WiFi switch. So now when I'm in the living room and want to listen to the scanner I simply say, "Alexa, scanner on". When I want to turn it off I say, "Alexa, scanner off". It's great for when I just want to monitor my favorites.

View attachment 155148
This RCA 16S400 was BETTER then the Electra Bearcat BC-4, Omega-TI
Use it in good health and if you ever need new crystals, they are now $15 each from Monitor Crystal Service in Watseka, IL and their number is 815-432-5296 and stay safe,

Bob

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
This RCA 16S400 was BETTER then the Electra Bearcat BC-4, Omega-TI
Use it in good health and if you ever need new crystals, they are now $15 each from Monitor Crystal Service in Watseka, IL and their number is 815-432-5296 and stay safe,

Bob
I'll keep that in mind, thank you. I sure get a lot of use out of that old scanner.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 scanner will return to the same state it was before power was lost. Which will power back up in the same scanning state it was in. Then I can connect with PROSCAN and make changes to the scanner without getting up and going to the scanner. This is something that your Crystal Scanner will not do.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 scanner will return to the same state it was before power was lost. Which will power back up in the same scanning state it was in. Then I can connect with PROSCAN and make changes to the scanner without getting up and going to the scanner. This is something that your Crystal Scanner will not do.

Ok, but like using the crystal scanner for my favorites because it sounds so much better than my SDS100 on analog frequencies.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to break it to you but my SDS's sitting side by side with my 15's and 15x's have the same range. My SDS's have a tinnier sound than my x36's all my bases 15, 15x 996p2 536 and SDS200 all power back on after a power loss but with 2000 watts of UPS backup power I do not loose power to my scanner rack often.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Sorry to break it to you but my SDS's sitting side by side with my 15's and 15x's have the same range. My SDS's have a tinnier sound than my x36's all my bases 15, 15x 996p2 536 and SDS200 all power back on after a power loss but with 2000 watts of UPS backup power I do not loose power to my scanner rack often.

Okay, if you say so... but this thread has gotten way, way, way off-topic and was NEVER about SDS radios in the first place. At this point I wish the moderators would just shut it down.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
All I did was to state my new modern scanners will do the same and more as your crystal scanner.

Yes, you did and I really have no issue with that, but if you go to the beginning of the thread you will see how this thread changed and stuff gets rehashed. It was originally just to give people an idea on tasking older scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.