I Really Need Some Help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lillth4

I live in Decatur, In. Which is adams county. I am wanting to buy a basic scanner but the more I read about them the more confused I get. I don't think we are digital here yet but not sure.
Please give me some good advise as to a scanner that would be approiate for me but not bust the bank.
Thanks so much for any feed back.

Lillth

K9GTJ

Lillth,

Turbo is right when he said you need a digital scanner. If you look in the database for Adams County - http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=693 - you will see this at the top of the page "Adams County has been issued talkgroups on the SAFE-T system."

The SAFE-T system is digital and is statewide radio system for public safety agencies and other government agencies like the IN-DOT. The system is digital.

There are conventional frequencies listed in the database but they likely are not used much anymore. I cannot be 100% positive since I am not nearby. Even if they have not made the swich to digital on the SAFE-T system, it looks like they will be doing that soon.

What you might do is contact hcsd35-32 via a PM - http://www.radioreference.com/forums/member.php?u=33949 - and ask him. He lives and works as a communications dispatcher in Huntington which is right nearby. He also has a live feed off the SAFE-T tower which might give you some idea what is going on too - http://home.comcast.net/~stanley071/scanner.htm

Good luck and welcome to RR.

Chaser945

Adams County

I also Live in Adams County....We are NOT!!!! Digital yet they are experamenting with it but I have a 200 Channel scanner from Wal Mart and here a lot of what happens in the county as well as the surrounding counties.

you can email me if you have any questions.

P.S. Decatur PD WILL!!!!!!! Ticket you and take the scanner if they stop you with it in your car.

Chaser

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Chaser945 said:
P.S. Decatur PD WILL!!!!!!! Ticket you and take the scanner if they stop you with it in your car.

Chaser

Unless you have a valid Ham Radio License, then, you are perfectly legal :) $14 to take the test, well worth it!

NightFox

scanner_freak said:
Huh? I don't get it..

Your post was opposite of what it should have said. Your post said that if you have a ham ticket that you are breaking the law. I just fixed it by changing the word 'legal' to 'illegal'. That's all :D

schnit

scanner freak,

I have a question, how does one go about getting a ham license? Also, is there a study guide available, and where could one go to take sucha a test in NE Ind.? Thx...

scannerfreak

Database Admin
NightFox said:
Your post was opposite of what it should have said. Your post said that if you have a ham ticket that you are breaking the law. I just fixed it by changing the word 'legal' to 'illegal'. That's all :D

um, ok:confused:

schnit said:
scanner freak,

I have a question, how does one go about getting a ham license? Also, is there a study guide available, and where could one go to take sucha a test in NE Ind.? Thx...

Everything you need is right here You'll find testing locations as well as the actual question pool. You can buy study material if you want. You can also google "Ham Practice Tests" and come up with a ton of sites that have the practice tests with the actual questions from the pool. Then, All you need to do is show up for the test when your ready, pay your $14, pass the test, and your done! Then you can drive around all day long with your scanner without having to worry. Well worth it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.