SDS100/SDS200: I think I made a mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Sorry to see you are having troubles I am running 2 SDS100's 2 325P2's and 1 436 in my car all setup the same sharing the same antenna and the SDS's hold their own beside the 325's and 436 I did play with the SDS's filters and that made them a lot better than they were out of the box. In my local area my SDS's have a little better range even on VHF and UHF compared to the 325's.
You mentioned filters : what of ???? Please explain .

Ensnared

So I sold my 436 and bought the SDS-100, expecting to be wowed. didnt happen.
I miss the 436. I miss the audio from the speaker. I miss the faster scan rate. I miss the simple, easy to read display.
Newer and fancier is not always better. I wonder if I can make a deal to get the 436 back??

Ed
KG5UN
Abilene, TX

Yes, I would agree. What bothered me the most about the SDS100 was the proprietary battery. Some of my past portable scanners used those stupid battery packs with a pigtail. I hated those. I prefer having the option of using my 436HP with AA batteries.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I would agree. What bothered me the most about the SDS100 was the proprietary battery. Some of my past portable scanners used those stupid battery packs with a pigtail. I hated those. I prefer having the option of using my 436HP with AA batteries.

Upman explained to us when the SDS100 was first released that the reciever design requires far too much power for "regular" batteries. You'd need like 8 or 10, and they would last an hour or two.

There's a reason cell phones don't use AA cells. :)

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
You mentioned filters : what of ???? Please explain .
Canelo56, The "Filter" software option was added to the SDS100/200 models in a firmware update. In some cases they can help reduce interference from signals that are close in frequency to what you are trying to listen to.

scooter1968

i finally pulled the trigger on the new SDS 100, i live in Spokane, WA the one P25 site i have has one Simulcast, and the rest are multicast, so i hope this works out

Bob1955

i finally pulled the trigger on the new SDS 100, i live in Spokane, WA the one P25 site i have has one Simulcast, and the rest are multicast, so i hope this works out
scoooter1968, just make sure you have the latest production model from 2020 from a reputable outfit such as Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland with a 30 day refund.
Stay safe.

KO4IPV

scoooter1968, just make sure you have the latest production model from 2020 from a reputable outfit such as Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland with a 30 day refund.
Stay safe.
My experience with this same scanner ! Was a little disappointed at first however very impressed with the display, I became very weary of my decision to no longer operate the 436 . Then one day I decided to take a 2 hr drive along the coast of Florida, my home base is in central Florida, in a more rural but very populated town of Lady Lake, surroundings are The Villages with150,000 people, and Ocala 110,00 , Leesburg also , but all went ENC some time ago , am now forced to draw my attention to a county some 50 miles away that is clear and all conventional broadcast, so I take this trip to the coast and lo and behold my scanner is pulling in everything I hoped it would and more , so my location had a lot to do with the location performance of this scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.