SDS100/SDS200: I think I made a mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So if you read the entire thread you would see that I have decided to keep the scanner for now.
I think you'll really appreciate the SDS100 more when you first run into a Phase II simulcast system, either when Abilene switches over, or in your travels in the RV.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Very good Steve, I will stick it out and see.
I am in the process of putting together a GPS unit for it now for my travels.
Stay safe,
Ed
If you had the old Uniden GPS, which I believe you had said, before, was used with HP, all you really need is a different cable. I use that with a GPS I ordered (if you need one, which I did). The only thing else needed is a good 12V adapter with about a 2 amp capacity. That's enough to run the SDS100, as well as the GPS, plus enough to also charge the battery on the SDS100 at the same time.

fasteddy64

If you had the old Uniden GPS, which I believe you had said, before, was used with HP, all you really need is a different cable. I use that with a GPS I ordered (if you need one, which I did). The only thing else needed is a good 12V adapter with about a 2 amp capacity. That's enough to run the SDS100, as well as the GPS, plus enough to also charge the battery on the SDS100 at the same time.
I went this route:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I went this route:
Good idea. Whatever works for you,

fasteddy64

So here we are, 3 months later.
I tried.
I just dont like it.
My SDS-100 is for sale on QTH.com and several Facebook for sale groups.

tumegpc

So here we are, 3 months later.
I tried.
I just dont like it.
My SDS-100 is for sale on QTH.com and several Facebook for sale groups.

Time to move on and get something you're going to enjoy. Even though I have the SDS100, it's the last one I choose to scan with. My top 3 scanners are the 436HP, 325P2, and the TRX-1.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
To the o p... I've actually been following this thread but never contributed to it, I didn't think I had to, plenty of experience people all saying the same thing for the most part.

I'm sure the deal is great for the guy giving you the 436 with 6 year old technology. I hope your new 436 works as good as your last one including the display. It sounds like you had a good 436.

If it means anything I couldn't read the display on the SDS 100 either. Way way too busy with a lot of crap I don't need to know, and the colors, forget it. I basically cleaned off the whole screen until I just had a few things I needed like what I was listening to in capital in the middle of the screen. Battery level, filter indicator, site and RSSI, all placed on the bottom of the screen. The name of the scan list on the very top under the volume and squelch indicator. I use white text on black background, but you could use black text with white background which looks just like a 436 but with the 436 you can't remove clutter from the screen.

There is so much on filters on RR. Some of it I have noticed is not accurate information and some of it is right on the money. If you don't use filters you are not going to get optimal results on systems or conventional channels. It's as simple as that. If filters don't help you you're not applying them correctly.

It takes time and new acquired knowledge to master the SDS.

Barring any mechanical problem it is far superior to the 436 once you get to master it.

Glad you got a deal on a 436 and the guy you're making the deal with is glad too. :)

Good luck... Bob.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yes you can set the filter to AUTO but that slows scanning. You can set it to GLOBAL then go to each system and set Custom or Global.
Yes I know it is a PAIN but you set each system not just GLOBAL and the scanner will shine.
I am running 1 P25 system with 4 sites....and from experimenting with filters, I have 2 of the sites set to "OFF" and have good results....no D-errors. And the third site is small and seems to run better with filter set to "WIDE-AUTO". Don't notice any slowdown but this site is small. And 4th site I am still experimenting with......it seems to have random distortion issues.....I tried each filter and left it on for a few hours.....really no difference on that site for some reason....I think it's my location. This site is smaller than the other one so if I end up avoiding it I'm not missing much.
What I dont understand is the "GLOBAL" setting.....right now I have that set to "NORMAL".....but not sure what it affects.

fasteddy64

To the o p... I've actually been following this thread but never contributed to it, I didn't think I had to, plenty of experience people all saying the same thing for the most part.

I'm sure the deal is great for the guy giving you the 436 with 6 year old technology. I hope your new 436 works as good as your last one including the display. It sounds like you had a good 436.

If it means anything I couldn't read the display on the SDS 100 either. Way way too busy with a lot of crap I don't need to know, and the colors, forget it. I basically cleaned off the whole screen until I just had a few things I needed like what I was listening to in capital in the middle of the screen. Battery level, filter indicator, site and RSSI, all placed on the bottom of the screen. The name of the scan list on the very top under the volume and squelch indicator. I use white text on black background, but you could use black text with white background which looks just like a 436 but with the 436 you can't remove clutter from the screen.

There is so much on filters on RR. Some of it I have noticed is not accurate information and some of it is right on the money. If you don't use filters you are not going to get optimal results on systems or conventional channels. It's as simple as that. If filters don't help you you're not applying them correctly.

It takes time and new acquired knowledge to master the SDS.

Barring any mechanical problem it is far superior to the 436 once you get to master it.

Glad you got a deal on a 436 and the guy you're making the deal with is glad too. :)

Good luck... Bob.
Thanks for your input.
I am quite comfortable with the deal and am hoping toe individual who replied was serious.
I have traveled extensively with the 436 in the past and never had any complaints about features and performance so I look forward to having another. I believe that for those who need the advanced features of the 100 it is probably a Godsend to them, it just didnt seem worth the money to me so I am going to try and get some of it back in this deal.

Ed

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your input.
I am quite comfortable with the deal and am hoping toe individual who replied was serious.
I have traveled extensively with the 436 in the past and never had any complaints about features and performance so I look forward to having another. I believe that for those who need the advanced features of the 100 it is probably a Godsend to them, it just didnt seem worth the money to me so I am going to try and get some of it back in this deal.

Ed
Perfectly understandable Ed. If you needed to listen to a p2 simulcast tdma system in a portable or mobile application there would be no question you would know what your SDS provided you. It's good you're getting cash back also.

Provided there is no technical problem with your SDS it's a good trade for both involved.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I am running 1 P25 system with 4 sites....and from experimenting with filters, I have 2 of the sites set to "OFF" and have good results....no D-errors. And the third site is small and seems to run better with filter set to "WIDE-AUTO". Don't notice any slowdown but this site is small. And 4th site I am still experimenting with......it seems to have random distortion issues.....I tried each filter and left it on for a few hours.....really no difference on that site for some reason....I think it's my location. This site is smaller than the other one so if I end up avoiding it I'm not missing much.
What I dont understand is the "GLOBAL" setting.....right now I have that set to "NORMAL".....but not sure what it affects.
Hey Bob, how are you? I think you and I have talked about filters before.

There is a thread called SDS filter settings from not too long ago in the Uniden Tech support forum. Check out post #4, it is a tutorial that will give you a clear concise description of how to apply the filters. Follow it to the letter and it will make all the difference.

Sorry I can't send you a link at this time on this particular device but check it out.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I sat down with that tutorial and made myself a cheat sheet for the filters and how (and when) to turn them on and off, and my sweet spot prevails. I never need them. But, it's good to have in the RV for mobile applications.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Hey Bob, how are you? I think you and I have talked about filters before.

There is a thread called SDS filter settings from not too long ago in the Uniden Tech support forum. Check out post #4, it is a tutorial that will give you a clear concise description of how to apply the filters. Follow it to the letter and it will make all the difference.

Sorry I can't send you a link at this time on this particular device but check it out.
OK Thanks! I will go look and copy info down for future reference.

Ubbe

Each conventional department and each trunked site will have a filter setting and its default value are Global. That means that it is using whatever setting you have set in the Profiles Miscellanous Global Auto Filter. If dept and sites are set to something else than Global then those will use that individual setting regardless of what the profile setting says.

When testing out filters you probably have them set to Global and change the filter type in the Profile setting to find the best one. Then you go to department or site and change the filter from Global to whatever you have in the Profile. Then that department or site have a fixed filter setting that doesn't change and are independent of the Global filter in profile when you test another department or site, which could need totally different filter settings.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.