I Wanted to know if someone can take a screenshot or two for me on how this is done and give me a step by step how to do it. Thanks

JimBobTerp

Hi Lehigh Valley,PA or others
I’m looking in maybe buying a Uniden BCD436HP. I Wanted to know if someone can take a screenshot or two for me on how this is done and give me a step by step how to do it. I’m going to be using the Sentiel software to program this radio. Now what I need u is help me with. Look at the picture I posted. Now he is where I need ur help with a step by step on how to do it and make it look like what I want it to say.. Now say for Northampton County I want to do Police Department. How would u put in Sentiel software this so when I upload it to the radio it will show this when it stops on the channel if they have active going on. First I need you to do this for a Conventional frequency.

Top line….
Northampton County,PA
Next little line… Police Department
Line under that…. East Police Dispatch 1

Then how do you do the same for say the City of Bethlehem P25 system? Like I want to bank 0 police and talk groups 0

Thanks to whoever can help with this. Sorry for the long rant and stuff.

IMG_5557.jpeg

paulears

I have one of these things and it has the record of being the hardest radio to make it do simple things in over 40 years. It really has an appalling operating system that makes everything hard. if you use them every day people seem to love them, but grabbing one and just needing to enter say, 156.700 and expecting to hear activity instantly, like every other radio, is soooo frustrating. They do what they technically very well, but why make working them so hard people like me, and the OP need to find an expert!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
but grabbing one and just needing to enter say, 156.700 and expecting to hear activity instantly, like every other radio, is soooo frustrating
Not understanding your point here. Maybe there's simply little to no activity on 156.700?
Press Channel to hold on any Channel.
Enter the Frequency/ID and press Channel.

paulears

Simply that on most radios you can just type in a frequency - 156.7 was an examp;e. Does this radio have a direct entry facility? I thought not. as in type in 156.7 and then be able to go up or down. I've never found out how to do that if it is possible - all those nested menus

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Do yourself a favor and just skip the 436 If you want P25 phase 2. City of Bethlehem is phase 2 and North Hampton will be shortly.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
As far as learning how to use the 436 scanner this is the manual online on how to do things, Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
If you going to buy one of these scanners, then there is a learning curve to using them. It sounds like all you want to do is turn the scanner on and start listening and not learn anything about programming the 436 scanner or how to use sentinel software, you're making a big mistake with that attitude. There are many YouTube videos on how to do things with the 436 scanner and how to use sentinel software that will answer all your questions, also many people are willing to help you on RadioReference. Start my reading the 436-scanner manual in the link I provided and also go onto GOOGLE and type in (Uniden 436 scanner YouTube) you will be able to follow the videos so you can learn how to do things.
Good luck and enjoy the scanner.
Saint

Whiskey3JMC

Premium Subscriber
The 436HP works fine on simulcast cells if you're on the outer edges of intended system coverage and/or only within range of one tower as is the case using mine in Cape May Point NJ. Lesser antenna is better with simulcast which is why you need to be familiar with your location in relation to two or more towers. Sometimes the clusters are too close together making it difficult to mitigate simulcast distortion effectively without a Uniden SDSx00. But for the majority of the simulcast distortion naysayers, they're likely in range of only one tower on the cluster
1722097558479.png

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Do yourself a favor and just skip the 436 If you want P25 phase 2. City of Bethlehem is phase 2 and North Hampton will be shortly.
Agreed. If you're going to spend a bunch on a scanner, just get an SDS model. Otherwise, you will be disappointed with monitoring the P25 trunked systems in and around your area.

Whiskey3JMC

Premium Subscriber
What is so special about the SDS 100 and 200 for monitoring the P25 systems?
But what makes this so much better then bcd436 and other ones?
Aside from the aforementioned mitigation of simulcast distortion:
  • Fully customizable color display
  • Frequency displayed during trunked operation along with other useful info (Yes I realize the 536HP gives you this as well)
  • Optional waterfall upgrade (I don't have firsthand experience with it. Others here find it useful)
  • Global filters

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I’m not near my laptop to get into Sentinel but I keep a “blank template” Favorite List saved to remind myself what names to put where so the display lines up how I want it. It’s entered out of order building the FL so I keep it saved to remind myself of which names need to go where.

Of course most times I forget until I save it to the SDS/X36 and start scanning then have to go back and move it all around. I should just take a picture and save it to my phone to have two ways to forget to do it how I want it. 😂