Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiltonAsus

New to the ICOM thread, and hope this is a simple question, but is there a way to determine what version (US vs. Non or blocked vs. unblocked) the R5 would be. Unfortunately I don't have the radio in hand, so I would need to instruct someone else as to how to figure out what version it would be. I guess the simplest way would be to enter in a blocked freq. but I doubt the person who has it has any clue as how to program it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Look at the model number on the back label on the scanner. If it's an R5-06, it's blocked.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Here is a link to the back panel. I am not sure if you were referring to the serial number or something else.
http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/_7/6417/6416506.jpg

***Actually when you look at the panel it displays the mod warning, so I am thinking this is blocked.

Yes it's most likely blocked with that warning on it. The "-06" suffix I referred to might be on the original label on the original box, if you have it. It's not like you're going to miss much in that range anyway.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
The blocked coverage for mine, "supposedly blocked" (From CDMA I guess :roll: ) starts at 815 MHz and goes to 902 MHz. which sucks if you want to use it to monitor Control channels in trucked systems with Unitrunker or other software sense they are in the 850 range. However, it does cover 700 MHz though. My other radios that are older cover this range! Flipin dumb! Another reason why I don't like the IC-R3 is the secondary feature crap. PITA! Also, the video sensitivity for anything in the 900-2.4 range sucks. Have to get one of those GRC BNC connector amps. I have read it works great connected to a yagi on a roof though. Need to try that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.