• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICALL on EDACS networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbond21

I've been hearing my local police dept using ICALL a lot recently, think I understand what it is, totally in the dark about how it works. Don't know if there's a set talkgroup for this(can't find info on it) or if its assigned randomly somehow(but shared between the two radios) for privacy, or what.

I was wondering if someone can elucidate me on how this function works, whether or not my scanner is capable of receiving this(PRO95, a PRO96 on the way) is another matter. But I would like to know how it works as a matter of course anyways.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

otter9309

I-Call can be used a number of ways. In the fire/ems service an IC can be sent to a radio or series of radios to alert that unit or crew to a call. This is sent as a poll and not a private conversation.

Users can also enter a LID from a protable, mobile, or console and have a private conversation w/another user.

I belive these are assigned a SAID to communicate on.

stanphil

Otter is correct. The I call is an Individual Call, not a Group Call, therefore no one on any talk group hears the traffic. However, a console or supervisor radio with Eavesdropping enabled can listen to the conversation.

SCPD

QRT
Just a question .. What is Eavesdropping ? Is this a function of the programmer software ? and how do you specify that your radio is a 'supervisor radio' ?

EDACSTECH

I've been hearing my local police dept using ICALL a lot recently, think I understand what it is, totally in the dark about how it works. Don't know if there's a set talkgroup for this(can't find info on it) or if its assigned randomly somehow(but shared between the two radios) for privacy, or what.

I was wondering if someone can elucidate me on how this function works, whether or not my scanner is capable of receiving this(PRO95, a PRO96 on the way) is another matter. But I would like to know how it works as a matter of course anyways.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2.10 Individual Calls
In EDACS, each radio has a unique ID number. This makes it
possible to address any individual radio from the dispatch center or
from another radio unit that has authority to do so.
Individual calls allow a one-to-one conversation, which is not
overheard by anyone else on the system. Specific individual calls
may be preprogrammed into a radio.
In the standard configuration, EDACS allows over 16,000 individual
users to be defined in the system. However, systems with 40,000+
users have also been successfully implemented.
The mobile radio receiving an individual call will sound an audible
ringing tone to alert its user that it’s receiving an individual call. The
ID number of the calling radio will be displayed and saved. If the PTT
button is pressed within a predetermined time, the called radio
automatically contacts the originating radio. This logical hang-timer
provides smooth communications, without the inefficiency and other
problems associated with older, physical hang-timers.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
You could think of an I-Call as a special temporary talk group which includes 2 users. An I-call TG ID uses the LID (logical ID) of one of the radios. After the end of the conversation, the TG goes away.

L

LS1_TA

The only way to really monitor the I Call is in conventional mode. It is also difficult to follow if the call is set to "Transmission Trunking."

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
The only way to really monitor the I Call is in conventional mode. It is also difficult to follow if the call is set to "Transmission Trunking."

Are you suggesting that in order to hear any conversation the trunking system's freqs would have to be seperately programmed as conventional frequencies in order to hear them? So if this trunking system had say 15 channels I'd wanna try and scan through all them to hear th ICALL? I don't know...

Can you explain the "transmission trunking?"

n2mdk

Are you suggesting that in order to hear any conversation the trunking system's freqs would have to be seperately programmed as conventional frequencies in order to hear them? So if this trunking system had say 15 channels I'd wanna try and scan through all them to hear th ICALL? I don't know...

Can you explain the "transmission trunking?"

I believe he was referring to the OP question about the RS Pro-95/96. These radios don't have I-Call ability so in order to try and hear them the frequencies would have to be set up
conventionally hoping to catch the I-Call that way.

L

LS1_TA

An I- call is radio to radio. (LID to LID.) or (CALLER-CALLEE).If the calling option is set to "Transmission Trunking", a different channel can and usually is assigned with each PTT during the I-Call. If "Message Trunking" is optioned the call stays on the same channel for the duration of the I-Call. Regardless you would need to scan every channel on the site you are listening to. Because the call could be assigned to ANY channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.