ICOM IC-7300 w/AH-4 Tuner and Long Wire

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I wouldn’t call a lighting suppressor and coax noise choke complicated. Yes, all parts are working correctly.
Then we can assume that you've connected an ohmmeter across the "gazinda" and "gazoutta" of both the center conductor and shield of the lightning suppressors and filters to verify that you have continuity. Same goes for all of your coax cables.

That's what I mean when I say troubleshoot be eliminating complication. As mentioned above, a length of wire connected to just the center terminal of the ANT connector of the radio, thus eliminating all of the complications, should let you tune in something especially local AM broadcast stations.

TJPB

The AH-4 is grounded.....connected to 3, 8' copper rods sunk in the ground. That is why I am confused when you say I also need a counterpoise. From your screenshots of the AH-4 manual....it's either a ground connection OR a counterpoise wire.

TJPB

I removed the COAX noise and the lightning suppressors from the chain and connected the coax directly to the tuner. No change. I am able to receive AM stations clearly on the 7300 and can see the waterfall/signals with the REF dB gain all the way up. Reading everyone's suggestions, I almost think I need to disconnect the earth ground I have attached to the AH-4 and, instead, attach a long counterpoise wire I run some opposite direction from the antenna wire.

IMG_8993.JPG

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I removed the COAX noise and the lightning suppressors from the chain and connected the coax directly to the tuner. No change. I am able to receive AM stations clearly on the 7300 and can see the waterfall/signals with the REF dB gain all the way up. Reading everyone's suggestions, I almost think I need to disconnect the earth ground I have attached to the AH-4 and, instead, attach a long counterpoise wire I run some opposite direction from the antenna wire.

View attachment 127595
What happens when you do as you suggest and simply disconnect the earth ground from the AH-4? For testing purposes of course. What does the 7300 receive then? If vastly improved then there is something going on with your earth ground. You wrote that you used three 8' copper ground rods. How are they positioned and connected to each other (or are they)? Are they connected to the house electrical AC power system ground at the service entrance / meter? If not, you may be experiencing multiple ground points with differential voltages developing between the power supply for your radio (and house ground) and the "auxiliary" ground rods you've driven and connected.

Last edited:

TJPB

What happens when you do as you suggest and simply disconnect the earth ground from the AH-4? For testing purposes of course. What does the 7300 receive then? If vastly improved then there is something going on with your earth ground. You wrote that you used three 8' copper ground rods. How are they positioned and connected to each other (or are they)? Are they connected to the house electrical AC power system ground at the service entrance / meter? If not, you may be experiencing multiple ground points with differential voltages developing between the power supply for your radio (and house ground) and the "auxiliary" ground rods you've driven and connected.

I've read that when you install a separate grounding system for a shack etc., want it to remain separate from the house ground...so currently, mine is separate. The rods are bonded together but not connected to house ground. From what I'm seeing on this forum.....I should connect them.

I must have missed where someone suggested to remove the ground from the AH-4 for testing purposes. I just tried that and not much, if any change.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You wrote "I am able to receive AM stations clearly on the 7300 and can see the waterfall/signals with the REF dB gain all the way up." What setting do you have on your Attenuator? Per the manual -
1662996095975.png

prcguy

A mobile setup has the vehicle body as a counterpoise. Your setup does not. The AH-4 needs a large counterpoise to work against and you can't change the laws of physics to suit your personal setup.

Everything I've read about the AH-4 says counterpoises are unnecessary...hence why this is a popular mobile setup. As my install needs to remain stealthy...it will be difficult running more wires around the house.

TJPB

I want to thank everyone that responded with suggestions and comments. After a bunch of troubleshooting today, I added a 140' counterpoise wire. But I also found the main issue....and I apologize to those I doubted.....There was one bad COAX connection. I replaced it and the dang things works great now! So thanks again to everyone.