Icom R-9000 newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairchild

I recently found an Icom R-9000 in my family's storage unit. I was thinking about selling it, but i now have an interest in trying to use it.

I don't have an antenna, and i'm guessing that i need one in order to receive signal. I remember my grandfather having a few satellite dishes. What is the difference between using a dish and an antenna?

I hope this isn't a ridiculous question, but can a dish such as a "Direct TV" dish be used with the R-9000 in any way? I have a couple of those style dishes laying around.

I would like to use the receiver, but i pretty much have no money to invest in it.

Please let me know any useful info for a newbie.

thanks!

mancow

Database Admin
Wait...

You FOUND an R9000 in your storage unit?

Found an R9000?

still waiting for those words to sink in.....

That's like going to a rifle forum and saying you found a Carlos Hathcock edition M-1A laying around. Wow........

majoco

Stirrer
It's obviously no use to you, I'll send you my Uniden BCT8 if you send me your R9000.

Yeah, right! :roll:

You have a receiver there that originally cost about US$8000. I suggest you get the book out and learn how to drive it! It'll be the envy of everyone on this forum!

Dear Santa......

RadioDaze

If you do sell it, check out these prices so that you don't get ripped off:
Icom R9000 receiver, Icom IC-r9000

Like Majoco said, learn how to use it and give it a try. If you ever did get into the hobby, but no longer had that radio, you would always remember it as "the one that got away." Most people in the hobby never have the opportunity to own a radio like that.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend (at a minimum) that you buy and install a wide-band discone antenna outside and connect to the R9000 with LMR-400 coax for lowest loss. That's one SERIOUS all band, all mode receiver you've got there. It would be a shame to use it at less than its full potential.

Fairchild

I feel pretty lucky that this thing is now mine.

Part of the reason i want to use it is to test it out to make sure it works...for when i eventually try to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.