Icom: ICOM T90A Battery

K3MOA

I have an old ICOM T90A handheld transceiver. I am using the original OEM battery and charger. The battery will not charge at all and the unit will not turn on even after charging for a day. It will turn on, however, if I leave the charger attached. My guess is that the battery has totally failed, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone has other ideas.

K3MOA

Thanks. That seemed to be the most logical conclusion here. Before I buy a new battery, however, I want to be sure that the HT is still operating as it should. It has acted a bit strange now that I have powered it up again, but that could just be because I haven't used it for many years and I have forgotten all of the functions / keys needed to operate it properly. I need to get out the manual and do a thorough review of the operation. Thanks again for your reply on this.

G7RUX

Thanks. That seemed to be the most logical conclusion here. Before I buy a new battery, however, I want to be sure that the HT is still operating as it should. It has acted a bit strange now that I have powered it up again, but that could just be because I haven't used it for many years and I have forgotten all of the functions / keys needed to operate it properly. I need to get out the manual and do a thorough review of the operation. Thanks again for your reply on this.
I would suggest powering it from a suitable external supply and leaving it on for a good few hours, perhaps a couple of days, before carrying out some gentle on-air testing at low O/P powers.

IMPORTANT NOTE: this unit runs on a maximum of 11V input, NOT 12V!

K3MOA

A lot of my problems with the operation, along with my memory on how to operate it, were due to the fact that I was trying to power it with the wall charger. Apparently that item produces a voltage that is too high and causes the transmit function to be disabled. When I tried powering it with the car charger all seemed to be OK. I am still going to do some gentle testing before I pronounce it dead or alive, although the signs for alive are looking good. Thanks.