ideas in the rough.. for phase ii integration..

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off i am very well an electronics enthusiast here. So before i start this half baked idea, or proposal really. Let me say i own my own electronics website for scanners, radar detectors, lidar jammers, gps/rlc detectors, and the like. So just to keep the well that would not work, or you don't know anything about electronics teenager crap to a minimum here.

Now that i have that part out of the way. To brass taxier we go.

Scanners. Right they are beautiful machines that let us monitor the air waves. Well what happens when a new model comes out every year with new software really the external features are virtually identical for the last ten years in high end scanners for the most part. So let's say you're sick of having to buy a new digital every 3-4 years at a price tag of nearly six hundred dollars who wouldn't be right? So here is a theory. Make a usb update flashable firmware AND protocol based digital model. This way my six hundred dollar investment isn't worth nothing when you release your apco 25 phase II software. Just a thought i mean nav alert was flashable via usb and that's digital protocol? And so is the device firmware that uniden and radio shack have offered for years. This would be a huge selling point. Then maybe charge a lot smaller price for these updates or a more expensive but realistic option for free updates for life such as gps companies as Tom Tom, Garmin, and Magellan already do.

Don't even say this protocol update isn't possible it obviously is the question is now that i put it out there how long will it take to be developed for mass production :) ??

Hopefully soon!

Alpine-

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzychaser

Depending on the implementation of the processor, there may still be a "limited" life of the scanner.. If new digital modes were implemented that use a higher data rate or just need more processing power, the processor used at time of manufacture MAY not be enough..

I did have a similar idea several years ago, similar setup to a pc tho. Upgradable ram, processor etc new modes via software updates and expansion slots for things like 2/4 level FSK interfaces, extra filters etc..

James.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
This has been discussed in the scanner world for a long time now.
Think Apple and the iPhone. They make zillions of dollars on people that have to have the "latest and greatest". Even if they make the screen a tiny bit bigger and move the headphone jack to the bottom.
Scanner manufacturers are not dumb. They capitalize on the same principle, albeit on a smaller scale. If they offered a firmware update to add phase 2 (may or may not be possible depending on hardware), they would maybe get a hundred bucks for that feature, with the DVSI royalties added on top of that, which means they miss out on selling a new $600 model.
I lean heavily on Software Defined Radio. I can scan a P25 trunked system and other modes that scanners won't do for under $100 plus a computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

QuadSquadMom

Premium Subscriber
This has been discussed in the scanner world for a long time now.
Think Apple and the iPhone. They make zillions of dollars on people that have to have the "latest and greatest". Even if they make the screen a tiny bit bigger and move the headphone jack to the bottom.
Scanner manufacturers are not dumb. They capitalize on the same principle, albeit on a smaller scale. If they offered a firmware update to add phase 2 (may or may not be possible depending on hardware), they would maybe get a hundred bucks for that feature, with the DVSI royalties added on top of that, which means they miss out on selling a new $600 model.
I lean heavily on Software Defined Radio. I can scan a P25 trunked system and other modes that scanners won't do for under $100 plus a computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Mark,

Does your set up include P25 Phase II? If so, I'm very interested in knowing more about what is required! My husband is a computer network guy with lots of electronics DIY experience, and we both are interested in him building a SDR instead of a new $600 scanner purchase if possible. :)

Our town recently converted to P25 Phase II.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Well, unfortunately, P25 Phase II has yet to be implemented in a software solution for the hobbyist, AFAIK. GNURadio may have a setup that will work with Phase 2, but that is still a bit over my head.
For public safety listening, I use RTL Dongles controlled by SDR-Radio V2, Virtual Audio Cable (or VBCable)to pipe the audio from the dongle and then send it to Unitrunker, which will display activity on a Phase 2 system, but still no way to get properly decoded audio.
For digital audio decoding, I use DSD or DSD+ from the Virtual Audio cable pipe. DSD can do X2-TDMA, which was Motorola's proprietary version of Phase 2 before that standard was finalized. It is however a little bit rough to get good decode rates. Hopefully DSD+ will continue to be developed and Phase 2 will be a reality soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.