If You Can No Longer Receive VIPER, Please Click Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
more rebanding?

Hi - do you know if rebanding is happening again for Caldwell & Burke Counties ? Thanks
QUOTE=trumpetman;1979152]I'm seeing several of the same posts recently one after the other, and receiving several PMs & emails all about the same problem: "Where did VIPER go?".

VIPER is going through the rebanding process right now. The short of it is, due to Nextel interference in the adjacent band, all public safety systems in the 866-868 spectrum are being reallocated 15 MHz lower.

Service teams are moving very quickly over the western half of the state and hopefully in the coming weeks, all 100 sites will be completed.

If you can no longer receive a control channel for the VIPER site you are monitoring, subtract 15 MHz from the original frequency and that should be the new control channel frequency (and the rest of the frequencies in use at a site). Example: If the control channel was 868.6875 then it now becomes 853.6875. Simple as that. Same holds true for the alternate control channel and all voice channels. Occasionally there will be some interference and frequencies will have to be altered. If that is the case, search from 851 MHz up to 854 MHz and you should be able to find the new control channel. Once this is located, report it to the database via the SUBMIT button and we can update it for the rest of the users to see. A Trunk88 report would be a tremendous help from anyone that can run it. Make sure you add in the new custom plan there AND apply the custom plan as well. Just shoot it in an email to me. As usual, it's my username (at) radioreference (dot) com.

Now that you have found the new frequency for the control channel, you must also enter in a rebanded/custom band plan.

All you have to do is plug in 2 lines that are as follows:

Lo Freq | Hi Freq | Step | Offset
851.0250 | 854.0000 | 25.0 | 440
851.0125 | 868.9875 | 25.0 | 0

Nothing more, nothing less.

Make sure, especially with RadioShack/GRE scanners, you tell the scanner to use a custom bandplan once you set it. With Unidens, I believe it assumes to using a custom plan once it's entered.

If there are any questions, ask away, but please try these instructions first before panicking and plastering the forums with the same questions over and over.

For anyone that PM'd me or emailed me over the past few days, these instructions will help; I would normally respond to all of you, but I've been super busy lately and it would've taken forever to answer all of you. Let's keep it to the forums so everyone can learn from this new experience this time. If you've tried all of these steps and exhausted any testing/troubleshooting, THEN post here to see if we can determine what you're doing wrong.

TL;DR: Rebanding, patience, & custom bandplan.

Also to make it easier to help you out please state which model scanner you are using and which software package you are using to program it. [/QUOTE]

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply - will my scanner start working again, or will I have to make changes ?
QUOTE=setuphelper;2204059]Hi - do you know if rebanding is happening again for Caldwell & Burke Counties ? Thanks
QUOTE=trumpetman;1979152]I'm seeing several of the same posts recently one after the other, and receiving several PMs & emails all about the same problem: "Where did VIPER go?".

VIPER is going through the rebanding process right now. The short of it is, due to Nextel interference in the adjacent band, all public safety systems in the 866-868 spectrum are being reallocated 15 MHz lower.

Service teams are moving very quickly over the western half of the state and hopefully in the coming weeks, all 100 sites will be completed.

If you can no longer receive a control channel for the VIPER site you are monitoring, subtract 15 MHz from the original frequency and that should be the new control channel frequency (and the rest of the frequencies in use at a site). Example: If the control channel was 868.6875 then it now becomes 853.6875. Simple as that. Same holds true for the alternate control channel and all voice channels. Occasionally there will be some interference and frequencies will have to be altered. If that is the case, search from 851 MHz up to 854 MHz and you should be able to find the new control channel. Once this is located, report it to the database via the SUBMIT button and we can update it for the rest of the users to see. A Trunk88 report would be a tremendous help from anyone that can run it. Make sure you add in the new custom plan there AND apply the custom plan as well. Just shoot it in an email to me. As usual, it's my username (at) radioreference (dot) com.

Now that you have found the new frequency for the control channel, you must also enter in a rebanded/custom band plan.

Make sure, especially with RadioShack/GRE scanners, you tell the scanner to use a custom bandplan once you set it. With Unidens, I believe it assumes to using a custom plan once it's entered.

If there are any questions, ask away, but please try these instructions first before panicking and plastering the forums with the same questions over and over.

For anyone that PM'd me or emailed me over the past few days, these instructions will help; I would normally respond to all of you, but I've been super busy lately and it would've taken forever to answer all of you. Let's keep it to the forums so everyone can learn from this new experience this time. If you've tried all of these steps and exhausted any testing/troubleshooting, THEN post here to see if we can determine what you're doing wrong.

Also to make it easier to help you out please state which model scanner you are using and which software package you are using to program it. [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

SCPD

QRT
Burke County Rebanding Help.

I have the Radio Shack Pro-197 with the GRE/RS Software from Radio Shack. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what to do to get VIPER back working... If any one has the information I need and would please share it I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie Dean

robkermit

Hey guys. I don't know anything about the Radio Shack scanners. Please excuse my ignorance on that.

Here is the golden ticket to getting VIPER back.

Create a new system, program it as a P25 Standard. Use the same frequencies you did before. You will not have to set any custom band plans.

You will need to run in ID Search mode instead of ID Scan. The reason is because the talkgroups used in the 4.1 system are not the same as the new talkgroups on the new P25 system. Running in Search mode will allow you to help us map these new talkgroups.

I would suggest going back and reading the VIPER P25 9600 baud thread that is stickied. A lot of the Q's and A's of the new system has been asked and answered in that thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Thank you again for the help -
QUOTE=setuphelper;2204082]Thank you for the reply - will my scanner start working again, or will I have to make changes ?
QUOTE=setuphelper;2204059]Hi - do you know if rebanding is happening again for Caldwell & Burke Counties ? Thanks

Also to make it easier to help you out please state which model scanner you are using and which software package you are using to program it. [/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

kf4ixm

I have the bcd996xt, using freescan. I noticed yesterday that burke county viper had went silent. I have high peak and dobson knob sites in mine, those had already been rebanded and the table already set. I did try changing the mode of the existing site to p25 and scanning for a few, but didnt hear anything. I think i was still in scan mode and not searching. I will set up a new system as p25 with the high peak and dobson freqs and table and search for id's. Im still learning this 996xt, but if theres anything i can do to help just let me know, kinda walk me through what software i need to use and ill post all my findings.

Edit:
Seems that just changing the site type to p25 and search ids is the key, now hearing viper. Id 7512 sounds like morganton pd and 6511 is burke county sheriff.

Last edited:

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Kf4ixm, thank you for the info from you & robkermit - I Really appreciate any assistance -

SCPD

QRT
Control Channel Freq for Burke County.

It would seem the freq for the control channel of the VIPER repeater on High Peak Mtn is 853.862500MHz. They have also switched to P25.

Hope this helps someone.

Jamie Dean - K4RIT

KI4RPM

Premium Subscriber
Can't pickup anything on viper in Caldwell County. Stopped working sometime yesterday afternoon 6-17-14.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.