• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

If You Could Design Your Own Radio, What Would It Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was just thinking earlier today that it would be very nice if I could design my own radio and have a company mass produce it. Yeah, I know threads like these often get WAY off track and people want the "kitchen sink" built into the radio, but I basically would take the concept that Garmin already has with the Rino 655t, BUT use the two way radio of the Motorola DTR550. Think how handy that would be. You would have a device for communicating on simplex, PLUS be able to navigate with it and even "poll" the other user(s) position(s)!

Yeah, I realize that the likelihood of something like this every coming to market is slim to none, but it is fun to dream about the possibilities. In fact, it would actually answer a fairly common question heard on a lot of radio chatter. Think about it, how many times have you heard two radio users talking and one asks the other, "Where are you?" With GPS integrated with a radio, you could simply look on the display and it would show you where other users are. I also realize that one of the other inherent problems with GPS navigation is that it does NOT work particularly well indoors. Generally, it requires a clear view of the sky. On the other hand, there are some plans to improve indoor navigation. Even a device that could somehow use cellular mobile telephone tower locations for aiding indoor navigation would help a great deal. That is, if it would be possible to use that data without having to subscribe to a cell phone plan. I don't know currently if it is possible to get navigation data from cell phone towers without a subscription, but if it is (or were) possible, that would help quite a bit for indoor navigation.

Actually, with the prevalence of wifi in many places, it might be possible to even extend the range of simplex walkie talkies by simply using wifi access. The wifi could be used as a "repeater" of sorts. Has anybody here experimented with this? Are there currently any FRS/GMRS radios that come with wifi access out of the box? It might sound like quite a stretch , but really is it so unreasonable?

Maybe having Android built into a reasonably priced FRS/GMRS radio might be worthwhile. Much like smartphones, it might allow MP3, GPS, and other functionality. If it can be added without the price getting too high, I think it would be worthwhile.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I've listed my idea of a perfect MURS radio and a perfect GMRS radio (mobile and handheld both) in other threads.

rescuecomm

I want a Harris PRC-152 lookalike without the encryption and the $5,000 price tag. Also, I want 4,000 ma batteries for $39.95 each. They can lock out transmit all the other freqs but MURS and GMRS. On second thought, give me the receive though from 30 to 500 mhz and a backdoor key for the 50mhz, 144 mhz, 222 mhz and 440 mhz ham bands.

LOL
Bob

Last edited:

East_Algoma

A vhf - uhf hand held ( or base ) - with ( Dream Mode Enabled )

Apco 25 on any freq
Band : 30.000 - 5.0 Ghz
Side Band
A usb plug in for all digital modes and programming

Encryption : Voice Inversion and rolling Code ( Rolling to be set by the prog software )

Transmittable on freqs you are lic for.
Maybe just a BASE station type thing to hold all the cpu's

wifi to any radio in the house ( On Commercial FM Band at very low power )

That sort of thing....I use to love decoding on my Sangean 803S from yrs ago....into my 486 computer , I decoded heaps of things.

WB4CS

The MISSING ham bands

I'd like to see radios that include the "missing" ham bands on UHF/VHF. Could be portable, mobile, or even base. I want a radio that does 146, 222, 440, 900 and 1200 MHz all in one box. There's plenty of 2m/70cm radios, a small handful of radios that do 2/220/440, and one (that I know of) handheld that does 220/900. The main reason 220/900/1.2 is so underutilized is because there's not many affordable radios that are attractive to the masses for these bands. Use those bands or loose them!

Additionally, I'd like to see the return of the VHF/UHF base station radios. Something that can do 100 watts, CW/SSB on at least 2m/70cm. Just like the old Icom IC910. So many new hams don't realize the fun that can be had on 2 meter SSB with just their tech license.

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is in the GMRS/FRS forum and not ham radio forum. What would I like to see in this category?
1) The end of production of bubble pack hybrid radios.
2) Mass produced and easily available MURS radios.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
All band, all mode radio, without MURS/FRS/GMRS, Crappy Band, and boot leg Crappy Band. No cellphone or other apps.. With encryption and price under $500.00.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

In Australia, they have a UHF CB that is their version of our GMRS. Uniden had the UH015SX mobile radio that included a 40-channel 400-512MHz scanner. It'd be nice if Uniden would make a mobile GMRS radio with the UHF section of their 996XT.

KB7MIB

The UH015SX was a remote head radio to boot. And make a MURS version as well, with a VHF dual receiver section, (150-174MHz, or better, 108-174MHz). And portable companion radios to go with the mobiles.

Last edited:

bats101

digital CB radio fm with privacy.. 5-7 watts a complete new market for the trucking industry revamp CB RADIO AGAIN....

washburn830

A new license by rule CB thats VHF and based around the MURS channels. I'd love to add 15 more channels and make them all narrow band FM with a five watt output. Handhelds and mobiles available and external antennas okay. No repeaters, no PL's, no digital.

Just a simple radio that works for reasonable distances that can be used by anyone.

SquierStrat

since were dreaming, i'd like to see a MURS/FRS/GMRS radio. Get rid of GMRS licensing (since its a joke at this point anyways) Add 5 more MURS channels, with a 50 watt power limit on them. OR create a vhf gmrs-like service. I know HAM radio has exactly what im looking for, but expecting all my friends/family to study for the test, then drive 50 miles, and pay a fee, just so they can use my radios with me a few times a year, just isnt gonna happen.

SCPD

QRT
I would like to see all radios require you enter your license number or FCC assigned password to transmit,even on GMRS even though some people think it is a joke.If people followed the rules like they are supposed to no radio service would be a joke.I know on HF they have unlicensed users,I saw the FCC enforcement letters to them so one service is no better than the other,it is all in how you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.