Il state police and radio shack pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnyb82

I guess the advantage you have is that you learned to program in a digital trunking system manually. I admit that scanner is a real b to learn to program, all of the features, buttons, some act as a sort of shift key or control key like on a computer.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

shortbus91

I am computer smart this just got under my skin for a few days.. It wasn't as easy as I figured it would be.

I do have question tho. How come not all talk groups receive traffic.

skinnyb82

They just don't use them. The intercom talkgroup is one I've never heard them use. I've heard them operating on the Zone 2 (would be Zone 3 for you) critical incident talkgroups when they're running special details or dispatch B when they're running a detail or roadside checkpoint. Car 2 car used every now and then when they need to communicate between themselves without clogging up dispatch. ISPERN TG is used whenever someone calls 911 on a drunk, reckless driver, stolen car, etc.

shortbus91

That makes sense.

I have one small issue it seems to cut out at times not sure why. Its mainly on dispatch b on district 11 but others have done it as well. I took the advice to put it to roam. And have it at 70 for a high and 10 for low..

Any suggestions.

Also how do. Troopers talk to the different city's in il

skinnyb82

In my experience, the squelch knob has to be set around 10 o'clock for P25. Also, try playing with the threshold values. I've had good luck with 10 and 75 for some sites that aren't in my county but the one in my county is on the other side of the county, so it might be locking onto that signal because your upper threshold is too high. When you go into the TSYS configuration, make sure NFM (narrow band FM) is checked (probably already said that, sorry if I'm repeating myself), default trunking tables, you can mess with the threshold values, maybe turn on the attenuator, audio boost, etc. Now you're at the point where you just need to play with the settings because your settings may not work for me, mine may not work for you, other members settings may not work for either one of us. Could also be some RF in reference in your area. Good 700/800 mhz antenna also goes a long way but bottom line is the system needs to be fine-tuned. I'm usually messing with something on mine or my Pro-668 portable scanner.

ETA I don't have a solid answer for your question about interoperability. I have heard calls to ISP over local dispatch UHF, presumably simulcast because the dispatcher was responding to the trooper but I couldn't hear it on the ISP TG or on the local PD TG that gets little to no use. Either undiscovered talkgroup or trooper was using a VHF portable to communicate with dispatch on a completely different frequency that's simulcasted.

Last edited:

shortbus91

Quick question to everyone. What would be the best tower to use at my location. Jerseyville il.

And how do I keep it on state police it has been going to ameren and state police in Springfield I just want to keep it on district 18 state police.

skinnyb82

Quick question to everyone. What would be the best tower to use at my location. Jerseyville il.

And how do I keep it on state police it has been going to ameren and state police in Springfield I just want to keep it on district 18 state police.
Check the Starcom21 tower map. Some of the towers appear to be more powerful than others. It's sorta an illusion, just that the towers are line of sight so one could closer to you but the signal is worse than off the tower that's further away. I can pick up stuff off of the tower 20 miles from my house in another county but not off the tower that's the 15 miles from my house and inside my county. Because of the terrain.

You're picking up all of the traffic off the tower because you have a TGRP wildcard set up for the system. TGRP wildcard will pick up any talkgroup on the system (mine constantly picks up Ameren and I simply lock out the TG). Either delete the wildcard or lock out the undesired TGs as you go.

My recommend would be to pick up one of those FTDI cables for programming the scanner, download Win500/PSREdit/Arc500 and check your settings, then run Pro96com with your 197 plugged into the USB interface and it'll lock onto the closest tower you have programmed in.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like your only monitoring the "Wildcard", when you see a TG you want press "stor" and it will go into the so called bank your on, you can move the "Wildcard" to the "NS"=no scan bank , monitor it there , and when you see a good TG choose a bank and move it there...So when you scan it just scans what you wand t to hear or put it in your "FAV" favorites by passing Ameren....The RS197 is very simple to operate by hand...

shortbus91

My issue is I live in jerseyville il.
I could use the ones in Calhoun but they make me nervous since they are around blufs etc. I have the site number 307
But it is all static. I have the squelch turned up I then back it up till it stops then I hear a bit of the state police then it plays the static as the next radio transmission comes on. I also get springfiled and ameran electric that come on at times.

Not sure what happens lol.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I see on the map your sort of out of the way, Site 306, 356 or 355 is all that's left and you would need a "beam" mounted up high and good coax like LMR400 to possibly hear them.....

shortbus91

In using 306 now and I can pick up them better m I'm in a bad area. Madison county is not starcom21 state police they are there own set up right.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
There is no cheap way anymore with this new fangled stuff called digital and Starcom, don't feel bad my own city of "Joliet IL up north here is "encrypted" so I listen to other people around me....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.