Info on how Riscon works

Status
Not open for further replies.

hummin24

Feed Provider
What towns are on which site is broken down in the database. There are only a few talk groups that are statewide. Listen to one zone at a time. Suction cup antenna is complete garbage get rid of it.

hummin24

Feed Provider
Ill say it 1000 times if you want reliable listening to the RISON system buy a UNICATION G4 or G5. Dont even bother with the other crap scanners.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Ill say it 1000 times if you want reliable listening to the RISON system buy a UNICATION G4 or G5. Dont even bother with the other crap scanners.
I am quickly finding this out! Well I am planning this summer to get the SDS 200. I have some gear I will be selling so I will be able to cough up the cash. Theres a guy in Warwick who was telling me he gets very good results with just the little telescoping whip with this radio. So maybe there are rare sweet spots where it will work. But its like a needle in haystack finding that spot.

ecps92

I would suggest, based on this thread you spend sometime reading up on Trunking, Conventional, P25 and other aspects
most available from the main Wiki page here at RR

I am getting closer to getting new radio for monitoring RISCON. I dont understand if I am programming a CENTRAL MAIN FREQUENCY or the individual towns that use RISCON. I live in Cranston. Would I be able to hear as far down as Westerly? Or just the area of the state I am in? Do I need a dedicated antenna to a certain frequency? Are most of the RISCON frequencies that the towns are on, UHF?

hummin24

Feed Provider
Why dont you listen???? I tell you to get one thing and then you tell me you're gonna get another. This isn't a huge system with new talk groups being added daily. You dont need a scanner you need a Unication G4 or G5. Ive played with everything. Nothing else works.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Why dont you listen???? I tell you to get one thing and then you tell me you're gonna get another. This isn't a huge system with new talk groups being added daily. You dont need a scanner you need a Unication G4 or G5. Ive played with everything. Nothing else works.
OK time to start saving up!

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Nothing else works.
Not true at all. I have zero issues with decoding this system on my Uniden 536HP or SDS series scanners. None what-so-ever. Been to almost every corner with great results on both. Audio is clear, decoding is solid.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Not true at all. I have zero issues with decoding this system on my Uniden 536HP or SDS series scanners. None what-so-ever. Been to almost every corner with great results on both. Audio is clear, decoding is solid.
I managed to find an acceptable spot for antenna right in the window. I am getting reasonably well results.....but I do understand the limitations of radios not specifically designed for this.

Jackh837

I would suggest, based on this thread you spend sometime reading up on Trunking, Conventional, P25 and other aspects
most available from the main Wiki page here at RR

Thanks for the advice on Wiki page. I read several of the articles on subjects you mentioned. The more I read the more confused I get. I'll keep on reading and visiting these forums for info. Thanks again

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice on Wiki page. I read several of the articles on subjects you mentioned. The more I read the more confused I get. I'll keep on reading and visiting these forums for info. Thanks again
Whats more confusing is what technology is going to be like as far as scanning in another 10 years!

hummin24

Feed Provider
100% true. How does it work while in a vehicle. Nice try.

ecps92

Glad you were able to experiment with your radio placement. :)

As others in many other threads have said
Location - Location - Location - Location and that can be down to inches

I managed to find an acceptable spot for antenna right in the window. I am getting reasonably well results.....but I do understand the limitations of radios not specifically designed for this.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Glad you were able to experiment with your radio placement. :)

As others in many other threads have said
Location - Location - Location - Location and that can be down to inches
I am limited in space as far as moving antenna around. But I can get acceptable performance with antenna on a sheet metal ground plane attached to window sill. I have an 800 mhz mag mount I just picked up. I am probably going to mount it outside the window on metal ground plane. Right now I am using an old computer case cover till I can get out to hardware store to get something better. The north and south zones are full scale on meter and Providence is about 1/2 and fluctuates. But as radio scans, I can see it is receiving the control channels. If I had a tall enough ladder I could attach this to the gutter on roof and get it above all obstructions but my ladder is only 14 feet.

Attachments

• blah blah.png
    blah blah.png
    646.2 KB · Views: 8

hummin24

Feed Provider
Glad it worked out. How often do you not hear the other end of a conversation?

floridafuzz

Glad it worked out. How often do you not hear the other end of a conversation?
I'm in RI and have always used radio shack and GRE scanners. They often miss the whole conversation or parts of it. It is totally frustrating. I primarily monitor 2 different towns. I listen to the police and fire in both of these towns. I am looking at the G5 at the moment. Will the new beta software allow me to monitor one town that is on RISCON and the other town that is in the 480Mhz range not on RISCON at the same time? Would like your input if any additional items are needed beside the G5 unit. Which dealer did you obtain your unit from? Did you program it or did the dealer do it for you? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hummin24

Feed Provider
I do have the dual vhf/800 model. I never set it up as anything other than a 800. A lot of it has to do with paging (which the g5 is) a lot of departments will send a page over vhf which the G5 will receive and then switches to a dedicated programmed talkgroup on 800. To answer your question Im not sure it can be used like that. Dont get involved with the beta software. Unless you were an original application it will not be provided to you. NO YOU program it. Its not difficult esp on the RISCON system. Its kinda like a video game, it takes 30 seconds to load the new program so you can mess around with how you like it set up . In NO way does it affiliate with the motorola system so whatever you do will not cause any harm.

floridafuzz

I do have the dual vhf/800 model. I never set it up as anything other than a 800. A lot of it has to do with paging (which the g5 is) a lot of departments will send a page over vhf which the G5 will receive and then switches to a dedicated programmed talkgroup on 800. To answer your question Im not sure it can be used like that. Dont get involved with the beta software. Unless you were an original application it will not be provided to you. NO YOU program it. Its not difficult esp on the RISCON system. Its kinda like a video game, it takes 30 seconds to load the new program so you can mess around with how you like it set up . In NO way does it affiliate with the motorola system so whatever you do will not cause any harm.
I ended up getting a G5 based on your recommendation and reading the Unication forum. It took me a few tries but I have the RISCON system programmed properly and I am hearing transmissions. My next step is to build out my system to more talk groups that I want to listen to. It was confirmed that I cannot listen and monitor a P25 trunking and P25 conventional at the same time. I was able to sign up for the beta as it is open to everyone to sign up the last time I checked. The G5 is a really great radio. I am really enjoying it and continue to learn more every day on programming it and making it even better. Thanks again for your thoughts on the G5.

Status
Not open for further replies.