Information request, good idea or wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
I am perplexed that I am unable to pick up towers within 50-70 K of me like Fonthill & Guelph Woodlawn.

I live in Aldershot and use a KSMA1 with my Home Patrol to monitor fleetnet. I can get Cayuga, Brantford, and occasionally Mowat from my "shack", facing to the SW towards Hamilton.

When I bring my Lasen antenna, cut for Fleetnet, for use in my shack I still have issues receiving the towers. Occasionally weather conditions allow for the towers to come in clear enough to decode for T88 and the HP but even my PRO2045 that is tapped for T88 is deaf for these towers.

What would be nice is for members here to offer to explain the range of towers for Fleetnet. I have written a few articles for the wiki for towers that I monitor, it would be great if others here would add their expertise about towers in their area. Maybe give feedback why Woodlawn (designed for coverage it seems much more to the N,E,W and not south) or why Fonthill has such lousy coverage towards Hamilton (it has very good coverage to the east of us, Halton EMS is often heard on this tower and it is consistent in my commute along the QEW towards Mississauga).

I know full well that Fleetnet was not designed for scanners (My boss was a tech with Motorola when Fleetnet was in its beginning stages being built) and that my antennas arent really good enough. I know that the Escarpment really blocks everything and that Aldershot is in a valley but Fonthill? Its on a hill, I can lookout towards the entire east end of Hamilton and if I bring my scanner to a friends apartment facing the Bridge (looking SE) I get a good signal.

I imagine that the actual tower location of Fonthill is less hill than advertised because Cayuga's tower is usually 100% decode rate.

E

Status
Not open for further replies.