Inmarsat monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Scott... and the rest

Do you think I could get away with a couple feet of the white ultraflex rg-58 if I used a foot or so from the feed too the preamp and then maybe max 4 feet more to the radio from there?

I have some Andrew ultraflex hardline but I hate to waste a nice 50' run with ends just for a few feet and I don't have TNC's for it and that's what the preamp uses. I do have TNC crimps for 58.

jlh

mancow, i used about 15 or 20 ft of RG-6 with mine, worked fine. also used a couple of LSD amps from radio shack, in place of the modified preamp. the antenna i built was based on paul marsh's design, similar to the one in craig's link.

paul stopped by here one day recently, he is a genius when it comes to this stuff, maybe he'll drop back in.

PS i also sent you a pm with a link to a pic of the one i built

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Here are my projects so far. The helix seems to work but I think I need a better preamp. I still don't know if the metal center is doing it harm either.

The dish is under attack by the gremlin there every time I try to work on it. The wife got roped into sewing the reflective fabric. It's some cheezy Wal-Mart mylar woven stuff. I don't know if she will be able to make it smooth enough to work but she's giving it a try. She has two petals sewn so far and has cussed it every step of the way. :p

I put the yard stick in there for reference and showed a side shot to see if the experts here could tell me if it's accurate enough to keep pursuing the project or not.

It folds up neatly. I think I will get a good tripod for it and do my best to make it a true fold up and stow away system if it works.

Last edited:

jlh

mancow, you built all that? impressive. i'm going to look again for that helix, you would have a field day with it. i'll pm you if i ever find it.

K0ATC

The dish is looking good. That helix is identical to what i built, but I used a .5/.5 center rather then the L segment you are using. Did you make a matching network at the base prior to attaching it to the feed? That could be your problem with the reception. Great craftsmanship!!! Did you use a slinky? I used coiled copper wire, but i like your idea much better, maybe i'll build one with a slinky for 2.4 gig.

mancow

Database Admin
Yea, it's a slinky. They are something like 2.7 inches wide or so and hold their shape perfectly. It's alot cheaper than copper wire too.

I found that the slkinky Jr. is the perfect size for 2.4 Ghz. You might give that a try. I picked one up for 89 cents and I'm going to try making one for that range to pull in wireless cams.

I picked up a 950-2040 satellite TV preamp at RadioShack today. Maybe that will help a little. If not, I'm going to grab the old satellite TV offset dish from my parent's garage and give that a try.

jlh

mancow, i used the ratshack preamps on mine, they work fine

mancow

Database Admin
Something's up then. They had some RCA D903 13-18 dB 950-2050 Mhz amps on clearance for #$5 so I picked up two. They run on 14-18 vdc at 25-40 mA.

I also got one of the more expensive cylinder type with the wall wart and power injector block.

Nothing works. I hear that data stream again on 1534.775 and a couple of dead carriers but I don't know if the carriers are local interference. That's it. There is nothing else there. When I do get a carrier and that data stream it's always from that same spot but nothing else seems to be there. I have heard some stuff that sounds like PCS 1900 type mhz stuff up around 1560 but it's burried in the noise.

I guess it's the antenna.....?
I wouldn't mind trying another type but I wish I knew whether or not there's even anything still there worth messing with. I got an email recently from someone that said the A service is going away in 2007. Is it even used anymore?

mancow

Database Admin
scott4957 said:
The dish is looking good. That helix is identical to what i built, but I used a .5/.5 center rather then the L segment you are using. Did you make a matching network at the base prior to attaching it to the feed? That could be your problem with the reception. Great craftsmanship!!! Did you use a slinky? I used coiled copper wire, but i like your idea much better, maybe i'll build one with a slinky for 2.4 gig.

Thanks for the compliments.

What type of center did you use? Do you mean it was a square box tube?

mancow

Database Admin
I think I'm possibly stupid.

Look at the antenna winding. Am I correct that it's wound for Left Hand Polarization?

If so that would probably explain alot.

I just noticed this.

jlh

mancow, your polarization is opposite to mine, but mine was made to point at a dish, while yours is deigned to point directly at the bird, so maybe that explains the difference

jlh

you folks with new inmarsat setups may want to listen this morning for shuttle launch control talking to the emergency landing sites

burts

helix

does the core of a helix need to be metal or could it be plastic,if so could it be plastic tube of the correct dia to just wind the copper wire around and fix ?

thanks from burt

fez_uk

Would I be able to pick these satalites up here in the UK?

Also do you need to move the antenna to follow the sat?

Inmarsat UK

fez_uk said:
Would I be able to pick these satalites up here in the UK?

Also do you need to move the antenna to follow the sat?

Ello,

You can see a few Inmarsat birds from the UK. AORE at 54W, AORW at 15E, IOR at 64E and IOR-W at 25E. All have L and C band downlinks.

You dont need a tracking antenna, a 60-90cm dish, simple helical feed and low noise LNA is all that is required. A UK radio mag, 'monitoring-monthly' has LNA kits that are pretty cheap http://tinyurl.com/4kl3lb is the link to them.

The NASA TAL site links are no longer analogue, but there is stuff like Inmarsat-C which can be decoded.

regards,

pjm.

ernest1

inmarsat services

How can i monitor Inmarsat B,C,M,mimi-M services in RF frequency by spectrum analyzer??
Is anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.