Input please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max601

I truly hope this doesn’t get deleted because I have searched the threads for an answer to my questions so that I didn’t have to post this, and I can’t find anything.
We live in NY (Orange County) apparently they went encrypted. From my understanding only a few scanners will work and need to be sent out for upgrading. Right? So ...
I can’t find any of these scanners online!!! Any ideas?
Is it going to work? Will they soon do an upgrade and make it not available at all and then I wasted $ for a brick?? I grew up listening to my local police and need it to sleep! Lol I’m so lost! Please let me know . Thank you

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I truly hope this doesn’t get deleted because I have searched the threads for an answer to my questions so that I didn’t have to post this, and I can’t find anything.
We live in NY (Orange County) apparently they went encrypted. From my understanding only a few scanners will work and need to be sent out for upgrading. Right? So ...
I can’t find any of these scanners online!!! Any ideas?
Is it going to work? Will they soon do an upgrade and make it not available at all and then I wasted $ for a brick?? I grew up listening to my local police and need it to sleep! Lol I’m so lost! Please let me know . Thank you

There are no scanners, nor are there any modifications to any scanners that will monitor encrypted transmissions..... period.

Max601

Is encrypted DME? That’s the new thing in our area. Maybe I used the wrong saying

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Is encrypted DME? That’s the new thing in our area. Maybe I used the wrong saying

Do you mean DMR by any chance? Please post a link to the specific system in the RR database that you are asking about.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Orange County public safety agencies are starting to migrate to a P25 Phase II system, not "encryption" and not DMR. Nothing out there except an authorized radio issued by the agency can decode encrypted transmissions, but that's a moot point, as the overwhelming majority of talkgroups on the new P25 system are in the clear.

My advice is not to bother with anything other than a Uniden SDS100 (handheld) or SDS200 (base/mobile), otherwise you're going to have issues with receiving the system due to the signal overlap from all of the tower sites. Without getting too technical, the new system has many tower sites that are split between two groups (north and south), known as simulcasting, and the only scanners that were designed from the ground up to properly deal with that simulcasting are the Uniden SDS series. Any other scanner is a crapshoot as to whether it will work for you, period.

Max601

Hello. Been listening to local police since I was a kid. I need it to fall asleep actually. I’ve been lost. I haven’t heard anything on my tru kind channels. (Newburgh city/town/new Windsor. I’m illiterate when it comes to this stuff. It took me forever to program my thinking scanners before.. any way around this to start hearing again? Do I need to purchase another type of scanner? Or are these days gone forever?

NParkNJ

On the Road
Hello. Been listening to local police since I was a kid. I need it to fall asleep actually. I’ve been lost. I haven’t heard anything on my tru kind channels. (Newburgh city/town/new Windsor. I’m illiterate when it comes to this stuff. It took me forever to program my thinking scanners before.. any way around this to start hearing again? Do I need to purchase another type of scanner? Or are these days gone forever?

they are probably all active on the new Orange County Trunked Radio System. P25 Phase 2.
You’ll need a Phase 2 Scanner to hear them.
AFAIK, the only thing that was still analog(and may not even be anymore, from my listening) was Town of Tuxedo analog VHF.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
City of Newburgh PD is on the new system as I explained last month. The town has not switched over yet, they remain on EDACS for the time being. Same with New Windsor PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.