Input/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

boynblu

Hi All,

I am looking for some input or suggestions on purchasing a new scanner.

I am looking for a mobile scanner that will receive primarly Halton Police/Fire and OPP.

Any suggestions on where to pick one up and what models to look for? I'm not looking for something that is too fancy, just something that can do the above areas with room for expansion if needed.

Thanks in advance.

warrior420

The Uniden 396 is your best bet if you want something easy to use and perform great. 499.99 from the US or 579 at Durham i think. You wont be disapointed.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
warrior420 said:
The Uniden 396 is your best bet if you want something easy to use and perform great. 499.99 from the US or 579 at Durham i think. You wont be disapointed.

I agree. I use the 396 for the same purposes and area as you.

This scanner completes it for me. No need for any other for me.

That said, I have read great things on the new GRE scanners.
You hear great things about their superior audio, esp on digital system such as Fleetnet.
That said I have never actually heard audio on any GRE digital scanner( although I would like to).

boynblu

Thanks for the replys.

Now my next question is, I work in the Halton area, but live in Hamilton, would I have any problems receiving both areas from the Hamilton Mountain (near the edge of the escarpment)? or should I be looking for some sort of an additional antenna?

Thanks again!

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
boynblu said:
Thanks for the replys.

Now my next question is, I work in the Halton area, but live in Hamilton, would I have any problems receiving both areas from the Hamilton Mountain (near the edge of the escarpment)? or should I be looking for some sort of an additional antenna?

Thanks again!

Depends where you are in Halton.
From Burlington you wont have a problem, Oakville might be harder,
From up on the escarpment in Milton I doubt it.

You could probably make do with a stock antenna.

E

MetalCarnage

EJB said:
Depends where you are in Halton.
From Burlington you wont have a problem, Oakville might be harder,
From up on the escarpment in Milton I doubt it.

You could probably make do with a stock antenna.

E

I dont mean to slightly thread hijack, but do u find the stock antenna for the 396 actually works good for Fleetnet....mine personally performs like crap in that frequency range, i found it was good for 800 systems but thats about it....and i live in ajax, so the whitby tower isnt that far....in fact i can see it from the roof of my house, lol

warrior420

I found it works ok as long as its stationary and and in a good spot. If you want to roam around with it, it will not perform well. I really like the extenable Watson Tele-Gainer from Durham. At 45 bucks it really improves your listening.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
MetalCarnage said:
I dont mean to slightly thread hijack, but do u find the stock antenna for the 396 actually works good for Fleetnet....mine personally performs like crap in that frequency range, i found it was good for 800 systems but thats about it....and i live in ajax, so the whitby tower isnt that far....in fact i can see it from the roof of my house, lol

Metal: I concur about the stock antenna on the 396.
This guy (girl?) was asking about 800 systems & the stock antenna does ok for that from his distance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.