• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Install Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy404ns

Hey guys, I didn't know which forum to post this in so I went with this one... I'm going to be installing a Bearcat 350C in my 98 Jeep Cherokee. I got past the fact that the Cherokee seems to have been specifically designed to not accomodate a scanner, but I have a few questions about the wiring. I want to use the DC Hardwire kit and I think the manual said (I don't have the scanner yet) to put the positive clip into an open fuse and the negative clip into any grounded screw on the chassis. Does it make a difference what the power rating on the fuse is? I have a few open slots but they differ from 10 to 15 amps. I'd appreciate any insight you guys have into this. Thanks. Andy

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Connect the red wire, which should already have a fuse in it of about 1 to 1.5 amps, to the accessory contact of the fuse box.

andy404ns

Excuse my stupidity, but what is the accessory contact? Also, is this the fuse box on the inside of the car or the fuse/relay box under the hood?

Al42

andy404ns said:
what is the accessory contact?
Connect the scanner to the side of the fuse that has voltage when you have the fuse out, so the scanner's current won't be going through the fuse. (Make sure the lead from the scanner to the fusebox is sfused at the fusebox end.) You have to decide whether you want to use a fuse that always has voltage on it, or only has voltage on it when the ignition is on. (The accessory contact is the side connected to the accessory voltage - the voltage that's switched by the ignition key.) Since scanners draw so little current you could leave the scanner running for days without affecting the battery.

jparks29

John McClane
I just got done a lightbar install on a '99 cherokee, WTF! there's NO room whatsoever.. who buys these things???

/postwhore

andy404ns

Sorry guys but I'm still a bit confused. The instructions say to attach the red wire to the "accessory contact in your vehicles +13.8 VDC fuse box". Can someone please translate that for me? And if possible, can someone tell me where exactly I will be running the red wire to? It doesn't have a fuse type connection, just a wire... Thanks. Andy

dmg1969

andy404ns said:
Sorry guys but I'm still a bit confused. The instructions say to attach the red wire to the "accessory contact in your vehicles +13.8 VDC fuse box". Can someone please translate that for me? And if possible, can someone tell me where exactly I will be running the red wire to? It doesn't have a fuse type connection, just a wire... Thanks. Andy

Andy, if you're in doubt, call a local car stereo installation place and see how much they would charge to wire it up for you. Just tell them how you want it to operate (ie: on with accessory, always hot, on with ignition only). I did that with mine a few years ago because I'm not really knowledgable on auto electronics. I think they charged like $25 or something and it took the guy like 10 minutes.

Dave

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Andy, if you have your owners manual,look in it for your fuse block location.It will be inside.I have a 2000 JEEP Grand Cherokee and its on the drivers side under the dash. There is a cover over it,which is easy to remove.Once you locate,check to see what type of fuses are used. It will be "ATO" or "MINI" style fuses. You can take one out and go to a auto parts store and pick up a "FUSE TAP" which slips over a leg of the fuse. I know the CARQUEST AUTO PARTS part #s you will need depending on your sytle of fuse. For the "ATO" style you will need part # TA230 fuse tap,also part #TA141 wire ends which you crimp on to your RED power wire. If you have the "MINI" style fuse the part #s are TA230 and TA483L. I would take a fuse with you so you get the right stuff you need. The black wire needs to go to a good metal ground. I would look under the dash for a bolt near where you will be mounting your scanner and take it with you to the store to get the right size crimp end to fit over the bolt. If you do not have a crimp tool,take your DC power cord with you to the store and they should be able to do it for you. I do it here at my store quite often for customers. I hope this helps. If you have ?s call 641-484-4341 thats my store #.

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Andy, I forgot to mention which fuse to use. If your cig. lighter works with out the IGN. on, use that fuse,that way you will always have power to it. Another fuse to try would be the fuse for the power outlet if your JEEP is so equiped.

andy404ns

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I got it now. Everything seems to be working fine. I'll let you know if the scanner blows up or anything. Thanks again! Andy

Julian1

Wiring Jeep

I too have wired my scanner's red wire to the fuse for the Cig Lighter.

Two things I like about that.
One - Power is always there if I need it, even with vehicle turned off.
Two - If I were to mess up something, I'd rather botch up and only disable my Cig Lighter as opposed to "mission critical" things like headlights, air conditioning, etc.

You'll be good to go.

Then get the black ground to some good metal and you'll be good to go. I usually look for a bolt. I'll back it out a little, tuck the ground wire into it, tighten it back up and it's done.

Good luck and take care,
Julian

andy404ns

Update:
I wired into the fuse for the rear windshield washer since that washer is broken anyway. Ground wire went to a bolt holding the seat in. Everything worked very nicely. I bought the fuse taps but ended up not using them. They didn't fit into the fuse sockets so I just wrapped the wire around the end of the fuse. Oh well, only a $1.49 loss. Now I'm just waiting on an external speaker from uniden to boost the sound. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. Oh, and CVPI4Ever, I wrote right at the beginning that I didnt know which forum to post this in since I looked at all of them and this seemed like the best fit. If you have a suggestion, why don't you enlighten me?

nexus

just go to radio shack and get a cigarette lighter connection, attach it to the positive and negative leads of your power on the scanner and plug the thing into the cigarette lighter. BAM you're done.

Seeing how its so difficult for you to understand to simply take the red wire and run it to the fuse panel (usually on the bottom side of the dashboard) and to wrap it around the metal prong of a 15 or 20 amp fuse and then push that fuse back into the socket, and to take the black wire and wrap it around a bolt on the body of the car to create the ground.

OR you could just run both leads (red/black wire) through the firewall wire enterance into the engine compartment and find a way to attach both to the vehicle battery. See the picture below to identify where the wire enterance is on a jeep. Real simple, just run the wire through and use tiewraps or loom to secure it in the engine compartment, and get some connectors from an autoparts store to connect the wires to the battery. Also here is where your fuse panel is located: the fuse panel is located behind the kick panel on the pass side, just below the dash.(to the right of where your feet sit in the floor board) there is also another power distrubition panel under the hood next to the battery.

jlwiringinst2.jpg

Last edited:

wilbilt

nexus said:
Seeing how its so difficult for you to understand to simply take the red wire and run it to the fuse panel (usually on the bottom side of the dashboard) and to wrap it around the metal prong of a 15 or 20 amp fuse and then push that fuse back into the socket, and to take the black wire and wrap it around a bolt on the body of the car to create the ground.

Isn't that exactly what he just said he did?

andy404ns

Thanks wilbilt. I didn't want to get into a "dialogue" with nexus so I let it go... Even if I didn't already clearly say that I did that, his tone is pretty crappy. I didn't realize that everyone was born knowing how car circuitry works.

Status
Not open for further replies.