• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Installing A FireStik: Best Placement on F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Blenderite

Then the problem has nothing to do with the antenna. It is either a radio problem, or something in the vehicle is generating RFI on the power leads even when the ignition is off. Try putting a filter on the power leads like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-XLF-20BP-Common-Power-Filter/

If that doesn't fix the problem, you need to get your radio fixed.
I will check it out, thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The filter I linked uses multiple turns of wire around a ferrite core, along with capacitors for additional filtering. It will work better than just snapping ferrite beads on the power wires.

Blenderite

The filter I linked uses multiple turns of wire around a ferrite core, along with capacitors for additional filtering. It will work better than just snapping ferrite beads on the power wires.

That is what I figured. Thanks!

Blenderite

I just did a quick test where I removed the trucks power cable to the battery and then held the power cable from the radio to the positive on the battery, so the radio was the only thing connected to power. and unfortunately, I still got the static, no better (or worse) than before.

Is that a good test of whether it is interference from the truck? It must be, nothing else was getting power so how could it be interfering? So assuming that interference isn't the issue, what could be wrong with the radio itself? Can it be repaired? If so, who does that sort of thing? There are no CB shops around me.

Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It can't be the truck if nothing is powered. RF interference requires an energy source to generate the RF.

Either your radio is broken, or you have a bug or tracking device powered by a second, hidden battery in your truck somewhere. Does Ford have something similar to OnStar?

Take the radio out and power it up out in the boonies far away from your truck or any power lines, vehicles, or electrical machinery. If it still has the noise with the antenna disconnected, get a new radio. If not, you need to look through your truck for "extra" wiring or devices.

Blenderite

It can't be the truck if nothing is powered. RF interference requires an energy source to generate the RF.

Either your radio is broken, or you have a bug or tracking device powered by a second, hidden battery in your truck somewhere. Does Ford have something similar to OnStar?

Take the radio out and power it up out in the boonies far away from your truck or any power lines, vehicles, or electrical machinery. If it still has the noise with the antenna disconnected, get a new radio. If not, you need to look through your truck for "extra" wiring or devices.
It would probably be easier to get a different radio than to take this one out to the boonies. I might get one off Amazon and then return it if there is no difference.

So I am assuming that there is no way to repair the radios if there is a problem, or is it that they are too difficult to diagnose for untrained people?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So I am assuming that there is no way to repair the radios if there is a problem, or is it that they are too difficult to diagnose for untrained people?

The latter.

It's unlikely you have access to the test equipment or technical data you would need to fix it yourself. You may want to look into warranty repair if the radio is still covered.

I'd definitely try a different radio, then go from there. Can you borrow one from a friend temporarily?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
What's your radio? Make sure your RF gain is turned all the way down and the noise blanket is on. Open the squelch up and adjust the gain to where it just begins to raise the signal strengh bar. Then adjust the squelch to eliminate the noise. Check and see if the squelch is at a lower point now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blenderite

What's your radio? Make sure your RF gain is turned all the way down and the noise blanket is on. Open the squelch up and adjust the gain to where it just begins to raise the signal strengh bar. Then adjust the squelch to eliminate the noise. Check and see if the squelch is at a lower point now.

I have the Uniden Pro520XL. I will double check my settings on the RF and squelch, but I know I played around with them the other day and was able to eliminate the static, but I never heard anything. If I turned everything back down, I could hear people talking, but the static made it difficult to understand them. Perhaps I should have shared this tidbit sooner.

Another idea, which I am sure is really stupid, but I want to eliminate any possibilities. I have my antenna on a Firestik heavy duty steel spring. Are those directional? The stud came out of it and I didn't pay any attention to which end it came out of when I went to put it back on. It doesn't appear to have any direction to it, but I figured I would ask.

Blenderite

The latter.

It's unlikely you have access to the test equipment or technical data you would need to fix it yourself. You may want to look into warranty repair if the radio is still covered.

I'd definitely try a different radio, then go from there. Can you borrow one from a friend temporarily?

I sent Uniden an email last night describing the situation. We shall see what they say.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have my antenna on a Firestik heavy duty steel spring. Are those directional?

No. At least not electrically. If one end of the spring is fatter or heavier-duty looking than the other, that end should attach to the mount. But if there isn't any difference mechanically, then it doesn't matter which way the spring is mounted.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
So depending on how far away from you others are, you may not hear them clearly.

Blenderite

While I wait for my noise filter, which should be here by 8pm tomorrow, here is a sample of the static without it.

https://youtu.be/n0aHEwN7oGw

Does that sound normal or excessive? How much do you think the noise filter will help?

Blenderite

I got the noise filter and all installed. It appears to be a lot better than before. I might try moving my coax farther from the wire run, but it is not bad enough for me to rip up the carpet again! Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.