Interesting Aircraft on Mode-S/Flight Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that is where is was, why he went to Vancouver afterward is beyond me. I should check his Twitter account.

Nice catch. I just watched a documentary on Might Planes about that one a week ago.

Interestingly Husky08 (the CAF A310) was up again this morning, and this time was broadcasting position in addition to altitude. That's the first I've seen a mil jet with positional data. Looked like it was practicing holds at FL260 overhead HWY55 / Frenchman Lake just west of Cold Lake.

I've got another CAF A310 (reg 15001 with new paint scheme - see Photo Canada - Air Force Airbus A310-304 15001) in the air right now at FL280, plus a C130 (OILR61) at FL180, both positionless.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Nice catch. I just watched a documentary on Might Planes about that one a week ago.

Interestingly Husky08 (the CAF A310) was up again this morning, and this time was broadcasting position in addition to altitude. That's the first I've seen a mil jet with positional data. Looked like it was practicing holds at FL260 overhead HWY55 / Frenchman Lake just west of Cold Lake.

I've got another CAF A310 (reg 15001 with new paint scheme - see Photo Canada - Air Force Airbus A310-304 15001) in the air right now at FL280, plus a C130 (OILR61) at FL180, both positionless.

I've seen photos of his plane on the net but that special on Mighty Planes was awesome.

kma371

QRT

You have to be sure and check what type of report it is. Sometimes military planes can get MLAT'd and they will show a position. If the status code is something other than 9, its an MLAT.

99% of military aircraft don't have ADS-B. Here in the US aircraft the only ones that do are E-6B's for some reason.

kma371

QRT
You have to be sure and check what type of report it is. Sometimes military planes can get MLAT'd and they will show a position. If the status code is something other than 9, its an MLAT.

99% of military aircraft don't have ADS-B. Here in the US aircraft the only ones that do are E-6B's for some reason.

Correction I had my 9 upside down, I meant 6.

Here is a list of report codes
0/1/2/5 - ACARS related
4 - HFDL
6 - Mode S/ADS-B (most common)
9/10- MLAT
11 - DF18
12 - Mode A&C
13 - Beamfinder

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Correction I had my 9 upside down, I meant 6.

Here is a list of report codes
0/1/2/5 - ACARS related
4 - HFDL
6 - Mode S/ADS-B (most common)
9/10- MLAT
11 - DF18
12 - Mode A&C
13 - Beamfinder

Interesting...although I wasn't using PP to view the aircraft - it was appearing on ADSB Scope and Virtual Radar Server. Unfortunately there are not many PP users in the area, so MLAT doesn't work :-(

kma371

QRT
Interesting...although I wasn't using PP to view the aircraft - it was appearing on ADSB Scope and Virtual Radar Server. Unfortunately there are not many PP users in the area, so MLAT doesn't work :-(

Ah OK. Well my experience has been they don't normally provide positions so it may have come from the Virtual Radar server, but I'm not familiar with that program/service.

Plane plotter is a great program though. I have 3 receivers around the SF Bay Area I upload to servers.

SCPD

QRT
Jay your setup mobile? I'd love to see how you have set this all up. I have a RTK Tv dinger and have gotten as far as using it with HDSDR but have no idea how I would get it to feed as a computer audio Input device. The one I am using I had to essentially inject drivers and run a separate program to invoke...

Anyway figured I'd ask maybe you had a free hour sometime on your way into Calgary we could all meet at the steakhouse like we did that one time and you could show off your cool setup. I know you are a busy man!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My setup is not portable (not the PlanePlotter setup, anyway). In order to participate in multilateration, you pretty much have to have a precise fixed position.

I don't use HDSDR, but I do use SDR# - but only for audio work. For PP, I use a program called RTL1090 which does all the interfacing for me. It connects to and configures the SDR, receives the data, and passes it to PlanePlotter all on its own.

For things like Unitrunker, I use Virtual Audio Cable which creates, as the name implies, a virtual connection between the audio-out of SDR# and the audio-in of Unitrunker. That configuration is fairly well documented in a couple of places on the forums.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
There's a Netherlands Air Force KC10 up there somewhere today...Reg T-264.
No altitude or positional data.

Saw a USAF heavy aircraft yesterday too, on a REACH callsign.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Hex 4E7C04 viewed today. No position or altitude, but reporting ident as UFO! Someone's got a sense of humour ;-)

I'm also unsure of who issues 4e7 codes...

BM82557

Hex 4E7C04 viewed today. No position or altitude, but reporting ident as UFO! Someone's got a sense of humour ;-)

I'm also unsure of who issues 4e7 codes...

ABSBScope will have some unknowns ident as UFO. I've seen it many times. The manual has "Aircraft with the origin UFO are mostly nonsense-data. They may be a result of DF11-dataframes with uncorrectable CRC-errors."

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Yes - I did see it in ADSBScope. If I see it again I'll check RTL1090.

I see that Central Mountain Air's Dash 8 C-GRUR displays the ident "ROBSGAY" (I'm seeing it at FL220 right now) so I was figuring the UFO thing was someone messing around as well.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I imagine people everywhere will be seeing this one:

20OsUqq.png

I particularly like the sharecode and the speed. I'm a little surprised at the flag.. I would think it would be Finnish if anything.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
ADS: C2AFB3 REG: 130343 FLT: GOSENSGO AZM: 000.0 ELV: 0.0 RTE: *-* SQK: 0000

Tiger343 from Trenton doing SAR training in the Central Ontario area.

Guess they've got some Ottawa Sens fans onboard.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else picking up HBAL189 over SE Alberta at 2200 hours on May 8? Or is it a just an error on Flightradar24? At 63535 ft and 10 kts.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone here got Edmonton ACC (Western Ops Center) sector files for PlanePlotter?

I've created several .out files for the airports (CYEG, CYYC, CYOD, CYQU), but am finding it harder to create the Terminal Control Areas and sector divisions. It's kind of hard to draw circles with Jordan's Outline Maker!

I also haven't been able to find a map of the various Edmonton ACC sectors, or a good description of their boundaries.

I'd like to create an .out (or .gpx) for each of the following :

Edmonton TMA
Calgary TMA
Cold Lake CTA
Cold Lake CYR zones

Airspace boundaries for CZEG :
Alsask
Red Deer
Banff
Rocky Mountain

Of course - if they already exists, that beats creating them.
The only thing I've found so far is http://www.ivao.ca/atc/czeg/images/CZEG-airspace.gif but it isn't detailed enough to allow me to create appropriate files for PlanePlotter.

Any help appreciated!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.