Intermittent Static on Feed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew2000tx

First time feed provider here. I'm providing an Amateur Radio feed of a local repeater here in San Antonio that is very active. My setup for this feed is stuff I had lying around the house. I'm using an HP Mini Netbook running Win XP, and a Wouxan UV2D

I've used MFJ hand mike that has a head phone out jack to feed into the Multi Audio Jack... (1/8" stereo jack that can be used either for headphone or mic in on the HP Mini.)

When the repeater is not active/squelch is not open on radio I get intermittent static. I have opened up Audacity to monitor the line in. It fades in and out and you can hear this on the feed.

When I first set up the feed I thought it was because I was using a Stereo Feed Cable so I went to the Shack and got a fully Shielded Mono cable. That didn't solve the issue.

So I continued to trouble shoot. Checking all audio settings in Windows.. Turned off all output audio. Still there.

So thought about power supplies (i've got the Wouxan on while it's sits in the desk charger to keep it powered... so Since the Wouxan has a battery I took it off the charger. Static is still there. Huh?

On to the computer. It's a netbook so it has a battery. I unplugged it. Still had static with everything (radio and computer) unplugged from 110v.

Any thoughts or ideas? I notice that when the Wouxan has sound the static is less and then after the person is done transmitting it slowly creaps in. To me (and I don't know to much about these things) it seems the Windows XP is doing some auto leveling or auto gain and then when the static is there it backs down.

Give it a listen: AA5RO 443.875 MHz San Antonio Repeater

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.