Irresponsible Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
baybum said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/01/AR2008060102136.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Maybe it's just me...but I consider this very irresponsible on the part of the reporter and the paper.
It serves no purpose to "enlighten" the world about possible weaknesses in security.

I won't disagree but I wouldn't be suprised if someone "on the inside" put this info out there to try and get enough attention to get the problem addressed....happens all the time.

edmondcops

Sounds to me like extremely responsible reporting. The kind that should win an award. I guarantee you folks would be all over the media for not "doing their job" if a disaster happened or was worsened because of the problem, and it came out later that officials knew there was a problem with the system but no one said anything about it.

Besides, regardless of what might happen to Bush, we know that Chaney is somewhere in a "secure, remote location" where he has been for all of the last eight years. Maybe he's at his office at Halliburton working on getting some new government contracts lined up for his company after the regime change.

baybum

The thread digresses....

The level of detail in the article is irresponsible, in my opinion.
To suggest a newspaper article would actually accelerate a government agency into action is equally irresponsible.

Have a good day.

gesucks

if you trully think anyone in public safety communications in the DC area did not already know this, OR that any terrorist who was worth anything, did not already know this, then you are truelly out of touch.

what this did do, was awaken the public to the false sense of security from an out dated radio system. and if you dont think the media influences the gov or polictians to spend money then you either have no idea how things work or are not from inside in the beltway

ocguard

Sometimes when all other courses of action to make necessary changes fail, you have to make some shots below the belt. Having worked for various levels of government, I know this from experience. I won't suggest that published media effects the responses of political powers, I PROMISE you that it does!

As far as putting too much information out there, well, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The people who aim to attack and terrorize our Country don't need our help with ideas. Unfortunately, they are intelligent, resourceful, enterprising people. They will come up with their plans of terror regardless of what is disclosed in the media. The information in this article is actually ALOT less revealing than some of the information that can be found within the contents of RR.

And it is the American way to have a free and open society. If there is a serious problem at some level of government, whether it be a federal police radio system, a weakness in a building's security system, poor training, or WHATEVER, the best way to keep it quiet is to FIX IT. If the powers that be don't take problems seriously, they should expect that it will be exposed and become embarrassing.

Kudos to the author of this article for taking the safety of the public, the employees of the National Capitol, and the officers who rely on these radios seriously enough to write an informative, accurate portrayal of the problems that exist.

SLWilson

Sad !

It is so sad that those sworn to protect our Nation's Capitol have to deal with such issues.

However, it doesn't just happen "there"! We have many many places throughout our country where safety forces "can't talk" to anyone at all.

Even sadder is the fact that IF they do an update (replace) radio equipment in DC, they'll use 800MHz trunked radio. That won't even come close to penetrating into the buildings that they MUST talk into and out of....Without spending gobs and gobs of money for inside amplifiers, repeaters etc to link them to the "outside" of the building....

Government at work! Spending your and my money

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

AES-256

If the U. S. Capitol Police do any upgrades it will be on P25 VHF or P25 UHF, not 800.....only 12 800MHz frequencies left in Region 20. The Rebanding TA has put a hold on issuing any 800MHz frequencies until rebanding has finished and that won't be anytime soon.

Either way, they and many more Federal agencies need new systems. If someone on inside lets it be known that their communications system needs upgrades for the last 10 years and it falls on deaf ears, then so be it, let the news media take care of the rest.

A good example is the recent news on Metro Transit's UHF system, or the lack of a UHF system that has taken 10 years to build out. Motorola got a black eye and it got cooperates attention. The end result is that many contractors were put in the tunnels replacing hardline and BDA's to get the system working like it should.

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
When did they move the US Capitol to Maryland? Seems if this discussion is to take place anywhere it would be in the DC forum.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
This problem is no national secret, it has been in the open for years and frankly this is not the first article on this praticular topic. It is not like they gave away the exact dead spots.

Even sadder is the fact that IF they do an update (replace) radio equipment in DC, they'll use 800MHz trunked radio.

It is impossible for them to build a 800Mhz system. There are no federal 800MHz allocations. More likely you would be looking at a 380/400MHz system, or a VHF-High if it was built for IWN.

Of course if they were REALLY smart and forward thinking (please don't fall out of your chair laughing) the feds would throw a bunch of money and federal frequencies at OCTO and expand DCPDs system instead of building their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.