Is Beartooth vaporware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

Back last year, I saw an ad for these Beartooth thingies. They link to your cellphone through Bluetooth and supposedly let you communicate over miles where there is no cell service. They work on 900 MHz ISM frequencies. In a moment of weakness, I paid for a pair. They were supposed to begin shipping in December. Sometime in January, I got an email from them saying that production had been delayed due to a redesign, but that the units would be even better then originally intended. Shipments were to begin in March. March comes along and I get another email telling me that prototypes are being tested and production should begin soon. April, I get another email saying that production has begun. They are shipping 1K a week and those who bought early should get theirs first. It is now mid June and I still don't have mine. At this point, I would rather have my money back than the Beartooth. There aren't too many places where cellphones don't work, and besides, I don't think my dear wife would go to the trouble of digging the thing out and connecting to her phone anyway. So, has anyone here actually gotten one of these things, or should I chalk this up to an expensive learning experience?

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
You may still be in luck. Seems like their Facebook page has frequent updates and there's an update to the FCC website for it.

https://fccid.io/2AJY7

Interesting concept. I hope it comes to market and has a good selling point feature set.

I have a Runbo X3 that I was hoping I'd be able to add to my cellular plan. Unfortunately it's not compatible with the US market infrastructure. At least not on Verizon. I'm glad I didn't pay much for it. The Runbo is a neat handheld with limited capabilities as an FM UHF transceiver and Android platform.

Runbo X3 Android phone is waterproof and made to take a beating

WPXS472

I have seen things like that Runbo before. It seems to combine a standard, more or less, GSM phone with some kind of transceiver. Interesting concept. I have been curious about these things that look like an HT but operate on cellular data. Supposedly, they can be used world wide. They say you have to get a data only SIM from any cellular carrier, but I haven't seen any American carriers offering such a thing. And, the devices, themselves aren't cheap enough for me to want to take a chance on a pair. If they would offer them with a SIM that works and you could get enough data to last a year for $25 say, then I would definitely be interested. I can't seem to find an actual web presence for Beartooth. That doesn't help in the warm fuzzy department. The only thing I found was the place where they say they have raised about $1.3 million for a start up.

ecps92

The Real FCC Look up is at
https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
Grantee Code: 2AJY7

You may still be in luck. Seems like their Facebook page has frequent updates and there's an update to the FCC website for it.

https://fccid.io/2AJY7

Interesting concept. I hope it comes to market and has a good selling point feature set.

I have a Runbo X3 that I was hoping I'd be able to add to my cellular plan. Unfortunately it's not compatible with the US market infrastructure. At least not on Verizon. I'm glad I didn't pay much for it. The Runbo is a neat handheld with limited capabilities as an FM UHF transceiver and Android platform.

Runbo X3 Android phone is waterproof and made to take a beating

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
The Runbo transceiver is built into the device and is configurable with repeater offset and PL tone if necessary along with direct/simplex. It's really low power though and the audio is not great. Tunable from 400-470mhz.

Thanks for the URL correction, ecps92.

lmrtek

they use the 902-928mhz ham radio band and this band is aslso in use for wireless internet providers

Ham operators are licensed to operate up to 1000 watts on these frequencies and have priority

WPXS472

They do have priority over the part 15 unlicensed devices, but are secondary to licensed services. The frequency my 900 MHz ham repeater was on is licensed to a location service licensee. They haven't built anything yet, as far as I know. The 900 repeater died and I took it down. It saw very little use while it was on anyway.

WPXS472

Thought I would tack a final post on this topic. I did get my pair late last week. I haven't had time yet to actually try to use them. But, I did read a review, and it wasn't very favorable. It basically said that you can shout as far as these things work. The specs say they have 1 watt of RF out, but when I look at the test data on the FCC website, it looks like they have 400 mW. I downloaded the app and it seems kind of buggy, the same thing the online review said. So, my advice is to stay away from these. Very far away.

JASII

Memory Capacity

WPXS472

Yes, that is the same review I read. I am going to try to open mine up and install an antenna connector. I noticed that the sonnet seems to have one. An external antenna should help with range. Still, at just under 400 mw of power, I don't expect much practical range. I have done a fair amount of experimenting with 900 MHz over the years. Sometimes, the range attainable is amazing, but more often, it is very disappointing. It is very much line of sight, and even then, sometimes not. I noticed that the Sonnet device has a 433 MHz section. I don't know what that would be used for, but I am sure the power is pretty low there too. The Sonnet device seems to have a lower price than the Beartooth. I fear that I have already invested too much in questionable technology to spring for the Sonnet. I would be interested in hearing how they work when they do come out.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
they use the 902-928mhz ham radio band and this band is aslso in use for wireless internet providers
and its illegal in many country to use because it inter fear with GSM.
I noticed that the Sonnet device has a 433 MHz section. I don't know what that would be used for, but I am sure the power is pretty low there too.
The Point is on 433 the max outputpower for non Amateur Radio stuff is 100mw (!) and the major problem is the duty circle with 10%.
How about Zigbee Modules? The run on 433 and 868 legally.

Or PMR446 Radios the support Text Messages like the Hytera one.

Status
Not open for further replies.