Is it possible..

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Telescoping masts, I don't know much about them but I have a question. Can they be remote controlled to extend or retract?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sure.

Some can be purchased with winches or pneumatic systems that raise the mast. They have limit switches that will stop them when fully extended or fully retraced. Usually the activation is done on site, but no reason you couldn't do it remotely.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Their stuff is the de facto masts for TV microwave trucks. I''ve used dozens of them. But they ain't cheap....

prcguy

Here is a closeup of how the Will-Burt mounts in my truck. I had a custom clamp made of 1/8" thick stainless steel strap that gives me four cable attachment points near the top of the first mast section. I made some 1/4" stainless steel cables with turnbuckles and upgraded the ty-downs in the bed of the truck. Then I mounted a square 1/4" thick aluminum plate to the bottom of the mast and sunk captive nuts in the bed of the truck so the plate bolts down to keep the base of the mast from kicking out.

I wrestle the 235lb mast into my truck, bolt down the base, attach the cables, tighten the turnbuckles, attach a lock cable through the turnbuckles then hook up a small 12V air compressor and up she goes. I did drive around the parking lot with the mast extended and antenna on top just as you see in the picture in the last post. The Will-Burt mast is about as stiff as a telephone pole and doesn't bend at all. Its really sick to see in person.

clamp2.jpg

K9DWB

QRT
I think you'd want to watch for low bridges. :)

BTW back in my evil blacksheep days as a truck driver on a CB. I had some tall antenna clamped to the driver's mirror tilted a few degrees forward. I had checked SWR after mounting and had a decent tune. A week later, I was on the PA turnpike enroute to deliver some freight. Somehow I boinked the tip of the antenna on the I-beams of an underpass that was marked 14' 10".

prcguy

The Will-Burt was free, a friend saved three of them from the aluminum scrap guy and gave them to me. I did a metal shop a favor and got the top clamp cut out and bent for free then maybe $100 in rigging hardware and about $60 for an air pump. A new a 42ft Will-Burt mast, non locking type like this is around $16k. Used they can run from about $1,500 to $4,500 depending on condition.

Wow!! Just curious what a rig like that would run ya (cost)? New and second hand? That is awesome!!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If he was close enough for a resonable road trip I'd probably go see him and pick one up to avoid the expensive shipping.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I have a pop up mast I got years ago. Its manual. I think 30 or 40 feet. Hygain maybe??? Needs to be guyed. I never put the damn think up. SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.