Is STARS down in Tidewater area??

bep

Premium Subscriber
Last two days I have received nothing. Signal bars show full strength. Using two different scanners, one for Safety Patrol, and the other for state PD. Entered all the frequencies from Va. Beach site and still nothing.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I’m too far away, but I wonder if they’ve rolled out encryption in Division 5.

John

Premium Subscriber
If you are showing full signal strength then presumably you are receiving the control channel. Can you switch the scanner into talkgroup search mode where it will then follow any talkgroup? Depending on the scanner it may also have an 'analyze' mode where you can see the system ID, site ID, WACN, and talkgroup IDs from the control channel.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Was pick up VSP in Virginia Beach on G5 when down that way in the work truck on Friday morning fine.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. Unexpected out of town trip right now so I cannot answer the asked questions. Will be back in it when I return.

bep

Premium Subscriber
I am bring this thread back to Virginia, as other groups could not assist. I figured locals may be able to assist. I have a Freescan file of the scanner that was never changed since 2016, but lost Stars on two separate scanners. I would like to post the file, but it will not allow for some reason

Thank you

kc4jgc

I am bring this thread back to Virginia, as other groups could not assist. I figured locals may be able to assist. I have a Freescan file of the scanner that was never changed since 2016, but lost Stars on two separate scanners. I would like to post the file, but it will not allow for some reason

Thank you
Still issues?
If I recall correctly, you at the north end; you've always had trouble. I haven't had any issues that I know of. I'm in the Bayside area.

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
@bep I'm by Mt Trashmore and I've never had issues with STARS, using a SDS-200, 352P2, and a 536 in my truck. VB has quite a few dead spots, so I'm not surprised you're having issues. That would drive me nuts! Recently, I've had the same issue with Norfolk. Used to come in loud and clear at the pad, but now nothing. I have to be close to the city line, wondering if they toned down the power or something. Hope you can find a solution!

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
Still issues?
If I recall correctly, you at the north end; you've always had trouble. I haven't had any issues that I know of. I'm in the Bayside area.
I'm over near Mt Trashmore myself, and I've any issues either.

digitalman

Last two days I have received nothing. Signal bars show full strength. Using two different scanners, one for Safety Patrol, and the other for state PD. Entered all the frequencies from Va. Beach site and still nothing.
I concur- I cannot receive STARS or ORION in Hampton- it was working fine and then one day- no more- I have tried every solution offered here to no avail.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Will someone local be so kind as to send me their STARS file so I can load in to my scanner. I am using Winn500 and Freescan currently. I also need to know how files work in RR.

Thanks

bep

Premium Subscriber
Finally had time to download from RR and reinstall in my scanners, still does not work. Took my other portable scanner and programmed in all the Chesapeake channels as conventional. I was hoping to hear the data channel. At one location, with squelch set to low, I heard squelch noise on all but 152.7875 and 152.0225. These two were dead quite and had the strongest signal. At a second location I did the same thing however the two above frequencies were not quiet, but had stronger signal than the others.

Still at a loss