Is the end of Radio Shack the end of Whistler Scanneers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Whistler

Scanners used to be one of the hottest selling items at RS back in the good days ...
Then cell phones were invented and RS decided to get into that market.

Before you knew it, the knowledgeable sales people were replaced by kids that barely knew what a battery was but sure knew what a cell phone was. The stores were revamped and entire sections of the stores were setup for just cell phones.
That era was the beginning of the end for RS.
VERY WELL STATED!!!

If Whistler is only going to sell what GRE had already designed, their days are numbered. They need to add the ability to scan these newer systems to their models if they expect to be successful.

rtsims

Some Radioshack Stores Are remaining open

Radioshack will have a large number of stores remaining open after the dust settles and will still be carring scanners made by Whistler .

SCPD

QRT
Makes you wonder why gre ahead of time gave up sold out etc. Someone knew or feared worse fpr the rat shack called it quits get out while I can sell my assets lol

IowaGuy1603

I was just in my local mall RS. 25-50% off, but all that was there was batteries and cables. All the actual merchandise was packed into large plastic bags for shipment to?

Someone will be having a fire sale on RS merchandise.

One of the stores that is staying open.

According to my local store manager................

awattam

At one point, RS would not hire a person that actually had an electronics background. They would get turned down and they would instead hire a kid that did not really know anything other than how to sell cell phones.
They did not want sales people that knew how to tell someone how to test a transistor. Instead they just wanted young kids that could run cash registers and knew the basics about cell phones.

I was one of the many who got turned down for not knowing anything about selling cell phones. I studied electronics in college and Radio Shack / Tandy was my weekend playground for years.

SCPD

QRT
At one point said:
You know I had a Radio Shack salesman tell me this... They did not want salespeople "wasting time" selling a 59 cent transistor when they may miss the 400 dollar sale...back then it was stereos!

johncoleman

Radio shack Pro 652 Desktop

Hello ,
My local Radio Shack store sold me one pro 652 Scanner for 260.00 out the door last x mass. I took it home programed it and put it back in the box as I have five other scanners . It is a great scanner but I have one 396 T and four Radio Shack pro 197 scanners . The question I have for you people is which scanner do I sell now as don't need five scanners.. Thanks for your comments in advance

awattam

If it was me...

I would sell the 396T and keep the Radio Shack scanners. For me this would mean only one software package and one programming cable to use.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack is clearly Whistlers biggest customer. With 4000 stores that was potentially 16,000+ scanners on the shelves. Of course, I don't know if RS ever paid Whistler for what they sold them.

Unless Whistler can find another large outlet, like Walmart,

********************************************************************************

Walmart sells the full line of Whistler scanners online already. I think Whistler was well aware of RS's situation and were wise not to saturate the RS stores with Whistler badged products. It's kind of a bummer about RS because the guy(s) who run our local one are going to be out of a job and they are nice people.

When i first starting scanning, i always got my scanners from walmart, i never understood why they quit selling them in the stores.

Voyager

I would keep the 396T, as it has features your other scanners don't.

For that matter, I would keep all 5...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I would keep the 396T, as it has features your other scanners don't.

For that matter, I would keep all 5...

I agree.
The 396T (Not XT) has true Manual P25 settings available per site.
Only the 996T and the new x36HP models also offer that feature which can make a huge difference in P25 decoding.

And no, it is not the same thing as what is in the hidden menu's of the XT series or the beta firmware for the HP1 and maybe HP2.

Voyager

I was thinking more of the FTO feature, the Close Call feature which works differently than Signal Stalker, and the like, but you're of course correct as well.

rtsims

Guy's not all RadioShack stores are closing , only half . We will still carry scanners in store and in the warehouse for direct shipping . As a matter of fact the Pro668 is in some stores now and can be shipped . This scanner is the sane as Whistler's 1080 . As far as the 651&652 they are the same as the Pro 107 and 197 scanners .

fredva

Feed Provider
Guy's not all RadioShack stores are closing , only half . We will still carry scanners in store and in the warehouse for direct shipping . As a matter of fact the Pro668 is in some stores now and can be shipped . This scanner is the sane as Whistler's 1080 . As far as the 651&652 they are the same as the Pro 107 and 197 scanners .

So, you are sure that the stores which will remain open will still be Radio Shacks, even though the plan is reportedly to sell them to another owner or owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.