Is there any way this would work on a scanner...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Being that's made for cell phones it's not going to work. The first thing I would do is put up an outdoor antenna. Use something made for the 800mhz band and directional. They do make amps for scanners, ive just never used one. So hopefully someone else will chime in with a recommendation on that.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-drive-3g-flex-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit-470113/

Assuming I was waayy out in the middle of the desert where the noise floor is nice and low (or the NJ Pine Barrens), and trying to pick up 800mhz, is there any way to get this hooked up with a scanner. Or even the Unication's G4/G5?

Likely the only thing that will happen is you will overload the front end of your scanner. While public safety and cellular are close, those devices are designed to amplify cellular not public safety. Unless it is a 'direct connect' BDA, you could do damage to the scanner, a non direct connect BDA output much more power on the down link side of the BDA than a direct connect BDA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd probably disagree.
Depending on how it's used, it would work, but probably not the way you are thinking.

What those units are is a Bi-Directional amplifier (BDA). They'll take a signal in their passband and amplify it. For the incoming signal from the cell tower, it amplifies the signal and reradiates it inside the vehicle. For the outgoing signal from the cell phone, it picks up the signal from inside the car, amplifies it and reradiates it using the outside antenna.

An important part of the way these things work is that there has to be some separation between the inside unit and the outside antenna. If there isn't enough separation, the unit will go in "self oscillation" and shut down. Self oscillation is where the inside unit will pick up the signal radiated by the outside antenna, amplify it, send it to the outside antenna, and the whole process repeats. Sort of like getting a microphone too close to a PA speaker, you'd get a feedback loop.
Modern BDA's are required to have an automatic shutdown on them to prevent this from happening since a self oscillating BDA can wipe out an entire cell site.

Anyway, since the filtering on these things isn't very good, they'll often pass the public safety portions of the 800MHz band just fine. It can work by boosting the signal from outside the car and reradiating it on the inside. We used to have some high end BDA's installed by Nextel at work in some of our basements. They were designed for the NexTel service, but they worked well for my 800MHz trunked system. But, there's a big difference between one of these consumer units and a commercial grade indoor BDA system.

For these things to work, that has to be some sort of signal available for them to work with. They won't pull a signal that just isn't there.

So, if you have a usable signal outside the car (or home), then it's much easier/cheaper/wiser to just work with that and skip the BDA.
As cmjonesinc said, the best solution is to mount an outdoor antenna. If it's on your car, then do it right, a permanent mount 800MHz antenna, installed correctly, and connected directly to your scanner.
If it's at home, then put up a proper antenna and use high quality coaxial cable and connect to your scanner.

For the $179 cost of that unit, you can get a good antenna, good coax and do it right. You won't be limited to the 800/1900MHz band, using the right antenna you can boost performance for all the bands you listen to.

Also, I owned a Wilson mobile BDA unit many years ago. It worked very well for what it was designed for. However the quality of the unit really sucked. Cheap plastic, flimsy construction, etc. While it did what it was supposed to do, the external antenna on it's own was what made it work so well.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your input! That's pretty much what I figured. I was playing around with the idea. Without knowing the exact gain of the 850 PS band here I don't think there would be enough return on investment to warrant me buying this expensive piece of equipment. This was for a mobile set up. I already have a good setup. I frequently drive through the NJ Pine Barrens which is a jungle-like thick pine forest that stretches for miles. Distant reception reach a point and then the trees kill it. Go over a bridge or a large clearing and reception is out there. But it was worth a try.

DJ11DLN

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-drive-3g-flex-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit-470113/

Assuming I was waayy out in the middle of the desert where the noise floor is nice and low (or the NJ Pine Barrens), and trying to pick up 800mhz, is there any way to get this hooked up with a scanner. Or even the Unication's G4/G5?
Not sure how it would work in your area, but a friend of mine has one of those in his pickup, and he says it does help with cellular coverage in fringe areas. Just for giggles one day last fall, thinking much as you did, we drove to an area where the statewide TSYS has a pretty big hole in coverage, with my Pro-651 & RS800 along for the ride. It did not do a thing for the scanner. The CC signal came back driving out of there at exactly the same place where it went away going in. YMMV, but I don't think I'd waste my money. As others have mentioned, there are actual preamps available that are designed for what you want to do, also directional antennas if you are stationary.

lmrtek

Cellular Boosters don't work at the frequencies you are interested in

They are actually engineered to eliminate those frequencies so that they don't cause interference to two way radio traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.