Is this Basic, Enhanced or AES Encryption...DMR MOTOTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhsands

Feed Provider
I suppose know the right people. A friend of mine ordered a dozen 7550e's and they were loaded, AES and all.. I was shocked when I read em and saw "AES 256" was activated in all of them. Didn't even know that was a feature.

Those were "special production" models that were supposedly made for the U.S. Government and that [apparently] fell through. Alvaro sold hundreds.

7550-0.png7550-1.png

RRR

Premium Subscriber
But then there are conflicting statements on here, stating the repeater doesn't have to be set up for encryption? (Which I always had understoff the repeater did in fact need to be set up for Enc, to be able to properly pass Enc.)

jhsands

Feed Provider
I received the following last week. I'm guessing "AlgID=40" means enhanced privacy.

Freq=154.145000 DCC=0 RAS Enc Group call; TG=1 AlgID=40

Reactions: RRR

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
But then there are conflicting statements on here, stating the repeater doesn't have to be set up for encryption? (Which I always had understoff the repeater did in fact need to be set up for Enc, to be able to properly pass Enc.)

Setup as in you select the type(Basic or Enhanced or none) in a drop down menu. You don’t lad keys of any kind into the codeplug.

Even if you select ‘none’, the repeater WILL pass encrypted calls, it only means that you can have audio holes with weak signals.

Reactions: RRR

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Those were "special production" models that were supposedly made for the U.S. Government and that [apparently] fell through. Alvaro sold hundreds.

They weren't "special production" anything. Every XPR7550 (and 5550) out there right now is capable of AES256. It is in the firmware that sits in every radio. There's an entitlement ID that you need to activate via CPS in order to "unlock" AES (just like a flashcode on an APX radio unlocks features already in the firmware). The difference is, the required EID (HKVN4244A) is virtually impossible to order from Motorola. There are a few large customers in the US that Motorola has sold AES to and rumour has it, they're not as tight about it as they used to be.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
What difference does it really make though?

Has anyone been able to break into "Enhanced encryption" on Mototrbo?

I think not.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

I think not.

Considering it's only 40 bit, I would say it was probably compromised years ago.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

I think not.

I can say unequivocally, 100%, RC4 is NOT secure. It is LESS secure than DES. Both by key space, and cipher strength.
It is garbage that ONLY keeps scanners from listening.
The only commercially available cipher that is still considered secure is AES.

Status
Not open for further replies.