It's here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I sure appreciate all you've done, Steve. Maybe one day, me or someone can get this all done. It will be a great radio when that day arrives.
Did you get the drivers loaded for the pc cable?

How about getting the software installed? I believe you said you had downloaded the file from the PSREdit site, is that correct?

T

trunkerman63

Steve could you pm your phone # in case me and Ed get stuck? Thanks!

T

trunkerman63

I'll say! Eddy did a fantabulous job! There are a couple of things I need to ask about.

One, on EDACS, after someone transmits, I hear the beep-beep-beep like maybe the trunking isn't operating right, but so far, I haven't missed any replies. Is this normal? Maybe this stops fast if someone replies quickly.

Two, after the radio has been on a few minutes, the display gets black squares around where each number or letter should be. I turn it off then back on, it clears up, then does that again.

So far, I'm hearing Dyess stuff really good, DPS base, and I didn't know Charlie Rose was still dispatching for Abilene! Jackie Cumby retired several years ago. :) Getting the EMS stuff good, Taylor co. Saturdays are pretty quiet up in daytime. I get stops on Nolan Co. but no audio, white LED lights up. Don't know what that is. Overall, it is doing great as far as I can tell. I think the colored LEDS add excitement to it! May just leave 'em going!

Thanks

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'll say! Eddy did a fantabulous job! There are a couple of things I need to ask about.

One, on EDACS, after someone transmits, I hear the beep-beep-beep like maybe the trunking isn't operating right, but so far, I haven't missed any replies. Is this normal? Maybe this stops fast if someone replies quickly.
"Beeps" on EDACS systems are not real unusual. It's also possible that sometimes one of the talkgroups is being used in both analog and ProVoice (I had all the talkgroups entered). You might try turning up the squelch just a bit.

Two, after the radio has been on a few minutes, the display gets black squares around where each number or letter should be. I turn it off then back on, it clears up, then does that again.
Not sure about that. Since I don't have the base/mobile model (I have the handheld), I'm not sure if there is a display setting that needs to be tweaked. You may need to ask in the GRE forum and see if anyone has a different suggestion.

So far, I'm hearing Dyess stuff really good, DPS base, and I didn't know Charlie Rose was still dispatching for Abilene! Jackie Cumby retired several years ago. :) Getting the EMS stuff good, Taylor co. Saturdays are pretty quiet up in daytime. I get stops on Nolan Co. but no audio, white LED lights up. Don't know what that is. Overall, it is doing great as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Nolan County is listed in the database as using encryption 'sometimes'. What you may be seeing is the scanner stopping on them, because there is a signal, but it may not be getting audio because that particular channel is encrypted.

Check which "Nolan County" it is. The way the scan lists (and scanner) are set up, the bottom line of the display alternates between the name of the scan list (which roughly serves the purpose of the banks in the trusty old 433), and the text tag for the channel. So, you'll see (alternating) "Taylor County" and "Taylor SO 1", or "Nolan County" and "Nolan SO 1Anlg" for their analog dispatch use (or "Nolan County" and "Nolan SO 1Dgtl"for when they use digital). For the "Nolan SO 2", the database does not indicate a PL tone or code, but they are licensed for digital on that frequency as well as analog transmissions. So, I have that one entered with a "Search". The scanner will look for either analog or digital on that frequency, but since it is 'open', no tone or NAC code, it may get interference. If you bumped the squelch just a bit (to see if that helps the beeps on the EDACS system), that may keep it from stopping on this frequency when nothing is going on. If it is a different channel in the Nolan County group, then which one? And, by the "white light", are you meaning the backlight on the display? I have the backlight set to come on anytime anything is received.

JoeyC

A scanner properly programmed and receiving EDACS should not hear beep beep beep beep after a transmission. If you do, either your LCN is wrong, or your reception is not optimal. Do the beeps happen after every transmission or just some?

T

trunkerman63

The white light is the LED, the same one that turns blue when DPS is transmitting.

Interesting post JoeyC. That is kind of what I thought too. I don't know what to do about that at all if that is the case. I "think" it is after every transmission. I will listen for a longer period tonight to be sure.

Thanks for the info, Steve. I'm learning more all along here!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A scanner properly programmed and receiving EDACS should not hear beep beep beep beep after a transmission. If you do, either your LCN is wrong, or your reception is not optimal. Do the beeps happen after every transmission or just some?
I created the file for him, imported from the database via software. So, if the database is correct, the LCN's should be as well. I just re-checked. What's in the file matches the database.

T

trunkerman63

Sounds good, Steve. May just be a fluke. I seem to be hearing the replies when they key up. Haven't noticed any missed words on EDACS.

JoeyC

I created the file for him, imported from the database via software. So, if the database is correct, the LCN's should be as well. I just re-checked. What's in the file matches the database.

If the squelch is too tight or like I said, the reception is not optimal, you will get beeps where you should not normally. Not saying your file or the database is incorrect, only that you need good signal strength so that the scanner will break the threshold and receive on the next freq in the LCN.

T

trunkerman63

Always have had a very strong signal from EDACS on the 433, so I can't think it's weak. I'm right here in town probably within blocks of one of their towers.

JoeyC

Also, if you are hearing multiple beeps after each transmission and the signal quality is good, and you think you are not missing any replies, one has to wonder if the thing is actually trunking instead of just scanning the freqs. Can you put the scanner on hold on ONE EDACS talkgroup and follow the conversation?

JoeyC

Always have had a very strong signal from EDACS on the 433, so I can't think it's weak. I'm right here in town probably within blocks of one of their towers.

To be sure you have to know you have good signal strength on ALL the freqs in the system as they all may not come off the same tower. There is a system in Riverside CA that I can hear pretty good from a distance but there are one or two freqs in the LCN that just won't come in strong enough for me to have perfect reception on the system - thus beeping (and missed replies).

T

trunkerman63

Also, if you are hearing multiple beeps after each transmission and the signal quality is good, and you think you are not missing any replies, one has to wonder if the thing is actually trunking instead of just scanning the freqs. Can you put the scanner on hold on ONE EDACS talkgroup and follow the conversation?

Good point! That's kind of what I am afraid of! That is what it sounds like to me also. As I'm still not real familiar with the controls, not sure if I can put it on hold or not. I can try that. Just listened again. Whoever is talking, the responses are slow to come back, so I'm not missing anything that way. A faster conversation could reveal if there is a problem or not

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Also, if you are hearing multiple beeps after each transmission and the signal quality is good, and you think you are not missing any replies, one has to wonder if the thing is actually trunking instead of just scanning the freqs.
Not impossible, but it should be trunking as it is a brand new PSR-600, just received from HRO.

T

trunkerman63

Maybe it just trunks differently (better) than the 433! (?)

T

trunkerman63

Okay, here's what's going on.

It does appear something is "off" about the trunking, what I don't know. When the fire dept. unkeys, no beeps or delays. When CityLink Bus radios unkey, it beeps, both on EDACS. While ago, when the bus dispatch unkeyed, I heard the bus reply, but it was quick to reply. Had it been slow, I don't know if it I would have received it or not. It's strange one or more TG's on EDACS would unkey and I hear beeping, yet on fire dispatch, none. I think the fire dispatch sent them on a fire somewhere while ago, but I didn't hear the fire trucks as I would on the 433. Not to say they were talking. It will take some time, and another fire, to see for sure if the trucks are coming in on EDACS analog or not.

I always could hear Nolan Co. and Shackelford Co.'s digital "hash" on the 433. On this one, nothing. Zilch. I am not sure if I am hearing Callahan Co. or not, I "think" that is what I'm getting. It was always clear on the 433. The weather stations, Abilene was IT. Nothing heard tonight from Cisco or Nolan Co. It may be the skip is bad, unsure on that.

I did hear a DPS unit check out downtown at the SO and it was as loud as if it was right out front! A positive to report there. I wish I could hear Nolan Co's traffic which is digital, but I can not, why I don't know.

What's going on with the trunking, I don't know. There are some kinks that need ironed out and tweaks that need to be done, but I sure don't know what. If you can figure this all out, Steve, it will probably take Ed to come back to carry out the corrections and changes. So far, no replies on the GRE forum about the changing contrast problem of the display.

One more thing, I want to add Abilene Regional's paging channel, 152.0075 I believe it is. Can I do that on the radio itself? Not sure where to stop or put the scanning to do that.

Thanks-

Well, just checked again, and Cisco weather was loud and clear! An ambulance was loud too, not fading, but unsure of where they were, on 155.340. I guess when conditions permit, it really will pull 'em in! Union Pacific dispatch loud and clear also.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Which antenna are you using?

I don't know what your schedule is. I'm off the Thursday & Friday before New Years (12/29 & 12/30). I might do a "scanning road trip" out that direction one of those days. I think we just need to make a couple of tweaks, is all. I put everything on the Abilene system, including the buses, in the file. Didn't know if they'd interest you or not. If they don't, and they're the only ones "beeping", just lock them out. (See the 'manual' link below.)

You can add a frequency on the scanner itself. See this "Easier to Read" manual.
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.