It's here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trunkerman63

I'm on the Diamond, the HOT one, Steve. It got that smokey checking out downtown slick as synthetic oil! Also the ambulance was loud. I'm retired so I'm flexible on a schedule. I think it's going to be fine, with maybe the tweaks, but also may just be changing skip with that next winter blast coming about Tuesday. The buses are okay. If I can get the 152.0075 in there on the radio buttons, that would be great, but don't know how yet.

Thanks so much Steve.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
We'll figure on one of those two days, if you want. Christmas weekend is out, and I'd rather not be on the road on New Year's weekend itself- too many crazies, if you know what I mean.

But meanwhile, take a peek at that 'easier to read' link and see if you want to try to add the paging.

T

trunkerman63

Well, Steve, I hate to have to share all this but will. I just hope I haven't bought a radio that was on sale due to having "problems".

Here goes:

1. After it being on a while, lost all Dyess traffic. Nothing more heard the rest of the night.
2. DPS digital crazy. A car called the base clear as day. Base responded. After that, nothing heard. Couldn't hear the car.
3. Once when either a car or base came on, heard the craziest tones and garble for a second or two. Made no sense.
4. I was getting a birdy on Dyess air ground 3, so locked it out. After radio had been off a while, turned it back on, lock out forgotten and channel open again. Forgot the lockout I had set. Other setting being forgotten? Don't know.
5. Not receiving neighboring counties. I was getting Callahan Co. loud and clear most nights on the 433. Now, not even getting that. At nearly 10:30p.m. before turning it off, I "thought" I could hear a Callahan Co. car number calling in so weak, just barely readable.

6. Trunking definitely not working right. Does sound like it's just scanning the trunking channels. Fire dept. base is only one that didn't have the beeping after unkeying. Civic Center and others do.
7. Display frequencies crazy. When Rural Metro was talking, it read "Trent VFD"! And another one or two were wrong.

So, Steve there is either something bad wrong with the software or bad wrong with the radio, I don't know which.

Signals from Taylor Co., Union Pacific RR and others were consistently good. Signals on trunking were good, just not trunking right.

That is a big wad of "strange" to dump on you, and I'm sorry I had to do it, but there are some things way off on it. I nearly didn't get to sleep last night I was so upset and concerned about what is wrong with the radio.

I don't know which two days you are talking about. Refresh me on that.
Thanks so much. I hope this can all be resolved. There is no way I can return the radio to HRO. All the packaging has been torn, ripped and the styrofoam chips gone. I do have the box the radio came in and that's all.

Last edited:
T

trunkerman63

A guy answered on the GRE forum replied and said the contrast problem should not be there, referred me to a page on the PDF manual. That's another concern. It comes on bright and normal, but after 2-3 minutes, it darkens and there all the black squares come. I am so afraid this radio may be bad, but I hope and pray not. Well, looks like my computer is joining the parade of blood pressure-spiking problems. I can't even download the PDF file the guy gave me!

I guess this all should be happening. Today makes two years since my wife was called to her heavenly home with God. Not a good anniversary for me.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A guy answered on the GRE forum replied and said the contrast problem should not be there, referred me to a page on the PDF manual. That's another concern. It comes on bright and normal, but after 2-3 minutes, it darkens and there all the black squares come. I am so afraid this radio may be bad, but I hope and pray not. Well, looks like my computer is joining the parade of blood pressure-spiking problems. I can't even download the PDF file the guy gave me!

I guess this all should be happening. Today makes two years since my wife was called to her heavenly home with God. Not a good anniversary for me.
The manual (in pdf format) should also be on the same CD that you used to install the drivers for the pc cable. (That's the way it was for my PSR-500, which, as I've said, is the 'handheld' sibling to your PSR-600.)

Well, Steve, I hate to have to share all this but will. I just hope I haven't bought a radio that was on sale due to having "problems".

Here goes:

1. After it being on a while, lost all Dyess traffic. Nothing more heard the rest of the night.
2. DPS digital crazy. A car called the base clear as day. Base responded. After that, nothing heard. Couldn't hear the car.
3. Once when either a car or base came on, heard the craziest tones and garble for a second or two. Made no sense.
Not sure what's up there with Dyess.
However, with DPS, remember that they often use "duplex":
The base transmits on one frequency, the mobile replies on another. You'll hear the base, because it's a strong signal, from up on a transmitter tower. However, the car is a much weaker signal, from a whip antenna on a vehicle. So, unless he's reasonably close, say 6 to 10 miles from you (this could be more, or less, depending on whether he's up on a hill, or down behind one), you may not hear the mobile responding back to the base.
The exception to this is that sometimes DPS flips the base stations over into "repeater" mode (instead of 'duplex'), so when they are doing that, you do hear both sides of the conversation. The other exception for this is for the repeaters, such as "Throckmorton Dispatch" on 159.21. These are remote transmit locations, and you hear both sides of the locations on these.
I wonder if the 'crazy tones & garble' might not have been from his MDT (the in-vehicle computer terminal)
4. I was getting a birdy on Dyess air ground 3, so locked it out. After radio had been off a while, turned it back on, lock out forgotten and channel open again. Forgot the lockout I had set. Other setting being forgotten? Don't know.
Your scanner does what is called "temporary lockout" when you lock a channel out by pressing the key only one time. That lockout is released when you turn the scanner off, then back on the next time. That's the way it is designed (it's the same on my PSR-500 & my newer Uniden scanners). The reason is so that you can take a channel out for a short time (so that it won't stop there when you're monitoring something else, like a big fire, stormchasers, or a chase), but then you can restore those frequencies quickly by simply turning the scanner off, then back on.
For more on lockouts, use these instructions (copied from the 'Easier to Read Manual' link I posted for you earlier).
For temporary lockouts:
To Temporarily Lockout a programmed object:When the scanner stops on an object, press the L/OUT button.
Or, In Manual or Program Mode,
Press
left.jpg
or
right.jpg
to select the Scan List where the
object is located.
Press
down.jpg
or
up.jpg
to locate the object in the list
Press the L/OUT button.

The lowercase 'l' flashes in the display to show the object is temporarily locked out.
To make that lockout permanent (until you change your mind):
Permanent Lockout (FUNC then L/OUT button) locks out conventional objects and programmed talkgroup objects (not IDs found with Wildcard IDs), and programmed search objects (not frequencies within search objects) permanently until they are unlocked.
To Permanently Lockout a programmed object:When the scanner stops on an object, press FUNC then the L/OUT button.
Or, In Manual or Program Mode,
Press
left.jpg
or
right.jpg
to select the Scan List where the
object is located.
Press
down.jpg
or
up.jpg
to locate the object in the list
Press FUNC then the L/OUT button.

The uppercase 'L' appears in the display to show the object is permanently locked out.

5. Not receiving neighboring counties. I was getting Callahan Co. loud and clear most nights on the 433. Now, not even getting that. At nearly 10:30p.m. before turning it off, I "thought" I could hear a Callahan Co. car number calling in so weak, just barely readable.

6. Trunking definitely not working right. Does sound like it's just scanning the trunking channels. Fire dept. base is only one that didn't have the beeping after unkeying. Civic Center and others do.
I have a theory what is up, here, but without looking at it I'm just guessing long distance. (I think it may be signal overload.)
7. Display frequencies crazy. When Rural Metro was talking, it read "Trent VFD"! And another one or two were wrong.
Remember that a lot of the frequencies are re-used by more than one agency. 155.340 is one used in several different counties. 154.280 is used statewide. The text tag is going to show the name listed for the frequency when the scanner finds a transmission. Since many of these are in the database without a listed PL tone or DCS code,, it causes confusion. If the scanner is in the Taylor County list, when it finds a certain frequency, it's going to display that name, even though the actual transmission is in another county. The only way around that is to watch the display and update the tone or code information for each county as the scanner finds them. (This is easier to show you than explain.)
Rural Metro is an EMS contractor. They use whoever's frequency they are contracting for. They do not show any licenses in your area at all (at least under their own name).

So, Steve there is either something bad wrong with the software or bad wrong with the radio, I don't know which.

Signals from Taylor Co., Union Pacific RR and others were consistently good. Signals on trunking were good, just not trunking right.

That is a big wad of "strange" to dump on you, and I'm sorry I had to do it, but there are some things way off on it. I nearly didn't get to sleep last night I was so upset and concerned about what is wrong with the radio.

I don't know which two days you are talking about. Refresh me on that.
Thanks so much. I hope this can all be resolved. There is no way I can return the radio to HRO. All the packaging has been torn, ripped and the styrofoam chips gone. I do have the box the radio came in and that's all.
I am talking about Thursday of next week (I am off that day,12/29/2011, as well as the following day). I work all this week.

What I suspect is the issue, for most, if not all, of your concerns, is signal overload. I found that with my PSR-500, and solved it easily. If we find a happy medium with the antenna, maybe use the ATT function where needed, we may clear it all up. If that does not clear it up, then we'll figure out the next step.

T

trunkerman63

Thanks for taking time to fill me in on all that Steve. I was hoping a lot of the weird stuff was really normal. I had read about the lockout stuff, but just forgot about it. I'm not here too well today, being my wife passed away two years ago today. It ain't electronics, but it is human! Between the holidays and missing her, I'm not thinking on both hind legs very well, forgive me.

I bet you can take a look at it and tell right off what is going on. I'm very proud of it, just trying to figure all this out. I sure 'nuff appreciate your willingness to come to check it over. I'll be here either day, being retired. Thanks for staying with me on all this. When it's all figured out and tweaked, it will be a performer plus!

Just checking it. Dyess is back on. Maybe security and maintenance all shut down at night though that doesn't sound right to me if they did.
Contrast went dark when EDACS came on, may have just been a coincedence. I tried adjusting the < & > on the 5 way pad for contrast, nothing changed. Will keep reading and trying stuff. I saw the light come on and it stopped on Shackelford Co. I have the squelch set real light. May have been trying to break it and couldn't. With the sensitivity it has, Shackelford should knock it off the shelf.

Looks like setting the contrast involves messing with the GLOB settings. Afraid to go there, might mess something up. If I did get it set, it would probably just change again. :)

Last edited:
T

trunkerman63

Ah, Baird coming in! I think the skip must be up and down with that cold front coming. Weather is so crazy lately, it's probably wreaking havoc with receiving conditions.

T

trunkerman63

Which antenna are you using?

I don't know what your schedule is. I'm off the Thursday & Friday before New Years (12/29 & 12/30). I might do a "scanning road trip" out that direction one of those days. I think we just need to make a couple of tweaks, is all. I put everything on the Abilene system, including the buses, in the file. Didn't know if they'd interest you or not. If they don't, and they're the only ones "beeping", just lock them out. (See the 'manual' link below.)

You can add a frequency on the scanner itself. See this "Easier to Read" manual.
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Learning Chinese would be much easier. I assume object means new frequency. Anyway, the "easier" one lost me too. That 433 was child's play compared to this. Well the up side to all this is I kept the 433. If I can never hear other counties on digital, just DPS and Dyess in daytime only, I haven't gained a whole lot.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Learning Chinese would be much easier. I assume object means new frequency. Anyway, the "easier" one lost me too. That 433 was child's play compared to this. Well the up side to all this is I kept the 433. If I can never hear other counties on digital, just DPS and Dyess in daytime only, I haven't gained a whole lot.
I think we can improve on that, but like I said, it will be next week before I have a chance to get out there. What I think is happening may be too much signal. The GRE scanners are very sensitive, more so than the Uniden's like I have (mostly). However, if they get overloaded, with too strong a signal, you'll actually hear less. What we need to figure out is if that is what's happening. There's more than one way to solve that. But just about impossible to do from 200 miles away. Hang in there till next week, than we'll figure out if it's a problem we can deal with, or something actually wrong with that unit. (I'm thinking it's something we can deal with, but until I see it, I won't know for sure.)

T

trunkerman63

Sounds good Steve. Oh, I'm still proud of that thing as I can be, just get too easily frustrated when I can't figure something out. :) I'll sure hang in and man, I can't tell ya' how much I appreciate all you've done, and willingness to come look at the radio and most of all, for your patience with an ol' goat like me who is trying to figure out all this newfangled stuff. :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Actually, well before you even considered buying a scanner, I had thought of taking a run out that way with the scanners, just to see what I could hear. A lot of systems are changing, and I want to see what's new or different since the last time I was out that way. Now, I just have a better excuse to make the trip.

T

trunkerman63

Well sounds great! You can get two birds with one scanner! lol!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well sounds great! You can get two birds with one scanner! lol!
Actually, I'll probably carry three with me-
Two 396XT's and the Home Patrol (hopefully with the GPS I asked 'Santa Claus' (my sister) to get me for it).

T

trunkerman63

Sounds good.

Well, Steve, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid something is wrong with the radio. I heard 3 ambulance calls on Rural Metro & the fire dispatch, and I would hear them check back in after a hospital run to Rural Metro, but I never could get the ambulance or hospital. Usually I will hear one or the other every single time. It makes me think the radio is dropping frequencies, passing an active channel up or something. Also it isn't normal for Dyess to just shut down after a certain time in the afternoon. Used to be years ago, the security and maintenance stayed active at night, especially security. I get nothing now after the radio has been on a while at night. I don't understand why I can get the other channels but the EMS-hospital channel wouldn't be working unless, and there is a slim chance that they said something and either it was scanning Abilene trunking or another channel was talking and it was on that. But for sure I missed probably three call-ins to the hospitals, why I don't know. I tried the stock antenna on it plus the one that came with the 433. Signals only got weaker! The weather channel here in town would only register 3 bars!! Not good! Looks like that guy who said the analog VHF isn't good on these may have been right except I think the Taylor Co. sheriff channel and other ones are actually stronger than the 433. Go figure. (?) For that, the Diamond Antenna is a MUST. It will need that to "break even". If there are some things you can do to improve reception, great! But I am concerned about maybe some channels just being passed up when they aren't locked out, or dropped by not hearing the ambulance/hospital call-ins.

It isn't attenuation. I checked that out. I caught McMurry talking, also weaker on it than on the 433, some noise I don't have on the 433, I turned on Att while they were talking and it only made them much weaker, nearly lost them. So it is not overloading.

Adding all this up plus the fact the contrast goes crazy after 5 minutes of being turned on doesn't sound favorable for the radio to be in good working order. If the contrast is going to be too dark, looks like it should be from turn on.

As I say, I hope I am wrong, but I am not getting some stuff I should be, I "think". I may run all this by the GRE forum, get their thinking too.

Last edited:
T

trunkerman63

I haven't tried setting the contrast, but here is a reply from a guy on the GRE forum:
"Let us know how it turns out. If you can't set the contrast for an acceptable display I would say you have a defective unit." Again, I sure hope he and I are both wrong.

T

trunkerman63

Sorry for so many posts, Steve, but I want to keep you in the loopola of what's going on.

First, I win the Doh Award for New 600 Owners. Dyess AFB wasn't talking because it was... scroll down, are you sitting down? It was the WEEKEND!! Dohhh! :) They are jabbering up a storm on digital in there. Also getting their control tower and aircraft (AM mode)! Apparently their security even closes up shop on the weekend, which doesn't make sense to me. So, I don't think the radio was shutting stuff out.

All we lack now is getting the display contrast done and trying to get the county digitals to come in. Also the EDACS *beep-beeps* ironed out.
A possible thing that might be happening (just my thinking) it will receive DPS base and mobiles super great on digital. Some of the DPS mobiles talk like they are miles out but loud and clear! It will get Dyess AFB digital. I am wondering if a county repeater in a digital transmission might be getting filtered for some reason? Now and then a Taylor Co. unit will go digital, so if they do, I might can tell more about that. Just wish I could get Nolan Co., Jones, etc. The ones I am pretty sure are digital now. I bet you can figure it out!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for so many posts, Steve, but I want to keep you in the loopola of what's going on.

First, I win the Doh Award for New 600 Owners. Dyess AFB wasn't talking because it was... scroll down, are you sitting down? It was the WEEKEND!! Dohhh! :) They are jabbering up a storm on digital in there. Also getting their control tower and aircraft (AM mode)! Apparently their security even closes up shop on the weekend, which doesn't make sense to me. So, I don't think the radio was shutting stuff out.

All we lack now is getting the display contrast done and trying to get the county digitals to come in. Also the EDACS *beep-beeps* ironed out.
A possible thing that might be happening (just my thinking) it will receive DPS base and mobiles super great on digital. Some of the DPS mobiles talk like they are miles out but loud and clear! It will get Dyess AFB digital. I am wondering if a county repeater in a digital transmission might be getting filtered for some reason? Now and then a Taylor Co. unit will go digital, so if they do, I might can tell more about that. Just wish I could get Nolan Co., Jones, etc. The ones I am pretty sure are digital now. I bet you can figure it out!
I replied to your pm's. We'll work on these next week (Thursday looks to be best for me).

T

trunkerman63

Sounds good Steve. Been "gabbing" on pms with you so everyone won't think I'm ignoring you. :)

T

trunkerman63

Fair, Eddy. I'm down sick and not into that much now. The past few nights, Dyess AFB has been gone, nothing there, but DPS is still on. Steve was coming today but we had to reschedule on that me being sick. He is going to get the scanner tuned up and tweaked.

Thanks for checking in with me and again for coming to program it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.