Jackson County P-25

Premium Subscriber
The new Jackson County P25 System goes live starting tomorrow with portable's changing over. Mobiles getting done systematically through September. Everything should be changed over 100% by October 1st. Fully encrypted for the most part.

Goodbye Jackson County, GA radio traffic, it's been a nice long run.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
:( I have great memories of buying crystals for my first scanner at radio shack listening to Commerce/Jackson county 155.295 and 155.67 funny how I can still remember those so many years later. wish they'd go back to the analog

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: While the system has been working well, there are some issues with paging using Unication pagers and encryption, or so they suspect. It's interesting that this was to have been tested way before going live.
I suspect Jackson county may also need to build another Tower in the South Jackson area in the future as well..

lucas2121

Premium Subscriber
It's mainly when the pager are in fringe areas or getting weak signal.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
did they ever use the system unencrypted or was it encrypted from day one? just curious

Premium Subscriber
did they ever use the system unencrypted or was it encrypted from day one? just curious
It was tested and run encrypted day 1.... I think the easy solution would be to create an unencrypted talk group just for paging and then everyone goes en route etc on an assigned encrypted talk group but what do I know :)

DanRollman

Database Admin
It was tested and run encrypted day 1.... I think the easy solution would be to create an unencrypted talk group just for paging and then everyone goes en route etc on an assigned encrypted talk group but what do I know :)

When a system encrypts non-sensitive communications like the water department or school busses, their encryption philosophy becomes untethered from arguments about bad actors being able to misuse law enforcement or other communications, whether they be burglars, protesters, street racers, or otherwise. If the school bus and sanitation communications are encrypted, you know you're dealing with a jurisdiction that simply doesn't desire its citizenry to be aware of what it's government is doing in real time - at that point it's a philosophical thing about whether any local government radio communications ought to be heard by anyone who doesn't receive a W-2 from the government entity, and not about officer safety or anything of the sort. For better or worse.

So when it comes to encryption, once you know whether you are dealing with a jurisdiction that is concerned about protecting certain communications that arguably warrant protection vs. a jurisdiction that philosophically doesn't think citizens ought to know anything about what's happening in the county, then you know whether they'd be open to putting fire dispatches on an unencrypted talkgroup to solve a reception issue. If they don't want you to be able to know what school bus drivers are telling their dispatcher, you can be assured they place the secrecy of their even-non-sensitive government conduct ahead of any concern about whether individual fire or EMS calls might be missed or delayed.

Premium Subscriber
When a system encrypts non-sensitive communications like the water department or school busses, their encryption philosophy becomes untethered from arguments about bad actors being able to misuse law enforcement or other communications, whether they be burglars, protesters, street racers, or otherwise. If the school bus and sanitation communications are encrypted, you know you're dealing with a jurisdiction that simply doesn't desire its citizenry to be aware of what it's government is doing in real time - at that point it's a philosophical thing about whether any local government radio communications ought to be heard by anyone who doesn't receive a W-2 from the government entity, and not about officer safety or anything of the sort. For better or worse.

So when it comes to encryption, once you know whether you are dealing with a jurisdiction that is concerned about protecting certain communications that arguably warrant protection vs. a jurisdiction that philosophically doesn't think citizens ought to know anything about what's happening in the county, then you know whether they'd be open to putting fire dispatches on an unencrypted talkgroup to solve a reception issue. If they don't want you to be able to know what school bus drivers are telling their dispatcher, you can be assured they place the secrecy of their even-non-sensitive government conduct ahead of any concern about whether individual fire or EMS calls might be missed or delayed.
Well stated.

wsp44

Wasn't Tusa the consultant for Jackson county? They typically do a conceptual coverage design in the RFP process that illustrates where towers should be located, and Jackson probably paid them a pretty penny to do so.

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't Tusa the consultant for Jackson county? They typically do a conceptual coverage design in the RFP process that illustrates where towers should be located, and Jackson probably paid them a pretty penny to do so.
Yes, they were, they were also the ones who said the pager issues are most likely coming from encryption and that the system wasn't built to use those contrary to the RFP.

DanRollman

Database Admin
...and Jackson probably paid them a pretty penny to do so.

"...and Jackson probably paid them a pretty penny to do so write a report saying what the people who hired them wanted the Board of Commissions to hear."

There, I fixed it for you.

wsp44

"...and Jackson probably paid them a pretty penny to do so write a report saying what the people who hired them wanted the Board of Commissions to hear."

There, I fixed it for you.
You're spot on with that one. I'm sure Tusa will claim they designed a "state of the art" P25 system that solved every single communication issue Jackson ever had. A quick google search and you find this.... They probably paid these "experts" $200K+ to come up with this BS, and when an issue arises they quickly point the finger to who ever is implementing the solution.... that they designed.

Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 11.09.13 AM.png