Jackson-Evers EDACS help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
I have this system programmed as a EDACS standard system, checked the frequencies and the Ids for proper programming...all was good in that area. I drove around the airport today because I cannot listen to this system...meaning the scanner stops scanning and the TGID shows up like JAN PD1, but there is no audio. I stopped at a area close to the airport and kept scanning....every ID that would come up, there would be no audio. After doing a Closecall scan, I was picking up the control channels and every now and then a voice channel for that system and only then able to hear the transmissions. A few times there was a data burst on a channel AND voice at the same time. Any ideas if its maybe something I did wrong or maybe the system changed for the airport?

Thanks!
(using a PRO 197 scanner)

KE5TLF

Well let's see...
The LCN order is marked as unconfirmed so the first thing that needs to be done is to get all the freqs. in their proper LCN order.
To do that you need:
1 radio decoding the CC with Unitrunker
1 radio you can use to manually tune to each listed freq. to fill in the blanks in UT as each LCN becomes active.

It is also listed as Provoice and analog, though there are no digital TG's listed, so not sure if Provoice is actually in use or not. If so that would be one possible explanation for the digital noise.

On another note we need a UT run on the CMCF EDACS too if you get a chance. Need to find the site number and CC for that one mostly. There's only 3 freqs for that one and the LCN order is most likely in sequential order with the freqs. same as SMCI is.

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
AH ok..i was confused about about the LCN.......you answered a question I didnt ask! Thanks for that :D I will see if I can get more info for you guys this weekend...now that I understand how the LCN works and how to figure out the correct order, and luckily i have two scanners...the pro 106 and 197 (197 is in dash in my car). Sadly I live in clinton and cant really pick up Jackson-Evers or the CMCF networks..may go sit at the airport in the cellphone lot or find a nearby park or store parking lot and scan away!

KE5TLF

Yeah neither one of those sites has ever gotten much attention it seems. Glad to hear you're willing to give it a go though :D Dunno if you can pick it up or not but the Jackson Public Works EDACS may be a good system to hone your skills on from home if you're not really familiar with the process.

The CMCF site should be real easy and really won't even require a UT decode most likely. I'm 99% sure the LCN order will be in sequence with the freqs. Either one of your scanners will display what we really need to know on screen. Just tune the 3 freqs listed in the DB until you find the active CC and note the LCN and Site number displayed for it. You (or anyone for that matter) should be able to do that in about 2 minutes from the Troop C HQ parking lot. Probably wouldn't even have to get that close really.

Last edited:

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
That sounds like a great idea! Yes, I can get Jackson Public works crystal clear..im maybe 3 miles from the site....will have a go at that :)

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
From the CMCF site this morning in Whitfield; I am able to pick it up just enough to get info from this system here in N Jackson and this is what I have:

Control Channel 852.2500MHZ EDW (edacs system of course) C:01 (assuming correctly to my knowledge this is meaning Channel 1 in the LCN) and S:01 (site 1 im also guessing)

As for the Jackson-Evers system all I have so far is something like the previous listing but 856.56250 (listed later in the list...this was the only control channel ive heard thus far) is coming up as C:01

I HOPE this is helpful and I am doing this right....this is JUST based off the screen reading while driving to work....not while on my PC using UT (just doing a "tune" on it until data comes up, and storing it)

Bear with me, im still learning this :)

KE5TLF

Awesome and very helpful. Your assumption is also absolutely correct. Interesting though that the site number is 1, same as Leaksville. Seems maybe these are actually 3 standalone sites that are not actually networked as previously thought and indicated. I logged SMCI a few days ago and know it is correct now too.

Good start on JAN too. 1 down, 4 to go :) If you're able to just tune in each freq. every so often, and they rotate CC's on a regular basis, you may find another one or two just using this method.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
ProVoice Confirmed by MASTRTECH who was in on the reband/upgrade of the JAN system. No one ever seemed interested in monitoring it but me for the longest time.. From observation of the MDOC system its like an EDACS version of the Motorola Entergy system... Three Sites that are there own systems but the same system..... If anyone could log the SYSID from ALL 3???? Then we would get confirmation???? I do know that the Whitfield site carries DOC TG's for CMCF, Whitfield, Probation/Parole agents, and the WRC's. Confirmed that myself. Last official monitoring of both the DOC, and JAN systems was done by me before reband/upgrades. Of course once the MSWIN is fully finished, the MDOC system will be phased out or used as backup.

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
CONFIRMED by me personally as of this evening for CMCF:
Mississippi State Hospital Whitfield
Site # : 01
Control Channel: 852.25000
**LCN** 1) 852.25000-Control Channel 2) 852.76250 3) 853.65000

Few other Notes:

on the Central Ms Regional Network:
Animal control for Jackson is now on this system with TGID 42672, ALSO Clinton PD has a 2nd Tac channel which is TGID 16528. I have about 10 new IDs still yet to be determined as to what their usage is for this system. Will update when I know what they are.

Mitsufan

Feed Provider
Well, got home last night and did some work on the LCN for JAN....knowing that C01 was the control channel, I took the other 4 frequencies put them into a program I found and it had it output all possible frequency combos without repeating one (24 combos total) I made a list of the combos the only thing being the same was channel 1. Took those put them into ARC500 and made 24 different EDACS' putting each list of frequencies in each EDACS gave each one their own scan list and a wildcard TGID so all I have to do is simply scan each list, see which one comes up so I can hear the traffic and then id hopefully know the LCN. So far this morning ive been pleased....for the first time ive heard JAN traffic!! Im looking at scanlist 19 (dunno the LCN I have in that one) and picking up mostly JAN tower this morning and 02-082 which is not listed but hey..........I think we have a winner :) Will continue to scan today to make sure #19 is our LCN. This brings up a question about this though...if the LCN is not 100% correct, I would hear anything at all?

Last edited:

KE5TLF

Interesting way to go about it, but if it works then great. :)

The fewer freqs you have in the proper order the less coherent traffic you'll receive. Up to having none in the right slot and receiving nothing
The way it works is like this:
This system has four voice channels and for the purposes of this example say it only has one TG and 2 users. The CC is LCN 1
User A calls user B on LCN 2, user B's response will be on LCN 3, the next transmission will be on LCN 4, then LCN 5. Then the cycle starts all over again.

If two users are keying up quick enough they may also hold the same LCN for their transmissions, but never really payed that close of attention to it. I do know that if they aren't responding to each other almost instantly it will rotate to the next LCN though on each new key up.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Also on an EDACS system, even if you don't have all the LCN's in proper position, you will still get traffic,.. just not perfectly. I discovered this when I was completely deciphering the city of Jackson system, and helped do most of the work on the MSU/OC system. Once you have ALL the LCN's in proper position you get full traffic and rarely get the um blah of the EDACS beeps with it. Great work on the DOC thus confirming that all 3 sites are stand alone.. what SYSID does CMCF/Whitfield show? And what SYSID does the southern one show? If anyone can nab the Parchmann site we would have system down.. for whatever life is left in it lol.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Because I'd love to see if this is set up like the Entergy system with one sysid for all 3 systems, or if it is indeed three differing systems completely. There has to be one of the trunker softwares that displays sysid for EDACS... When I was running UT, and T-88, I never had a chance to run them on an EDACS and see the type of data displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.