Just a question about future scanning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp883

It seems this thread got just a little bit hi-jacked off-topic.

I don't believe that the scanning hobby will ever end. Regardless of whatever new technology comes along, in most cases, there will most likely always be the matching technology to allow us to monitor it.

I also believe that there are some services that will never go digital or encrypted. One has already been mentioned earlier in this thread-aviation. Because commercial aviation is international the radio systems have to be identical worldwide. To switch commercial aviation to any thing other than the AM mode they already operate in would be unthinkable. Another great service to monitor are the railroads. Since all major US railroads interchange not only with each other, but with Canadian and Mexican railroads, the FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) has mandated that all locomotive, and train crew handheld radios be capable of operating on the 160 MHz band allocated to the railroads. The only change coming to railroad radio is the narrow-banding, essentially doubling the amount of available frequencies to the railroads, which has to be done by 2013. Just like in aviation, the cost to the railroads to change to a totally new radio system would be extremely cost-prohibitive.

As for public safety agencies (PD/FD/EMS) many will embrace the new technology but I believe many will not, and for various reasons. As this thread was started to ask about the future of scanning I will not reopen the box of worms that has already been opened earlier in this thread. Just as when trunking and APCO-25 came along, and were reported to be the end of scanning, we found out 2 things:

1) Not every radio user went trunk or APCO-25
2) The scanner manufacturers came out with affordable scanners that could monitor the new technology.

There will always be something interesting to listen to on our scanners. Suffice to say that scanning will always be a hobby, definitely in our lifetime, and I'm sure for a while yet beyond that.

Last edited:

DPD1

There's always going to be voice comms, even if a good portion of routine stuff is sent through data. And it's going to take so long for them to make all this happen, I'm not too worried about it. Plus, there's a good chance the data itself will be discernible, so that just opens up a whole new area.

jmp883

ND5Y wrote:

You guys that think aviation will never go digital might be wrong.

Pretty interesting link, thanks. After spending the last 2-3 hours reading through their plans I wonder if they're meaning data transmissions when they speak of digital. There was quite a bit of reference to tightening up current ATC procedures with better, more up-to-date position data that would be shared between aircraft FMS computers and ground stations. That sounds like a perfect job for digital.

I'm going to have to read this more.....there's a lot of interesting things here, and I am an aviation buff (along with trains, fire apparatus, and motorcycles). From what I've read so far it sounds like the next few years in aviation could be very interesting.

Thanks!

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Guess i am lucky

Here in east ky where i live,nothing that i am aware of is encrypted (Besides voice inversion)That can be taken care of with a 39.00 kit from ramsey.Our state police is p25 but in the clear and i have 2 family members that are troopers and they both have told me that as far as they know there are no plans for the ksp to use any type of encryption unless it's very critical in under cover ops.And most criminals are to stupid to even realize what it takes to even understand what type of listning device it takes to monitor them..Most hear the word digital and probably assume that hearing them is impossible anyway.Most counties here have already upgraded there radio systems and there not even trunked.Just got new frequency's with that weird 6.25 offset and still analog..And i do not agree with encrypting just normal traffic etc..That would bug the S%!^ out of me and i feel for those that really enjoy the hobby and have lost out on this encryption crap..

N

N_Jay

ND5Y wrote:

Pretty interesting link, thanks. After spending the last 2-3 hours reading through their plans I wonder if they're meaning data transmissions when they speak of digital. . . .

The Nexcom program does cover both voice and data in digital form, but it has been on-again-off-again for a while (especially the voice component).

Status
Not open for further replies.