Just bought a TRX-1 and Unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6RHS

Just bought a TRX-1 and it is a great scanner but .. a tiny bit unhappy as it could be better.

It really needs a TUNE mode from the Main Menu. It has the keyboard .. so why not Whistler ?

I see it as follows ... :wink:

Tune Mode menu item from main menu and enter .. 162.4000 for example and press SEL button to tune the scanner to that frequency. I do not want to program it to a scan list, just tune it.

This is just like the old PSR 500.

VA6DAH

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of purchasing a TRX-1, but as a amateur radio operator, I sometimes need to field program the scanner and that is a great idea. This is a must have feature that makes or breaks the TRX-1 for me.

JeffAdams

Really?

Seriously, are you telling me I can't enter a frequency from the keypad and press "Enter" and listen? I've been doing this hobby for almost 50 years and this seems wildly bizarre to me that this is not possible... Unless there is a smartphone app that I can use via Bluetooth or something...

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That is a really good idea .. maybe Whistler will agree.

I agree.
One would think that a direct entry quick tune could be added via firmware pretty easily unless there are other obstacles such as the mode that would also need to be coded in for user selection.
AM or FM modulation should be able to be taken from the common table and I think the radio itself is smart enough to figure out the digital mode used when it detects a signal.
I know the old GRE PSR500 and 600's hade a 'Tune' button that allowed direct entry of any frequency in the radio's range and they also detected the mode when the signal appeared.

rustynswrail

To add insult to injury, the Uniden x36HP series can do it and do it successfully. Channel, frequency, channel simple as that. It is able to detect mode, modulation etc with little fuss.

If Whistler are reading this and we know they are, there appears to be a demand for this function, so how about it?

By the way that was a rhetorical question.

R

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
From page 27 of the manual:

Manual Programming - Enter
Conventional Frequency
1. Press MENU to access Main Menu.
2. Scroll to and select “Program Menu” then “Add
Conv Freq”.
3. Simply write over the existing frequency or press
“SKIP” to clear. Using the alphanumeric keypad
or the (up/down arrow), (left/right arrow) buttons, enter the desired
conventional frequency. Press SEL when finished.
4. Scroll to “Save Changes” then press SEL.
5. Press MENU returns to Main menu.

I added the text in parentheses because there were graphics there that did not copy and paste.

Never mind.

VE3SCP

Premium Subscriber
Yes I miss the TUNE button from the PSR-500. Otherwise great scanner!!

SCPD

QRT
Seriously, are you telling me I can't enter a frequency from the keypad and press "Enter" and listen? I've been doing this hobby for almost 50 years and this seems wildly bizarre to me that this is not possible... Unless there is a smartphone app that I can use via Bluetooth or something...

Nope .. even the GRE PSR-500 of X years ago could do this .. and with the keypad on the TRX-1 this should be a no brainer. But .. I did not design this scanner, but it would be something that I would have included right from the main menu.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
It's noted a few posts above how to do it...

No, it may not be just reaching over and punching in numbers but it's possible.

SCPD

QRT
It's noted a few posts above how to do it...

No, it may not be just reaching over and punching in numbers but it's possible.

Not the point .. we do not want to have to program the frequency into a scan list in order to simply listen to it, just like tune mode of the past scanners. Even my Realistic Pro 2001 from 1978 allows me to do this. Just saying. :D

I see that we can send Whistler Wendy an email as per this thread below.

http://forums.radioreference.com/wh...ture-requests-suggestions-see-email-link.html

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes, submit it and maybe they can add it in a future firmware update.

And oh yes I know what you are meaning.

Of course, I can also see the other side - this is not 1978 now and scanners are programmed via computer and the Internet (database downloads) instead of by hand like back then. I would suspect that is part of the thought process in not having this ability.

If enough request it then maybe they will bring it back.

SCPD

QRT
I just sent Whistler an email .. all I can do.

But as a PSR-500 owner myself tune mode is one of the greatest features of that radio and why I still use it. Sounds like there are others that miss it too by reading this thread.

I hope that Whistler will add it back in, at least on scanners with a full keypad where it would be a super simple thing to add to the main menu.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Tune feature

I suspect there may be a way to get 'Tune' into the main menu. I hope Whistler responds positively. I love my TRX-1--it's very cumbersome compared to the PSR500, but it's world of improvement over the PSR800!

73/Allen (N4JRI)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I regularly switch between my 436HP and TRX-1 (had for 4 months) as my go-to-portable scanners. Lack of the ability to just enter a frequency and listen, without placing it in a scan list, is an issue. Would be nice if Whistler could add. Why they're at it, how about some way to set the dwell time to trunk systems from within the scanner menu without need to go to EZ scan. (or am I missing something?).

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I regularly switch between my 436HP and TRX-1 (had for 4 months) as my go-to-portable scanners. Lack of the ability to just enter a frequency and listen, without placing it in a scan list, is an issue. Would be nice if Whistler could add. Why they're at it, how about some way to set the dwell time to trunk systems from within the scanner menu without need to go to EZ scan. (or am I missing something?).

You can get to dwell time through the scanner menu. Hit menu, Program menu, Edit System, choose your system, scroll down, dwell time is right below AGC.

jeffm77

Premium Subscriber
i am thinking about getting the trx1. can i use the same software for my 1088, i believe it is called ezscan, or will the program cause conflict with my other whistler radio? I guess i am wanting to know if i can run both radios off the same software, and will the software know witch radio is connected. Also, when is NXDN going to be added? Thanks all

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Not being able to do this is why I will not replace my PS-600s with current scanners. I have complained before about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.