just got a NX-210

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
just wondered is railroad going NXDN Conv or NXDN Trunking? you think trunking would confuse things? let me know your thoughts thanks!

ab3ai

I think it would be mostly conv. I've heard of a few yards having trunked systems, but none in my neck of the woods. Road traffic would be conv.

stevelton

Some railroads are buying Icom NXDN radios, some Kenwood, and some Ritron, and some railroads are buying all 3. The Ritron doesnt even have trunking, and the Icom and Kenwood trunking does not work together.

So If trunking were to get used in the yards, then only yard engines with a compatible NXDN trunking radio could talk on those talk-groups. That would be an interoperability issue, as some railroad use engines from other railroads in their yard switching duties.

Railroads ARE going NXDN digital sometime in the not so far future, and road operations will be Conventional and in the clear. They dont need to add any base stations, or do anything to the lineside infastructure, because digital carries just as far as analog (I know because of extensive testing with NXDN radios). Many of the railroads around here have already converted the wayside base radios to NXDN, so all it will take is a "flip of the switch". Also, out in the rural areas, like here in Southern Illinois, most if not all main line road channels will stay on the same frequency they are on now, just transmitting NXDN mode.

Mainly the railfans in the metro areas of big cities like Chicago and LA are going to be the ones have to adjust to a new frequency.
I have an Icom F3161ds, and it and my F6121d uhf digital mobile are my favorite Icom LMR radios. Our ham group is using NXDN, the local PD and EMA are using NXDN, there is a trucking company that has a wide area NXDN system.
Most of the class 1 railroads in this area have already added 4k00 emmission to the licenses.
Im ready and waiting!
Steven

K4SVT

Banned
Nxdn

mandate for us is

CSX Atlanta W&A 2/1/12 NXDN....Sweet!

stevelton

mandate for us is

CSX Atlanta W&A 2/1/12 NXDN....Sweet!

Congrats. My buddy and I were testing NXDN a whie back, and just to see how it handled noise, I drove down the highway with windows down, stereo blasting, my wife talking, and honking my horn, and my buddy heard all of it, but it didnt prevent him from completelt understanding me.
I look forward to seeing the RR switching!!!!
Steven

K4SVT

Banned
yes i turned that radio up and it got loud but can still understand it...its going to be a cool digital mode..hope that is what the plan is for the narrowband.

K4SVT

Banned
Rail

W&A Subdivision Wauhatchie, Tennessee N. Elizabeth, Georgia Owned by the state of Georgia, leased to CSX for 99 years. Former L&N i live by 30.9 Moon Milpost on Baker Rd.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Our RR MNRR NYC and outer boroughs, is going ICOM, eventually for support services only. In fact today we are hooking up another site to our multi-cast wide area system at GCT. At first it will be conventional, but as we get the bugs out of it and add more users it's going to go trunked with 3 channels per site for now. (I applied for 20 and was laughed at) The MOW H&H and N Haven channels are supposed to also go digital to offset the loss of our use of Nexhell next year. In some areas we are using the digital as the IP transport then going back to analog to service the nearly 5000 portables in our system. True pure digital, I suspect is going to be sometime down the road. For RTC even longer, hopefully after I retire. LOL

bobbymac746

Eeprom

I apologize if this isn't the right threat to post this in. I work for the RR Police and have to carry 4 different radios depending where I am to get backup, due to some being on UHF/VHF, 800mhz, and 700mhz.

My RR radio is the Nexedge Kenwood 210. I bought the software and cable so I could put some of the other agencies in the radio so I dont have to carry so many radios.

When I connect it and start the software, it doesn't show anything. I click on READ and it says that its passwords protected. Apparently the Radio Shop at the railroad password protected it so the TX and RX's can't go in the wrong hands if the radio is lost. They won't give me the password and they wont modify it for me.

In my opinion its a safety issue but they don't seem to see it that way.

Anyway, how can i get by having to put that password in. I heard the EEPROM has the password in plain text, but I dont know where to find (or even what the heck ) the EEPROM is.

Can anyone help me out with that, so I can add some of these other agencies and carry less radios?
thanks in advance!

Nasby

You are a railroad cop and the radio shop workers won't give you the password for the radio??
Well that's a helluva way to run a railroad!
You might just be better off carrying a cell phone with all the local agencies dispatch number programmed in and just use your Kenwood radio for railroad coms.

bobbymac746

sad

yea.. unfortunately there are never any other Agents working when I work. I have to rely on the local PDs in the inner City's for backup and its never the same crew since there are so many, so I need the radios.

cifn2

Feed Provider
That sucks does the RR PD not have an interoperability plan by state and federal guidelines?

K4SVT

Banned
Cp

bobbymac746 can you send me your Codeplug? i'll see what i can to help out...k4svt2009@gmail.com thanks

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I apologize if this isn't the right threat to post this in. I work for the RR Police and have to carry 4 different radios depending where I am to get backup, due to some being on UHF/VHF, 800mhz, and 700mhz.

My RR radio is the Nexedge Kenwood 210. I bought the software and cable so I could put some of the other agencies in the radio so I dont have to carry so many radios.

When I connect it and start the software, it doesn't show anything. I click on READ and it says that its passwords protected. Apparently the Radio Shop at the railroad password protected it so the TX and RX's can't go in the wrong hands if the radio is lost. They won't give me the password and they wont modify it for me.

In my opinion its a safety issue but they don't seem to see it that way.

Anyway, how can i get by having to put that password in. I heard the EEPROM has the password in plain text, but I dont know where to find (or even what the heck ) the EEPROM is.

Can anyone help me out with that, so I can add some of these other agencies and carry less radios?
thanks in advance!

Just a thought, why not contact your supervisor or radio shop before tampering with your employer's property without authorization? In some states, this might even be considered computer trespass. This isn't 1989, people get fired, lose careers and have even gone to prison for such activities.

If there is a password on it, there is a reason for it. Making changes to your own stuff is cool, but this radio belongs to your employer...how much do you value your job?

Ask this guy about how well similar hacks to his department radios worked out for him:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...-anyone-can-program-my-radios.html#post729378

Status
Not open for further replies.