• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kenwood NX-3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, here ya go.
NX-5000 on the LEFT
NX-3000 on the RIGHT

The NX-3000 was an engineering model was on display at IWCE, no FCC tags yet. Should hit he market soon. VHF and UHF first, followed by 800 and 900MHz models later in the year.
There are a couple of model variations:
-2 pin audio connector
-multi-pin audio connector.
-2 pin audio connector model will have 256 channels (I think that's what he said)
-multi-pin audio connector model will have 512 channels.
-IP67 rating
-build in GPS
-Limited keypad and full keypad models.

No firmware or programming software on display, so that's what I know.

NX-3000 will do Analog and NXDN -or- Analog and DMR. Will NOT, repeat NOT, do DMR and NXDN at the same time. While the radio will be sold supporting both, when you set up the radio a radio wide function will allow NXDN -OR- DMR. The radio will only do Analog and NXDN -OR Analog and DMR. To switch, you'll have to go into the software and select the other digital mode. (again, this is what was said by Kenwood staff.)

It will -NOT- do P25. If you want P25, you'll need to purchase the NX-5000 line. This radio model is intended to be a mid tier model, not a public safety model.
If you want Analog, NXDN and DMR, you'll need to purchase an NX-5000.

Will do BlueTooth, not sure if it's an option or included. Again, these were engineering models, so while it's close to the finished product, there are still details being worked out

LCD screen, NOT color.

Pricing was said to be under the NX-210/NX-410 models.

IMG_5137_zpsj67fujmn.jpg

There is also an NX-3000 mobile:

Same features as the portable.
Will have a remote head option, but none on display yet.
IMG_5146_zpsyvbpcfjc.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One more photo of the NX-3000:

IMG_5138_zps5wfmor0m.jpg

Top LED "bar" on the NX-3000 will be a Seven (7) color LED. I was told you can program channels to light up different colors. No further info on other LED related functions.

Sort of like the old "Color Dot" channels, you could tell someone to go to the "Red" channel, and without looking at the screen/taking radio off the belt, twist the channel knob until the LED is the color for the channel you want.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Awesome, Matt - thanks for sharing. I'm sure those photos will be very helpful to many folks, especially the side-by-side shots. Disappointing it won't do NXDN and DMR at the same time but but then again I'm not too surprised. Still looks nice.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Awesome, Matt - thanks for sharing. I'm sure those photos will be very helpful to many folks, especially the side-by-side shots. Disappointing it won't do NXDN and DMR at the same time but but then again I'm not too surprised. Still looks nice.

Yeah, I asked about that.
Kenwood is trying to have products on the market that will fill the customer needs and be affordable. This radio isn't intended to be the multimode digital radio like the NX-5000. It's intended to be a single product that can be programmed to fit a customers need.

The NX-5000 is the radio you want for P25, DMR and NXDN. Specifically a higher tier product.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I asked about that.
Kenwood is trying to have products on the market that will fill the customer needs and be affordable. This radio isn't intended to be the multimode digital radio like the NX-5000. It's intended to be a single product that can be programmed to fit a customers need.

That sounds very sensible. Most users would have no need for multi-format radios.

Sent via Tapatalk

domes

Looks like a good dealer stocking radio for typical B&I customer. Have 1 box on the shelf that can be programmed for either type system. I like it.

N4KVE

Looks like a good dealer stocking radio for typical B&I customer. Have 1 box on the shelf that can be programmed for either type system. I like it.
Will the FW flash be free to convert from one format to the other? Or will the dealer have to carry 2 different models?

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
Will the FW flash be free to convert from one format to the other? Or will the dealer have to carry 2 different models?

If it's like the NX-5000 series you wouldn't need to change the firmware. Just a different code plug enabling the digital format you're selecting. You just can't have a codeplug that enabled both at the same time.

This might not work the same, though.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The radio is supposed to do both out of the box, however only one digital mode active in the radio at a time. You won't need to update firmware to switch from NXDN to DMR or vice versa. It's supposed to be a radio wide setting that you choose when programming.

Again, this radio has -not- be released yet, so some of this can change, but do keep in mind that they are not wanting to take away sales from the NX-5000 line of radios. Some of the higher end features will require purchasing the NX-5000.

domes

It is my understanding is that the NX-3000 will be a universal stock radio. One model radio that will do the entire band. The UHF model will be capable of 400 to 520MHz but you click a box to choose the split you want when you set it up. The NX-300 & 320 have 2 models: one for 400-470 and another for 450-520. I imagine you would program the 3000 to operate in one or the other split.

Status
Not open for further replies.