Kenwood: Kenwood TH-K20 Computer Programming

Alcojack

Feed Provider
Has anyone tried the "8 in 1 USB programming cables" on Amazon to program a Kenwood TH-K20 with a computer? These are the ones that have that have 8 different connectors, come with a disk and claim to work with almost any radio. The OEM Kenwood cable has a serial connector on one end and I don't have a serial port on my PC. Thanks :)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This is my go-to source for non-OEM cables. These cables use FTDI chips and, in my experience, always work well.

wd9ewk

Has anyone tried the "8 in 1 USB programming cables" on Amazon to program a Kenwood TH-K20 with a computer? These are the ones that have that have 8 different connectors, come with a disk and claim to work with almost any radio. The OEM Kenwood cable has a serial connector on one end and I don't have a serial port on my PC. Thanks :)

I don't have a TH-K20, but have used one of those programming cable bundles with a TH-D7, along with other radios from Icom, Yaesu, Baofeng, and Wouxun. When Windows 11 stopped the use of some of the cables with Prolific chips, I went with this 7-in-1 set that uses an FTDI chip:

IMG_20230922_095250239.jpg

Works fine on my Windows PCs (7, 10, and 11), as well as a laptop with Linux (Fedora 38). Costs more than some of the other "(something)-in-1" cable sets, but it works for every radio I have that doesn't come with a USB port.

Good luck!