• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-95 and KPG-112 and Kenwood terminology question

twl911

I have recently added a TK-5210K2 to my collection, and will be used by my son as his volunteer fire dept radio, upgrading his current tk-2180.

I thought KPG-95 would be easy enough to figure out, as I have experience programming, and own multiple Kenwoods (2140,2180,5220,780,7150,5720). I also have a collection of Motorola's, Vertex, and a Harris XG100P all of which I can program without issue.
KPG-95 is throwing me curve ball. Mostly with it's terminology, I am assuming it was a transitional phase for Kenwood as the newer KPG-112 makes more sense to me as zones and channels are treated and laid out.
The use of systems is where I get confused. I understand the 5210 is a trunking capable radio and somewhat remember systems and groups when setting up my old X80 series radios, and the problems I had setting them up.

My main question is; How should I setup this radio? My knowledge of programming terminology leans strongly Motorola.

I want to program probably 60-80 conventional semi-duplex analog and P25 channels(personalities) in 5 or 6 groups (zones). I also want to be able to scan across multiple zones and be able to edit zone members and zones being scanned just like my TK-5220 is setup. I am beginning to wonder if this radio will even do what I want.
Before anybody says "you're a newbie, have someone do it for you" I've been programming for almost 30 years, for police and fire department. Starting in the days of DOS RSS so I will not pay someone to do it.

I think the term "system" is where I am getting confused.
Can I put all personalities broken into zones in one system? Or do I need to treat my "zones" as systems?
I also see no option to program any key(s) as a zone add/delete function. I am able to add/delete channels and the zone indicator triangle will randomly appear or disappear with the same button. KPG-112 has no mention of systems anywhere I can find

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
You'd need a p25 trunking system skf for kpg 112 for starters.
As for the 95DN, things get way expensive quickly for that.

twl911

You'd need a p25 trunking system skf for kpg 112 for starters.
As for the 95DN, things get way expensive quickly for that.

Huh? I have the software and hardware. I just can't figure out where the frequencies are setup for my desired application.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
KPG-95 to me is the worst Kenwood software, they were trying to get it as close to Astro CPS as possible, and they missed the mark IMHO.

You need to configure a system for conventional use, and then crate a personality for each channel you want. Then go to the Zone/Channel parms and enter the system number and personality number.

Good Luck, KPG95 did have a step learning curve for a lot of us Kenwood people.

Jim