• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KPG-D1N programming question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
I let a shop talk me into purchasing the programming software and cable for my NX-5200. For the department I am with I needed to have the shop program in a P25 network that I won't be given the network/access key to. I was given the impression that I would still be able to program the conventional side of the radio like I could with my TK-5210. So I stupidly went along with it and dropped $1500 on all the stuff they said I needed and the P25 programming. I got the radio back today and find out that without the access/network key for the P25 network the software cannot read the radio and I therefore cannot program or do anything to the radio. Is there any way around this or did I just get ripped off big time? I attached a screenshot of the error I get when trying to read the radio. The software has a dealer key if that matters.

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
There is a way to get what is called a source data file, just for your radio. Long story short.

Without a skf for the p25 system, no you won't be able to make changes period, unless you get FPP, that will give you access to the other zones, but not the p25 system, via the keypad.

You can email me if you need more detailed information.

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
That's what I was afraid of. Wish not having the skf only locked me out of the P25 side not the entire radio. I looked into the fpp key but not willing to drop that sort of cash to only be able to program a portion. I wanted to be able to access the whole radio minus the p25. That also means I dropped cash on function keys (DMR/NXDN/SDcard), software, and a programming cable that I can't use due to false information. If I remove the P25 network will I have access to the rest of the radio? But then that means I wasted $500~ on the phase I key. Man this sucks! No idea why Kenwood has it locked down like this. Guess they aren't expecting individuals to own these radios and departments instead. I didn't have this issue on my TK-5210 should just have stuck with that till phase II rolled out in a few years.

Last edited:

Cognomen

If you can get the trunking info removed, you'll be able to program the radio conventionally. Trunking is locked down because nobody wants "just anyone" to be able to put unauthorized radios on their systems.

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
If you can get the trunking info removed, you'll be able to program the radio conventionally. Trunking is locked down because nobody wants "just anyone" to be able to put unauthorized radios on their systems.
That's the plan. I also understand locking down P25 I just don't understand locking the entire radio down as well. I can't even change simple functions like the clock.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to make a clarification comment for folks reading this post in the future: Although it's been repeatedly explained in prior threads, Kenwood radios are 100% USELESS for non-affiliate scanning of any trunking system, whether P25 or Kenwood Nexedge trunking.

Do not even try it or spend any time thinking about it. Find another option. It's very simple, just don't go there. Kenwood stuff is awesome at many things, NAS is not one of them. Whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder and ultimately irrelevant because they can't be used for it, and there are numerous other great options for NAS.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Okay, if they will do this, and hand you the file, you will be able to make adjustments to your radio.
As I was saying, consult with the system admin / radio shop.
This is part of the Kenwood/EFJI training with a Atlas system.

1643491361145.png

Single Radio File (.srf) (File Menu > Save As)
  • File Menu > Save As
Single Radio File (.srf)

Selecting "Save As" > "Single Radio File (.srf)" stores the current configuration data or network data to the specified drive, folder, and file name, allowing renaming or redirecting the file to a new location. Single Radio files have ".srf" as the file extension.

A Single Radio file contains the configuration information that can be referenced of a P25 Trunking system. A field engineer can open a Single Radio file by using KPG-D1 even if the field engineer does not have a System Key File or Access Key for P25.

If all System Key Files or Access Keys used when creating a Single Radio file exist:

1. Select "Save As" > "Single Radio File (.srf)" from the "
    Application
    " tab.
    • Single Radio File appears.
  2. Configure the following functions:
  3. Click the "Save" button.
    • Save As opens and the currently selected folder and file name appear.
  4. Select the desired folder and file name.
  5. Type the desired file name, if different from the current name, and then click the "Save" button or press the [Enter]key.
    • If the same file name exists under the current folder, a warning message appears to confirm the intention to overwrite the existing file and lose the previous file data. Click the "Yes" button to overwrite the file or the "No" button to cancel.
Note:

• If a Single Radio file is protected by a password, Read Authorization Password and Overwrite Password can be configured in Password Change by clicking the "Data Password" button. Refer to Data Password for the configuration of each password.

• If Consecutive Save is enabled, Single Radio File remains active even if a PC completes saving configuration data to the PC.

If even one of the System Key Files or Access Keys used when creating a Single Radio file does not exist:

1. Select "Save As" > "Single Radio File (.srf)" from the "
    Application
    " tab.
    • Save As opens and the currently selected folder and file name appear.
  2. Select the desired folder and file name.
  3. Type the desired file name, if different from the current name, and then click the "Save" button or press the [Enter]key.
    • If the same file name exists under the current folder, a warning message appears to confirm the intention to overwrite the existing file and lose the previous file data. Click the "Yes" button to overwrite the file or the "No" button to cancel.
Note:

• The configuration data can be saved as a Single Radio file by selecting "Single Radio File (.srf)" from Save As only if even one system with "P25 Trunking" configured in System Type of System Information exists.

• This function cannot be configured for NX-5200S/ NX-5300S/ NX-5600H/ NX-5700S/ NX-5800S.

1643492237237.png

1643492526349.png

Last edited:

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
by the way, i have a personal P25 system key just for training purposes, and have created SRF files that allowed editing various functions of the 5000 series. What it does NOT do is NXDN Trunking SRF (which would be nice to have also for the hams who pay to use our Florida System)

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
by the way, i have a personal P25 system key just for training purposes, and have created SRF files that allowed editing various functions of the 5000 series. What it does NOT do is NXDN Trunking SRF (which would be nice to have also for the hams who pay to use our Florida System)
So would this allow me to change any setting on the radio or just certain items? I have no intention of messing with the P25 side I just want access to the rest of the radio (like how it used to be with say KPG-95DGN where no system key still mean the conventional side was still changeable). If it allows "full" access to the radio that would save me a huge headache, the shop wouldn't have to refund me any money, and I can use my radio the way I want.

I just wanted to make a clarification comment for folks reading this post in the future: Although it's been repeatedly explained in prior threads, Kenwood radios are 100% USELESS for non-affiliate scanning of any trunking system, whether P25 or Kenwood Nexedge trunking.

Do not even try it or spend any time thinking about it. Find another option. It's very simple, just don't go there. Kenwood stuff is awesome at many things, NAS is not one of them. Whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder and ultimately irrelevant because they can't be used for it, and there are numerous other great options for NAS.

I'm not using this as a scanner but as my work radio. I have a P25 ID issued to me by the state for my position so I can use the P25 network. I just want access to the radio as I purchased it and everything associated with it.

Last edited:

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
So reading more into the SRF I found the following:

The Single Radio File (extension is srf) is a special Programming Data File. The programming data file is saved as “Single Radio File (.srf)” using KPG-D1/D1N. With the Single Radio file neither a System Key File (SKF) nor USB Hardware Access Key is required to load programming data for the P25 trunking system into the radio.

The System administrator prepares the SRF using their SKF and the dealer’s appropriate access key with KPG-D1/D1N. The SRF is provided to the dealer or end-user to load into the targeted radio only. The SRF cannot be edited, copied, its contents deleted, or loaded into any other radio. It may be viewed and loaded in the targeted radio only.

This method provides security of the P25 Trunking system while still providing flexibility to the system owner and their customers.

So that sounds like it wouldn't allow me to do anything with it and would only be for the P25 portion.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
It will let you change the conventional portions and menus. What your finding states, is true, it locks to you radio serial or ESN, and can lock any other changes to the TRUNKING portion. But you will still be able to customize your radio settings as needed. At least that's what I have done with NXDN trunking, locks the user to just their GID and UID, but they can modify there user stuff and and anything conventional.

What the SRF means, is that the file it self can be hex edit, blah blah blah, but made for your serial and or ESN and can not be DUP'ed to another
5000 radio. You CAN make changes to all items below the TRUNK portion of the D1, and your radio.
All you can really do is work with the radio shop on setting up your SRF, and go from there.

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
It will let you change the conventional portions and menus. What your finding states, is true, it locks to you radio serial or ESN, and can lock any other changes to the TRUNKING portion. But you will still be able to customize your radio settings as needed. At least that's what I have done with NXDN trunking, locks the user to just their GID and UID, but they can modify there user stuff and and anything conventional.

What the SRF means, is that the file it self can be hex edit, blah blah blah, but made for your serial and or ESN and can not be DUP'ed to another
5000 radio. You CAN make changes to all items below the TRUNK portion of the D1, and your radio.
All you can really do is work with the radio shop on setting up your SRF, and go from there.
I will reach out to them. The programmer I had been working with is pretty laid back and will probably work with me. I'll also mention that if we can't do that I will have a programming list with almost 300 channels he would get the pleasure of entering. Plus doing the SRF would mean the shop doesn't have to fork over half of what I paid. Thanks for pointing this out though. Just might be the middle of the road solution we both can agree on.

Last edited:

wd8chl

I've run into this here, where someone else from one of our shops programmed a ton of NX and TK's on the statewide system, using srf's, then didn't save the files. Now we're locked out of those radios. Can't even fix ignition sense settings.
Moral: If you have these radios that use D1N on a trunked system, get the srf's and SAVE THEM somewhere secure, in multiple places!

Status
Not open for further replies.