LAFD Portable Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
What portables radios did the LAFD used before the XTS 5000s? I saw a video online from the early 2000s where a portable has a large rectangular speaker mic with what looks like a small display and a full DTMF keypad on it.

KE6QBV

What portables radios did the LAFD used before the XTS 5000s? I saw a video online from the early 2000s where a portable has a large rectangular speaker mic with what looks like a small display and a full DTMF keypad on it.
Perhaps you could share a link to the video you saw? That way we can give you a definite answer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Matakovich1

LAFD used Motorola STX 800mhz conventional radios. When they started to phase them out I was able to pick one up for about $300 with charger, mic, battery, and still programed. It showed some age, smelled like smoke but stilled worked. I ended up selling it when I moved to the east coast because I was not in LA anymore and all police, fire and EMS where on VHF or UHF.

prcguy

In the late 1960s or possibly the very early 70s LAFD was issued hand helds made by Kaar. I don't remember if these were on the 33MHz channels or the newer UHF T band, but I got to play with them as a kid.

prcguy

The LAFD Kaar radios looked much different and older. They were black with chrome speaker grille and kind of flat and squatty with controls on top. I think the antenna was a pull out telescoping whip. The whip makes me think they were on 33MHz.

I sort of remember a UHF T band hand held with speaker mic that came later but I really remember the T band vehicle radios with A/S 5dB antennas on a custom made tripod with ground plane up high on the rigs. They also had a little box with push buttons for basic radio responses like on scene, etc. My first thoughts back then knowing just a little about radios was how is UHF T band going to go more than a mile at such a high frequency? Oh well, live and learn. I also had occasional conversations with the LAFD radio repair guys in the 60s and 70s about what they did and what it takes to become one.

Otherwise my dad was LAFD from about 1946 through 1975 and I grew up at fire station 53 (no longer exists) and the signal office still across the street, then later at station 101. Instead of Tonka fire trucks as a kid I played with the real ones.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The LAFD Kaar radios looked much different and older. They were black with chrome speaker grille and kind of flat and squatty with controls on top. I think the antenna was a pull out telescoping whip. The whip makes me think they were on 33MHz.

I sort of remember a UHF T band hand held with speaker mic that came later but I really remember the T band vehicle radios with A/S 5dB antennas on a custom made tripod with ground plane up high on the rigs. They also had a little box with push buttons for basic radio responses like on scene, etc. My first thoughts back then knowing just a little about radios was how is UHF T band going to go more than a mile at such a high frequency? Oh well, live and learn.

That sounds like a Repco radio.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
I've got a few MX800s.

LAFD had an SP display speaker mic for their MX800s. I've got a few MX800s, but no speakers mics for em.

A screengrab from LAPD Life On The Beat.
HQrloUE.jpg

My MX800

23534243362_9ca12a9b31_h.jpg

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The Mic reminded me of the Saber SVA enhanced keypad mic...I saw a few at a Hamfest many years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.