Latest CHP Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Hearing downlink or uplink "skip"

I am hearing what sounds like skip interference on Riverside 39.6800. I have CTCSS on and it is the same tone. I checked the 6 meter ham band and it appears to be "open" as well. A lot of activity. I cannot get a call sign and I don't know morse code.
When you're hearing distant signals on a local repeater frequency like 39.68 in this case, keep in mind that you may be hearing 39.68 coming in directly, or you may be hearing the input freq (42.02 is it?) keying up CHP's repeaters. Sometimes listening for the double kerchunk may give you a clue. Also, keep an ear out for them to transmit the time, which may help you narrow down the possible sources. For what good it will do us :)

tomasG

It was definitely on 39.6800. Riverside would drop off and the other station could be heard transmitting. I could barely hear the CW IDer thingy, but it was there. I wonder who and where else the tone of 118.8 is in use.

oracavon

Lots of skip tonight - more temporary freq changes

Baldwin Park just switched to "Blue" (presumably Blue 2) and Santa Fe Springs just switched to Tac 5 and Tac 6 due to interference issues. I couldn't understand what was coming in on Baldwin Park's channel, but the skip on Santa Fe Springs' channel referred to highways 44 and 249, which are in Minnesota.

I wonder how long it's going to take the radio people to sort this stuff out. Must be really annoying for the officers and dispatchers to have to keep switching channels due to unpredictable skip interference. Kinda defeats the purpose of "upgrading" the radio system.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
orcavon:

That's Missouri Highway Patrol Troop"A" in the Kansas City Missouri area. It sounds great through the repeater, doesn't it? I'll try to identify the skip on the Orange channel.

oracavon

orcavon:

That's Missouri Highway Patrol Troop"A" in the Kansas City Missouri area. It sounds great through the repeater, doesn't it? I'll try to identify the skip on the Orange channel.

Yup, I guess it is Missouri. They have a 249/44 intersection there as well. Their audio is a little too faded for me to keep following.

oracavon

orcavon:

Actually, I'm hearing MHP Troop C in St. Charles County, on the opposite side of the state. They're searching for a pursuit suspect with the St. Charles County units.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
same thing happening in norcal - chp brown chico -

some genius never researched that missouri has the same PLs
if they had left the pls at the old tones - wouldnt be a problem

up north we get troop f and h

definitely F Troop

when licensing low band freqs good idea to look at nationwide usage of the same freqs esp when u can look on radioref and see its the same pl they switched to

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber

up north we get troop f and h

definitely F Troop

when licensing low band freqs good idea to look at nationwide usage of the same freqs esp when u can look on radioref and see its the same pl they switched to

There is a low band State Police frequency usage plan that APCO generated some time back and maintains to prevent this very problem. The existence of plan was pointed out to the CHP when the CHPERS planning started in early 2006. Like many things the CHP got advise on from peers around the country, this little factoid was ignored.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
That's Troop A on the Gold and Troop C on the Orange. Notice the Troop C dispatcher identifies the frequency with the link callsign.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber

Not necessarily. If your receiver is quiet you'll usually only pick up signals coming in with "your" tone of course. But once one of your stations/cars is transmitting and your receiver is thus "open," anybody else on the frequency who's strong enough (regardless of their PL) can tag along and double with (or clobber) your guy's signal. A couple of Missouri's 42 MHz transmitters are licensed for 10,000 and 15,000 watts, which doesn't help CHP much either.

We used to have that problem in L.A. in the VHF-high days. When skip was in town, a couple San Diego PD (or SO?) frequencies would occasionally piggyback onto our Central or Rampart cars' transmissions and mess with them, sometimes making them unreadable. If our units weren't talking we'd never hear a peep from San Diego, but they would come in if our guys were transmitting.

Even worse and more constant for us was Pomona PD who used 155.55, the same frequency as LAPD Venice Div mobiles. I don't remember what tone, if any, Pomona used, but L.A. tried various fixes such as changing PL tones a couple times, and trying different receiver sites, but we still had many hours of intermod trying to hear the Venice units. Weekend nights were usually the worst, since Pomona would obviously be busier just like we were. "Repeat" became as common a word as "Roger" for the dispatcher. One of the very first things they did when they got the T-band frequencies was to drop 155.55 from the license in 1978 and give Venice the old Newton Div freq (155.25). Newton then became one of the test divisions for the new "ROVER" system (506.9375 at first, IIRC).

Last edited:

PJaxx

What am I misunderstanding?

I'm not understanding CTCSS right, I guess. I thought that Private Line or Quiet Channel or whatever trademark names they use meant just that, that you can't get through on a frequency if you are not using the proper tone. So if a CHP repeater is programmed to hear and repeat only broadcasts with, say, a 110.9 tone, are you saying that if someone has enough power but the wrong tone they can still get through and activate the repeater? I thought that the tone was like a "key," and you can't unlock the repeater if you don't have the correct key or PL tone.

Is there a "but if" that I am missing here? Thank you.

Not necessarily. If your receiver is quiet you'll usually only pick up signals coming in with "your" tone of course. But once one of your stations/cars is transmitting and your receiver is thus "open," anybody else on the frequency who's strong enough (regardless of their PL) can tag along and double with (or clobber) your guy's signal. A couple of Missouri's 42 MHz transmitters are licensed for 10,000 and 15,000 watts, which doesn't help CHP much either.

W6KRU

I'm not understanding CTCSS right, I guess. I thought that Private Line or Quiet Channel or whatever trademark names they use meant just that, that you can't get through on a frequency if you are not using the proper tone. So if a CHP repeater is programmed to hear and repeat only broadcasts with, say, a 110.9 tone, are you saying that if someone has enough power but the wrong tone they can still get through and activate the repeater? I thought that the tone was like a "key," and you can't unlock the repeater if you don't have the correct key or PL tone.

Is there a "but if" that I am missing here? Thank you.

If one station transmits with the correct tone, it will open the squelch on the receiver of the repeater. While the squelch circuit of the receiver is open, it will pass all traffic that comes in from the antenna including a signal from a second station without the correct tone.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Kinda sorta like person A opening a locked door with a key, and person B sneaking right in behind person A even though person B doesn't have "permission" to come in.

DPD1

It sounds good. So obviously they went with the different freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.